Carvin Kits - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Carvin Kits

I was thinking about getting one of these as it could be good fun. Does any one know if these guitar kits are any good? I know the pickups will most probably be crap so i'll up grade them. Also as it only comes with a normal trem will it be hard to convert to take a FR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2004, 09:51 PM

They are the best kit you'll get anywhere near the price. The same as their bolt guitar, just in pieces. I don't think their pups are crap, either. IMO the quality is very competitive, though you may not prefer the sound.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

So does it play well? Does it feel like a nice guitar (say RG of strat) or does it feel like a cheap guitar.
Don't know why this topic got posted twise, must have been coz I edited what I wrote. Mods please delete the other one please.
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-08-2004, 10:50 PM

Actually, I don't have the full kit. But I have lots of the parts I got seperately, and they all rock and are great for the money, even without the discount you get when buying a whole kit!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-09-2004, 07:04 PM

Yeah man pending on how good you are at set ups. If you know what you are doing they can play awesome! I'm not a big fan of 22 fret necks,, but man they give you quality for your money! HS3's are awesome in them things as well. The stock pickups are actually nice,,,depending on what sort of sound you are after. Buy the kit and you have a kick ass start on a custom one of a kind.

~A
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 12:01 AM

Carvin is top shelf stuff.

Warmoth has some good kits as well, but from what I've heard they have nothing on the Carvins. I have actually played a Carvin kit guitar, VERY nice.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies guys. I might have to get one of these kits then. I'm supprised how much you all praise the guitar as it's only a $350 kit, I suppose it just goes to show a guitar doesn't have to be expensive to be good.
Does any one know if it's hard to cut out the wood to the right dimentions to put a FLoyd rose in or is it a job for a professional?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 09:50 AM

personally I would leave it the way it is. It would make you play or force you to play differently which is great for expanding your playing abilities. However if you must,, I would certainly take it to Luthier.

~A
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Right ok then, your probably right because I wouldn't want to mess the locking nut at the top up. As for using it to make me play differantly, well I only have two guitars, a fender strat and an RG1570. The Rg is currently being sprused by mr. Herc Fede which means my main axe currently doesn't have a FR. What are those wilkinson trems like that can come with the kit?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 10:40 AM

Wilkinsons are nice,,,there not Lopro's,,, they are a different sort of trem,,nice but different. I'm spoiled by lo pro's. Wilkensons are are simple.

~A
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 10:51 AM

...and sometimes simple is definately NOT a bad thing. I've had great experiences with Lo-Pro's, but I have to admit, changing the strings on them (and stretching and getting the knife edges parallel, etc) can be kind of a chore... sometimes a chore I'd rather not deal with. But the guits I have with the Lo-Pro's sound so good, there's no way I'm getting rid of them (RGT3120, JEM77BFP). Comparatively, changing strings on the PGM10th is a breeze and I can pull alternate tunings whenever I want!

Actually, I'm getting a Carvin TL60 on Thursday that is a hardtail / string-through. Really really basic guitar w/ single-coils. I'm looking forward to having a good playing, in-tune-staying, low-maintenance beater guitar!

-Ben
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 11:13 AM

Ben,,, be sure to post some pictures of that thing! I've been entertaining the same guitar. String through hard tails are nice. It's fun to have them around,,, no hassle sort of thing. They serve as a fun break from the Trem systems!

Congrats dude!

~A
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

How do mean the wilkinsons are differant? can they do big dive bombs?
I would never have even looked at Carvin for guitars had I not seen a video with Jason Becker playing one which made me wanna check em out. I might have to get thier 1900w bass head at some point, that thing would destroy everyones spline in the building

http://www.carvin.com/products/singl...500&CID=BA
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Garrow
Ben,,, be sure to post some pictures of that thing!
I'll definately post a couple pics after I clean her up Thurs. night or Friday. It's not new, and it's definately not to MY specs... but if I were to have a custom Carvin TL60, it would go over $1000 easily. I just wanted a nice, bright single-coil guitar with 24 frets... low maintennance... and not so nice that I worry about banging it around a bit. Plus, since it was used, the price was right for this sort of 'risk purchase'... we'll see what she's like when she shows up!

-Ben
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-13-2004, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanitarium
How do mean the wilkinsons are differant? can they do big dive bombs?
Wilkinsons are more like traditional Strat-style trems. Yes, you can do big dive bombs, but don't expect big pull-ups or fluttering. In combination with the Sperzel's, they'll keep the guitar wonderfully in tune.

-Ben

Tags
alternate tuning , alternate tunings , fender strat , floyd rose , fret neck , fret necks , herc fede , jason becker , locking nut , wilkinson trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode