Carvin V220 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 03:36 AM Thread Starter

Carvin V220

I just saw some pictures and information on the Carvin V220. This is one of the most kickass guitars ever built. I had also seen it in a Marty Friedman/Jason Becker Cacophony video. Does anyone know where I could get a used V220. I want one really badly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2004, 12:05 PM

Besides a continuous e-bay search, I don't know where you'd find one easily. Does the Carvin website have a forum? There were two V220's, one with rounded edges and one with sharp edges and angled bevels. I think if I ever got one I'd want the rounded one (old school I'd probably want a white one with a Kahler. That's about as true to the guitar as you can get! The pointy ones were cool too, but then I think you'd need a black one or some dark metallic like blue or pearl black. I'm almost positive that those were during the era when they still made Carvins with maple wings. So they might be pretty heavy. It was before the graphite or steel rods in the neck, too. I think that's a plus because I don't like how a neck sounds with rods.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 02:34 PM

This is a prototype of one Angelo Guitars might be offering in the Fall.

Do you feel it would be better with a 5-way switch, and Push/Pull Tone knob?

Sorry for the large pic. I'll delete my post if it's a hassle. Just let me know.

[/i]
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 04:19 PM

I think that would be better because it means more versatility. But why did you post this here ?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2004, 05:26 PM

TomB,

Thanks for the reply. I feel the same about the 5-way and coil-tap also.

Why did I post it here? Only because it was a topic on the V220.

Actually, I was kind of apprehensive. As I mentioned to Glen (jemsite), I didn't want to come in and step on any toes. So, if my post causes any conflict or ill feelings let me know. I will delete it.

Rommel
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 07:02 PM

I'm sorry, are the V220 and the Angelo guitar simular body formes or so?
I really have no idea what a V220 looks like. I just thaught it would be something to post under a new topic, that way you'd get more replies. But anyway, nice guitar and nice to have you on the forum. I doubt you're hurting anybody's feelings with that post though

ps: i bet that guitar would look great with a graphic, what's it's model name ?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 11:04 PM

Tentatively it's being dubbed the "Infinity-1". It's a guitar that was made for Tom Hess, of the band HESS. This is one of two prototypes. Tom's main one has Duncan Metal Live Wires. The one in the pic above has Angelo Custom pickups.

There's still some tweaking that Tom wanted to have done. So, it's back to the drawing board.

Yes, this body shape is similar to the Carvin V220. Actually, it's closer to the Carvin X220.

The suggestion of a "graphic" is a cool idea, but I think they're going to keep them with solid colors. We'll see.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 05:59 PM

The Carvin V220...

I've had 3 of them. I just picked this one up from Ebay a couple of months ago. The V220 is one of my favorite guitars. Today, about the only place they seem to be available is Ebay.

Mesadude
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I found a few on Ebay and might consider buying one. I have never played a Carvin, but I do own a Jem 7vwh which I love more than life itself and I wanted to know how you compare a V220 to a Jem in all aspects.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitario
I do own a Jem 7vwh which I love more than life itself and I wanted to know how you compare a V220 to a Jem in all aspects.
By the specs alone, they are quite possibly about as different as two guitars could possibly be. Perhaps the only things they have in common are that they're solid-body guitars with maple necks and six strings.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-22-2004, 01:24 AM

JEM and V220 differences...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitario
Yeah, I found a few on Ebay and might consider buying one. I have never played a Carvin, but I do own a Jem 7vwh which I love more than life itself and I wanted to know how you compare a V220 to a Jem in all aspects.
Well, I also have a JEM 77FP. It's really a completely different guitar than the V220. The V220 is a much heavier instrument, being made entirely of solid eastern hard-rock maple. Its neck is thinner (across) and it's a 24 3/4 inch scale instrument. The two guitars just feel quite a bit different. I actually use the V220 more than I do the JEM (my hands fit it better). The V220 rocks just as well as the JEM does. Carvin's M22SD and M22N pickups are great pickups. They have 24 pole pieces instead of the usual 12. This is great for string bending as the string's more likely to be over one most of the time. I like BOTH of these guitars for their own properties and personalities.

Here's a pic of my JEM77FP. It's a 2004 and the rear plate is signed by Steve Vai:

and another pic of my latest 1984 V220:

Mesadude
www.tungngruve.net

Tags
body shape , jason becker , maple neck , maple necks , marty friedman , pull tone , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode