Changing maple fretboard to ebony???? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Changing maple fretboard to ebony????

I want to customize a RG 550. I like the front routed guitarbodies. Trouble is this guitar has a maple fretboard. Could this be changed to a ebony or rosewood one.

My question is therefor, is the RG 550 maple neck constructed in same way,
as an rg 570 rosewood one. Meaning is trussrod cavity routed under fretboard and not from backside of the RG 550 neck.

I saw RG 550 online I would like to customize, but can't fingure out how maple fretboard is connected.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 10:17 AM

Email Jeremy, at LGM Guitars. He does this kind of work.

http://www.lgmguitars.com/
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 03:00 PM
dex

Better yet, ebay the neck and just scout ebay to find one with rosewood fretboard.
Having it changed is going to cost at least e200 and you'll probably not lose a cent if you go through ebay.

If you're planing on doing it yourself - it can be done and the maple fingerboard can be detached and replaced.
For more info go to projectguitar.com.

ilia
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2004, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

Eh....was actually thinking of doing it myself. Have nice RG2550GK that is my main ax, but was thinking buying an older RG550 and doing some mods on it. I just don't like the maple fretboard. I just couldn't determine if maple fretboard was attached just like rosewood one.

Just wanna give this a try. What's the fun of paying someone else to do it., anyway?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 03:33 PM

Check out projectguitar.com for tutorials on swapping fretboards. It's not an easy task, but it's definitely do-able if you're careful and patient.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-16-2004, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Seen those pages on projectguitar.com

Here is link: http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/removal.htm

Lot's of heat and lot's of patience do the trick, I guess.

Tags
lgm guitars , maple fingerboard , maple fret , maple fretboard , maple neck , rosewood fretboard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode