Carvin Necks - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2006, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Carvin Necks

Hey,

I am curious to know how a Carvin DC127 neck feels. Do the Carvin DC127 necks feel similar to another brand's neck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 02:29 PM

Re: Carvin Necks

Carvin necks are pretty similar to a wizard, maybe even a little thinner. I've owned carvins and they have very very good necks, very flat and faster than a scalded dog, but as I've aged I prefer necks with more meat on the bone now, but they make a good neck, no doubt. If you're a fan of the shreddy Ibanez necks, then carvin will be your cup of tea.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 02:45 PM

I played a DC400 recently at a local GC. We don't get them much out here near Philly. I assume it's carved like the dc127. It was finished mahogany. I found it to be a little thicker and more 'c' shaped than a wizard. The fretboard was ebony and it was thick. It had jumbo frets and the radius was very flat. Perhaps the fretboard and jumbo frets made it feel thicker than a wizard.
Consider whether or not you want a maple or mahogany neck thru. Maple can be bright sounding.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 03:08 PM

Was that local GC in Cherry Hill or Philly? Sounds like a good reason for a trip this weekend ;-)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 03:39 PM

There is no "Carvin" profile; they have changed it many times over the years.

The current one is a nice "C" profile, a little thicker than an Ultra; about 19.5mm at the 1st fret (unfinished) and a 12" straight radius (though you can order one with 12", 14", or 20" radii).

My early 90's one was flatter (15" radius) and thin; very wizard-y.

My 2001(?) was a big shouldered "D" profile that I sanded the crap out of. NOW it's nice... 15" radius on that, too.

My 2003 is my favorite; the same "C" as the current one, but a 12-15" compound radius. Yummy. I go back & forth between that and my Yamaha Pacifica (Warmoth 12-16" compound radius, about 19mm thick) as "bestest neck of all time".
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 04:29 PM

I'm a little late on this...

But I just got a DC127 and the neck is a little fatter than my Jem is but with the shape is a little different and it feels almost the same to me. All the specs on my carvin look standard except the radius may be 14or 15".

And you can also get a 10" radius on DC127 currently. I'm not sure about a 20".

Tags
ibanez neck , ibanez necks , jumbo frets , neck thru , yamaha pacifica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode