changing strings on the new RG550 DY - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

Question changing strings on the new RG550 DY

ok well this being my first guitar w/ a floyd i didn't no what to expect but i went ahead and gave it a shot... love the floyd but yesterday i ran into a problem.

how the hell do you change the strings on the original floyd???

so finnaly figured out to back off the blocks and take the strings out, but now their was a new problem. the strings i love (DR super lite's) had balls on the end and wouldnt fit into the bridge.

so i cut the balls and inserted em how the stock ones were, except i couldnt do the kool little bend at the end and put it under.but w/e besides the point it was a differnt exp but now i think my action is screwed up b/c my trem bar feels like it dosent go back as far.

sugg.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 04:10 PM

Reviews: 10
Re: changing strings on the new RG550 DY

Did you take all the old strings off at once? that would mess up the bridge's original setting, youd have to prop up the bridge a bit when putting new strings in to get it floating back to where it was originally.

If you replaced 1 string at a time it would of kept its same position.

But thats no good to you now, I'd say take all the strings off again, prop up the bridge a little by stuffing something behind the bridge (tissue) then string it all back up. May take a fwe attempts. Once happy from then on replace 1 string at a time, or if you have something solid to prop up the bridge and that got it exactly where you want the bridge after stringing up, then use that for next time (if taking all strings off at once).

Hope that helps
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2007, 04:38 PM

1. you can remove all strings at once wihout a problem.

2. Did you replace the strings with exactly the same type/gauge/brand as were on there before ?
you may need to do a little bit of string/spring balancing - also try to explain whats going on with your trem a little clearer.

P.S. most folk run the ball end through the machine head and cut the other end... looks cool on daddario's

if in doubt just see the tech section of the ibanezrules site -banner above.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisshredding View Post
P.S. most folk run the ball end through the machine head and cut the other end... looks cool on daddario's
See, I restrung my 550 yesterday, and I thought the same thing, except I didn't think they would fit (and didn't bother to try) so I just id my same restring routine. Do the ball ends fit right through the machine head? Aren't the ball ends too big?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 07:48 PM

haha i restrung my 550 yesterday with dean blue steals. ran the ball end through the machine heads(looks cool since the ball ends are black and match the color scheme)
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Dee

Some basic info:

Ibanez RG's come with 9-42 D'Addario strings. If you replace the strings with a lighter or heavier set, the bridge becomes unbalanced rather than returning to it's neutral pitch. The reason why is because of the change in string tension which is countered by the tremolo springs.

If the bridge moves forwards (because you fitted heavier strings), you need to unscrew the plate on the back of the guitar and adjust the spring claw screws. Tighten them just a little bit, retune the guitar and make any further adjustments as necessary. The screws should be parallel, btw. I've seen lots of pics of trem cavities where people had the claw angled. This sucks!

If the bridge is angled back (because you fitted lighter gauge strings), then the spring claw screws should be adjusted. Unscrew them (anti-clockwise) a small amount, retune the guitar, and repeat until the bridge is balanced.

It's fine to remove all the strings at once, contrary to what many people say. Removing the whole set is the only way to get to the fretboard when it needs cleaning or if the frets need polishing (with steel wool). I clean the board all the time, partly because I'm scared of the maple on the RG20th becoming dirty and worn, and partly because a clean guitar feels so much better to play. Rosewood and ebony boards also need a good dose of Fret Doctor occasionally, too.

Rich Harris has some good information on his website. Newcomers to Ibanez and / or guitar maintenance in general should read it. I know a fair amount about setting up and taking care of guitars, but I definitely learned some stuff from Rich. See here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWiredBeck24 View Post
See, I restrung my 550 yesterday, and I thought the same thing, except I didn't think they would fit (and didn't bother to try) so I just id my same restring routine. Do the ball ends fit right through the machine head? Aren't the ball ends too big?
They don't go through the machine head completely, the ball-end snugs right up to the tuner peg.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 02:08 AM

I have another problem, I restrung few days ago my RFR with the same factory string brand and gauge, (9-42 D'Addario's), I changed 1 string at a time, I didn't touch anything more, lock the locking nut tight enough, stretched all the strings few minutes everyday, but when I pull back the tremolo all the strings go sharp very slightly and after a dive bomb all the strings return to pitch, I didn't touch the locking studs and my edge is not angled.

I dont know what is wrong, the problem with the pitch is little but is enough to bother me, what you think?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 02:12 AM
Dee

Trem knife edges might be the problem. Possibly they need sharpening. You can't do much else except grease the points where they contact the posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Trem knife edges might be the problem. Possibly they need sharpening. You can't do much else except grease the points where they contact the posts.
I've noticed that sometimes the stretching of new strings compared to the rigidity of old ones means that you can't always rely on a setup to be exactly the same when you change strings, even with the same gauge, and sometimes the trem angle needs to be tweaked.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
I dont think so, the RFR is brand new, I played only few times and never abused the tremolo, so, maybe is something else. The guitar have the same factory setup, in fact, this is the first strings change that I made on this guitar.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-11-2007, 11:20 AM
Dee

Makes no difference if it's brand new.

Tags
addario strings , claw screws , ebony board , ebony boards , gauge strings , locking nut , locking stud , locking studs , steel wool , string tension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode