Carvin Neck Through Options - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 65
Carvin Neck Through Options

I am gassing for a Carvin neckthrough (DC400).

I am set for the quilted maple top, as it just looks stunning and I like the attack of maple tops. But I am torn on the choices of the neck (well most of body too) wood and the "wings" as this would be my first neckthru guitar.

So if some peeps with nechthru's (preferably Carvins) can post their expierience with the wood choices available for the DC400 it would be much appreciated.

The options for the DC400 are:
Body:
Alder, Mahagony, Walnut, Swamp Ash, Koa.
Neck (Neckthrough Neck):
Maple, Maple with 2 Koa stripes, Mahagony with 2 Maple Stripes, Koa with 2 Maple stripes, Maple with 2 Walnut stripes, Walnut with 2 Maple stripes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 07:48 AM

Re: Carvin Neck Through Options

I ordered my last one (a 727) with the two piece mahogany neck, tung oiled. It's an option, but not listed in the 5 piece listings. I also got the mahogany body with the quilt top. It was an amazing sounding guitar

Carvins tend to sound bright, so all that mahogany didn't hurt her sound even a little. I would avoid the maple neck and alder body though, because that combo does tend to be overly bright sounding.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post

Carvins tend to sound bright, so all that mahogany didn't hurt her sound even a little. I would avoid the maple neck and alder body though, because that combo does tend to be overly bright sounding.
That's really funny you say that. There's been many times where I've been *thiiiiiis* close to pulling the trigger on an ST300 with a maple neck, maple body and ebony fretboard.

The idea is to get something very similar to an ESP Kamikaze, but without the $3,000 price tag. You'd probably find the idea of maple/maple/ebony to be absolute brightness overkill. I don't mind brightness, I find it the easiest thing to contour with the EQ.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 09:01 AM

I've owned and ordered new a number of Carvins over the years, and to me the maple neck through guitars tend to brightness. It's cool if you like that, but it's there. An oiled mahogany neck is a great thing though

Last edited by jim777; 04-22-2010 at 03:21 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I've owned and oredered new a number of Carvins over the years, and to me the maple neck through guitars tend to brightness. It's cool if you like that, but it's there. An oiled mahogany neck is a great thing though
Can you give me an idea of what those neck finish options are? Carvin gives you a ton of them, but I'm not sure what "tung oil" and such mean. When I play with their custom builder, I just usually leave the neck with the default option. Ultimately, I like necks best when they are like those on Stratocasters and RGs to avoid "sticky neck".

I suppose I could email Carvin. I did that before to ask them what type of maple they use in their guitar bodies.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 03:21 PM

They are either oiled bare wood or polyurethaned. Their painted necks do tend to stick, but the oiled ones feel like bare wood. There is no comparison playability wise, the oiled is the better playing neck.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 03:23 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 65

What did you guys think of the Carvin pups? Any good or did you change them out?
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 08:31 AM

The 6 string pickups are fine, no need to swap them out. The 7 string pickups aren't as good, and usually do get swapped. But I like their 6 string pickups.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 09:38 AM

It took a while to realize that there's a separate section of their website that actually describes each of their pickups:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/guitarp...tarpickups.php

Just providing this in anyone had the same problems I did at first. I was just looking at the EQ chart on the custom guitar builder.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
I ordered my last one (a 727) with the two piece mahogany neck, tung oiled. It's an option, but not listed in the 5 piece listings. I also got the mahogany body with the quilt top. It was an amazing sounding guitar

Absolutely- on these neck throughs, even though some say wood doesn't matter- you want to use the Mahogany neck since it's the main part of the guitar on a neck through.

Koa also works very well for fatter, warmer sounds as the neck wood on these neck throughs.

A few other tips - the R-14 Radius is great if you're used to flatter than 12" Radius fingerboards- and you will fly on the Carvin .

Tags
carvin , neck through , woods

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode