Carvin Kits - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Carvin Kits

I was thinking about getting one of these as it could be good fun. Does any one know if these guitar kits are any good? I know the pickups will most probably be crap so i'll up grade them. Also as it only comes with a normal trem will it be hard to convert to take a FR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 04:02 AM

I'm thinking of the same thing too, someone please reply.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 04:05 AM

sounds interesting!
anyone got a link or pics?
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 08:52 AM

They ROCK. Very nice parts; just got my kit. My favorite neck of all time. Note that you can get the same options on the kits (at half off!) that you can on a pre-finished Bolt guitar, so check the web site for those. I got stainless steel frets, abalone block inlays, and black sperzels on mine - for $450 shipped. Also, you CAN get a Bolt Plus kit (rear routed) for $50 more, and THOSE are available with an OFR. $50 off thru Oct. 31.

I'm not a salesman for Carvin, but I like to prop them - they are a cool company with awesome stuff...
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 08:53 AM

*goofy double post...*
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 12:16 PM

A client had me build one for him. He got it and then felt like he wouldn't have the skills/time to finish it, mostly because of the paint work he wanted. He got a mahogany body for it which was cool, and then we did a thin vintage cherry SG style finish. I'm not saying I was surprised by the quality, because I knew it would be good. I was surprised about how much they actually do for you though. It was the easiest assembly I ever did. All they really do is leave the paint off. It's an unbelievable price for that much quality stuff. I have no use for one otherwise I'd get one. It's a great neck profile, although I don't like it personally. But it's very "Ibanez-user compatible" (I wonder if you can get a Holdsworth neck profile)

Anyway, the point is, you can't lose. I'd suggest trying the Holdsworth pup in the bridge if they allow it. From what I heard Duncan basically gave them all the specs from the Duncan Holdsworth model because they have a good working relationship.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankfalbo
A client had me build one for him. He got it and then felt like he wouldn't have the skills/time to finish it, mostly because of the paint work he wanted. He got a mahogany body for it which was cool, and then we did a thin vintage cherry SG style finish. I'm not saying I was surprised by the quality, because I knew it would be good. I was surprised about how much they actually do for you though. It was the easiest assembly I ever did. All they really do is leave the paint off. It's an unbelievable price for that much quality stuff. I have no use for one otherwise I'd get one. It's a great neck profile, although I don't like it personally. But it's very "Ibanez-user compatible" (I wonder if you can get a Holdsworth neck profile)

Anyway, the point is, you can't lose. I'd suggest trying the Holdsworth pup in the bridge if they allow it. From what I heard Duncan basically gave them all the specs from the Duncan Holdsworth model because they have a good working relationship.
If they do the holdsworth neck profile sign me up!

The holdsworth buckers do rule too, although I still hear people saying that the old duncan buckers are "better." However that is probably more psychological than anything. I have never tried the Duncan so I have no opinion on it.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-23-2005, 06:07 PM

Re: Carvin Kits

dude my friend just got one of the bolt kits, i played it, it was orgasmic, the neck is amazing amazing just pure amazing im getting 2 of them. one trem one with out trem. i cant wait. oh did i say the neck is amazing ?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by power freak
If they do the holdsworth neck profile sign me up!

They might do the Holdsworth neck profile as an option if you ask. They do special request profiles sometimes (but it voids the "send it back within 10 days if you don't like it" policy and is not subject to the "50% off options" deal). They also offer radius options. The stock radius is 12". You can get 14" or 20" (Holdsworth) for an additional $40. Carvin has a lot of "hidden" options that you can get if you ask (just be sure you really want it, the workmanship and materials warranty will still apply but the 10 day trial period is usually voided with these special order options).

P.S. The radius options are a standard option and don't void the trial period.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2005, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobophobic
They might do the Holdsworth neck profile as an option if you ask. They do special request profiles sometimes (but it voids the "send it back within 10 days if you don't like it" policy and is not subject to the "50% off options" deal). They also offer radius options. The stock radius is 12". You can get 14" or 20" (Holdsworth) for an additional $40. Carvin has a lot of "hidden" options that you can get if you ask (just be sure you really want it, the workmanship and materials warranty will still apply but the 10 day trial period is usually voided with these special order options).

P.S. The radius options are a standard option and don't void the trial period.
That's what so cool about Carvin.

Regards

André

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 07:17 AM

Is it really a Wilkinson bridge on those Carvin Kit´s with trem, or is it something else !? :S
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 10:03 AM

Reviews: 6

I had two... one had SERIOUS mojo and the other had SERIOUS playability. Should have kept the first one
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 12:38 PM

Gotta love how these old threads resurface out of no where sometimes.

Made me look at the Carvin kits again.. I'm actually tempted to get one now(once I start getting some money again that is)
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 03:29 PM

Reviews: 2

I am getting one eventually...after I picked up a bolt guitar in the carvin store I was very impressed. That's how my el cheap strat guitar resurrection project started. I got the birdseye maple fingerboard option for the 1/2 off special they were running on a neck and slapped it on my old strat (it was definately an enjoyable weekend and I could imagine putting together a whole kit would be even more fun). The feel and playability of carvin necks is awesome.

If they are still are running that special for options I would recommend to take advantage. Their pickups are pretty good to. I'd say go for it.

Edit: response to the above post, the wilkinson is an option.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-25-2006, 03:37 PM

wish they had 24 frets

Tags
block inlays , mahogany body , maple fingerboard , stainless steel frets , steel frets

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode