Charvel 750xl - New Pickup Config - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Arrow Charvel 750xl - New Pickup Config

Hey guys, I'm brand new to the forum, and I also just scored a used 1989 Trans Amber 750xl. I absolutely adore the guitar, but wanted to swap out the pickups for something more aggressive than the standard "Jackson" pickups in the model. I was thinking maybe EMG, but I was curious to hear from the experts here what you would recommend for such a guitar.

Ps some of my favorite bands are (old) Skid Row, Ratt, Ozzy, VH, and Whitesnake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 12:59 PM

Re: Charvel 750xl - New Pickup Config

3 things:

1) Congrats! That's a sweet guitar.
2) No. Don't put EMGs in it, because it's an extremely rare guitar, and you'd have to rout wood out to do it. Plus, an EMG in a Squier Strat sounds exactly like an EMG would in a 59 Les Paul - exactly like everyone else that uses EMGs. The tonal differences of the wood/shape/workmanship are completely negated, IMO. Dimarzios or Duncans (or Bareknuckles, Lollars, Joe Bardens, et al) would be something you could use to make YOUR tone, and still get the tone out of that sweet mahogany/maple combo.
3) Just give the guitar to me.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 01:39 PM

It looks like they come with pickup rings, I have a 650xl and I dont see where you would have to rout for emgs...am I missing something?

As far as p/u choice, I think emgs are great as well as some of the passives, but I don't have that particular guitar so Im afraid I cant be of much help.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Alright I'm thinking the Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat Combo or a the old JB and 59 combo... Not sure yet I'm giving it loads of thought.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 11:33 PM

Go for a Suhr Doug Aldrich pickup. It will handle all of the sounds you want, and does even heavier stuff well also.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 12:44 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f35/an...ad-110579.html

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 05:33 AM

Reviews: 120

You don't need to route for six string EMGs. I wish people would stop spouting that myth. The battery will fit in the electronics cavity. If you like the idea of EMGs go for it. Don't be turned off by those who aren't into them. If you set them up right you will be able to hear the guitars "tone" through the EMGs.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 06:38 AM

Reviews: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinmj41 View Post
Alright I'm thinking the Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat Combo or a the old JB and 59 combo... Not sure yet I'm giving it loads of thought.
Bare Knuckles are awesome.

I had a Miracle man in my 550xl and it was OK. I had a Trilogy Suite in the neck and that was actually not as good as I would have thought, but it was a bit better than the mini JB it replaced. All those were definitely better than the Jackson units.

Judging from your influences I'd probably look at the Holy Diver set, Rebel Yell set or the VHII.

Rebel Yells are great in Les Pauls, which I think the 750xl is most similar to in terms of construction.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2012, 09:00 AM

I have a RG421 with the same EMG's in it that the Epi LP I sold a little while ago had, totally different sounds. The Epi had a much fuller thicker sound as you would expect from a big chunk of mahogany. The RG sounds good, but it's a bit thinner brighter sounding guitar.

EMG's are not a cookie cutter sound, the guitar they are installed in does make a difference.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaylightDies View Post
Go for a Suhr Doug Aldrich pickup. It will handle all of the sounds you want, and does even heavier stuff well also.
How does the Aldrich stack up against the jb? I've heard rave reviews about the Aldrich.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinmj41 View Post
How does the Aldrich stack up against the jb? I've heard rave reviews about the Aldrich.
The Aldrich has a more PAF tone, and stronger mids. Great output, terrific sounding pickup. I have one in my LP Std, and plan on putting them in my other ones as the money come available. I should also note that the JB is (was) my favorite pickup, so that should tell you something. The '59 is probably the best neck humbucking pickup I can think of.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 10:41 PM

Welcome robinmj41
I'd say aim for some Dimarzios.but keep the originals as well.
I like the Steve special / air Norton combo and I play that same kind of music
...and if you ever want to sell or trade that guitar let me know.I've been searching for that guitar for quite some time ;-)
Rock on!!!

Tags
750xl , charvel , emg 81 , seymour duncan 80's

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode