Changing Pickups on a Ibanez RG7420. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 07:41 AM Thread Starter

Changing Pickups on a Ibanez RG7420.

I just bought my second 7 string guitar, an RG7420 and noticed that the Pickups sucks. I have read some other posts in this forum about people who changed the pups to DiMarzio Blaze II. Then i wonder, is it hard to do that by yourself. Or do you recomend to let a professional to do it ?
Is there any website describing how to change pups ?
Where can i buy DiMarzio Blaze II pups ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 09:06 AM

Blaze II's are really sweet pickups. Dimarzio makes lots of great 7-string pickups... they also make the Air Norton & PAF for neck position and Tone Zone & Evolution for bridge position (generally). I've used Blaze II's, Blaze Customs, Tone Zone, and PAF in seven strings and had really good results with all of them. Just depends on what type of music you're into and what sound you're going for.

I'm pretty bad at rewiring, and I haven't had any problems rewiring my seven strings. All you really need is a screwdriver and a soldering iron. If you need them, you can find wiring diagrams on Dimarzio's website (http://www.dimarzio.com) or Ibanez's website (http://www.ibanez.com).

--B
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, what Dimarzio do you think i should choose?
I want real fat deathmetal sound.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 11:28 AM
EKG

Blaze's are fine, but I have recently rerouted a body to fit EMG7's. It's a monster! The EVO7 may be too bright. The PAF7 might do well. Dimarzio should make a FRED 7, huh? But for the heaviest sound, I would think the EMG's would do it.

After reading this over, did I really say anything?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2002, 01:53 PM

I haven't personally tried a dimarzio enough to say too much about it...but i did hear a clip i believe shoving the difference between blaze II's and emg 707's, the 707's were alot better in my oppinion...i personally use emg's they r awesome for some good distortion, i also use seymour duncan JB that's awesome too, but i still love my EMG...

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 10:22 PM

EMG707s are the best, imho. I have the EMGs in both my RG7620s. In fact I just sent Eddie Kolesar www.ekgco.com some $ to build me a Black pearloid pickguard for my Grey Nickle 7620. Kind of making a Dino Cazeras looking thing with one EMG. Should be sweet.
I put the Evolution 7s in my RG7621 and they are ok.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2002, 11:01 PM

For the death metal sound, I'd recommend the Blaze custom in the bridge. I have one in the bridge position on my 7620, and it sounds awesome.

For the neck position, hard to say. All the 7 string neck pickups I've played (Blaze II, PAF, Air Norton) seem a little laid back. The Blaze II neck does balance nicely with the Blaze Custom, so that's probably my first pick.

--B
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great response.

I have tried to find a place where to buy Blaze II Pups but i only find Blaze DP702 & DP700 for the neck. Whats up with that ? Is blaze 2 for Universe guitars only ? Whats the diferents between Blaze DP702 and Blaze II
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2002, 11:14 AM
EKG

I just spoke to Dimarzio and ordered some Blaze(s) for myself. A Blaze is a Blaze is a Blaze.

Tags
air norton , bridge position , death metal , dimarzio blaze , neck pickup , neck pickups , neck position , pearloid pickguard , seymour duncan , string pickup , string pickups , tone zone , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode