Causes of fret buzz - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Causes of fret buzz

One day my high e on my RG550 started buzzing up to the 15th fret. So I was wondering if you guys can give me a list of possible problems and fixes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 05:49 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Causes of fret buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjinator17 View Post
One day my high e on my RG550 started buzzing up to the 15th fret. So I was wondering if you guys can give me a list of possible problems and fixes.
Go to the tech section and look around. You can also use the Jemsite search feature--you're going to find tons on solutions, as this gets asked quite a bit...

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 06:50 PM

Reviews: 11

- unlevel fret. Fix = fret leveling and crowning/polishing.
- damaged fret fix = replacement
- warped neck fix = refret neck
- wrong neck relief fix = adjust action, change bridge height

thats about it. being on one fret, its most likely out of alignment or warped slightly.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 07:33 PM

My first suspect would be neck relief, as too much relief causes problems from 15-17 like that.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 08:53 PM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by musikron View Post
My first suspect would be neck relief, as too much relief causes problems from 15-17 like that.

wouldnt it be on more then one fret? Just wondering.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2011, 11:28 PM

If the E string buzzes until the 15th fret and then is fine, it sounds like the E string side of the 15th fret has raised a l'il bit. If you have a RELIABLE metal straight edge (6 inches will do), not a 99 cent kids' plastic ruler, you can tell if it's the 15th fret by placing it on the frets a few at a time (nut to bridge) and seeing if it rocks. If it rocks with the fulcrum on 15, then Bingo buddy, you've found the problem. If that's the problem, I would loosen the strings, tape the fret, pull the strings clear of that side of the fret and tap it once with a ruber mallet and see if that fixes it. DO NOT pound your frets with a hammer no matter. HTH
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxpenguin View Post
wouldnt it be on more then one fret? Just wondering.

Not always, if you have too much relief in the neck you generally get a buzz around 15-17. With proper fall away it can only present itself on one fret if the bow is not too severe.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode