changing strings! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

changing strings!

hi all, i have a set of erie ball strings, the "super slinky" which have 009-011-016-024-032-042 (iīve read in the manual this is the standard measures for edge pro ibanez guitarsīstrings).

ok, strings arenīt broken and have a good sound, but for 2 months i believe itīs maybe too time (playing at least 2 hours straight at studio, per week, and some hours distributed for the week) so, is it time to change?

by the way, how do you make the first turns of the string? by hand? like, roll 3 turns and then start to wrap by the tuners of guitar? and do you change 1 by one? i donīt want to mess with tremolo bridge...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 10:07 AM

Re: changing strings!

Yes - most Edge's dialed in for 009's. I never go more than 3 weeks - 4 max (and that's pushin it) on a set of strings. But I generally put in a lot more than two or so hours a week. Many diffrent techniques for changing strings. Play around and find the one that best suits you. I NEVER take off more than two strings at once on a full floating trem. You can maybe do three, but the springs will pull the trem down into the cavity and can mess up your intonation. I usually change them two at a time.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 11:00 AM

I change mine one at a time. Works good for me.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 02:23 PM

Talking Re: changing strings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flobanez
I change mine one at a time. Works good for me.
I change mine ALL at a time. Works good for ME
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 04:58 PM

I change them all at the same time as well
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Gex

The one at a time method works good.

And,
You can also put bottle caps ( PLASTIC Soda bottle caps, not metal beer/root beer bottle caps) under the tremolo in the recess cavity, which will prop up the tremolo higher than normal "neutral" position. Then take off all the strings, and load up all the new strings at once.

I like that method alot too, I use it frequently.

The LAST thing you want to do is to take off all the springs and leave the tremolo unsupported, so it lays back against the body. Takes forever and a day to get that thing back to a stable tune.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

ok, iīve done it... changed 1 at time, and it was very easy, because of the same tension of the strings, it was simple. It was my first time changing strings in a kind of bridge like this, so i am not shure about the pressure on the locking system, but i believe iīve made the correct pressure (very tight, but not like PUSHING VEEERY HARD).

right now itīs completly done, iīve tightened also the locking nut (i think itīs not necessary to be out at the beginning right?) and tried to play a little, i can see that playing with themolo arm, it changes veeeeery little the tune of one or other strings, but i believe itīs normal and u canīt actually hear it...

i also have cutted the strings at the top (i donīt like the strings rolled itself), and noticed that intonation is PERFECT, only the E string (the 042 one) is a liiiitle down in intonation, but itīs like that, itīs so little u canīt hear it...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie88
I change mine ALL at a time. Works good for ME
You DO use a trem block of some sort......right????
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 06:28 PM

I actually change all mine and most Floyd's without a trem block of any sort. What I do is actually just put all the strings on, push down on the trem bar till the floyd is generally where it sits when properly in tune and then tune the guitar while my right hand holds down the trem. Takes a while to get used to, but it's a lot easier for me to find a whammy bar than it is for me to find a wedge for the trem.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 06:29 PM

i do all at once and stuff a duster in the trem to hold it at the rightish height, works well and dont take to long once you are used to it
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEMMER777
You DO use a trem block of some sort......right????
Of course! I just put a little protecting thing (looks like a little piece just like the inside of my case) in the cavity. Doesn't really matter what I use. I just block it, remove the strings, do whatever I want to do with the neck (oil etc.), then put on one string after another. Then I tune a while, and it's perfect
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie88
Of course! I just put a little protecting thing (looks like a little piece just like the inside of my case) in the cavity. Doesn't really matter what I use. I just block it, remove the strings, do whatever I want to do with the neck (oil etc.), then put on one string after another. Then I tune a while, and it's perfect
buddroyce has found a way to do it w/o a block. Seems like a real pain, lol. IF I'm doing a serious cleaning / polish - then I use a block and remove all the strings. But if I'm just changing strings to heck with it. I'll just do it two at a time

Tags
ibanez guitars , locking nut , trem block , tremolo bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode