Charvel EVH guitars - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Charvel EVH guitars

Now i know this has probably been said before but are these guitars really worth what they're charging for them?!

As far as i can tell, the only thing different to it apart from being a strat with a humbucker and locking trem, is the connection to EVH and the colour sceme.

Really, am i missing out on anything here? Does the guitar claim magical powers or something? Is there a special feature to the guitar, because for $2500, i think that it's a rip off! Fair doos to anyone who owns the guitar, i would really love to get one... but not for that price. Is it really worth it?

Anyway, that's just my little rant. I know this has been discussed alot, but i was looking through Chavel/Fender's site just now and after seeing the EVH series i thought "well, i'll check out the price on it... hmmm *browses net*, *chin hits ground* ... what, the, hell?!"

Anyway yeah , what are your views guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 10:09 PM

Re: Charvel EVH guitars

I played one, recently, to solve my own curiosity (and to try out the D-Tuna. hehe.), and, honestly, most of it MUST be hype, cause I wasn't all THAT impressed. I have a Squier Standard Strat that playes as nice, IMHO.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 03:20 AM

I've only played one of the Charvel EVH, and it was very impressive. Great tone and feel. There were ten+ other Charvel guitars in the store and the EVH was the best one, for me. It could be totally random, I don't know. Still, I love the design, and it being a EVH is enough for me.
post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 03:27 AM

"Is there a special feature to the guitar,"

Yep, it automatically generates an $1800 royalty to EHV per sale.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 05:23 AM

Reviews: 34

I played one a bit at my fave guitar shop.

It is identical in feel to my custom alder strat.

I prefer the tone of mine, and the whole build cost about £900. The neck (a usa fender) is absolutely identical. I have seen them for £2000 or just under.

So to sum up, I don't think they are worth it at all. Nice guitars, but not that nice.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 05:50 AM

They're a guitar for collectors, not players.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy G
"Is there a special feature to the guitar,"

Yep, it automatically generates an $1800 royalty to EHV per sale.
$1800 .

Regards

André

post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 06:14 AM

I think you could probably build one out of parts that was as nice and would still sound and play as well as the charvel.

Ben
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 06:40 AM

Reviews: 1

You can put together the exact same guitar with the exact same parts with the pinstriping of your choice for $1000 if not less.

I love EVH. I grew up on his music. I listened to the first VH album 37 times in a row but I just don't see that guitar being worth $2600.
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 07:45 AM

serious if charvel these days are.........

i played on a evh charvel at a music store.....it just feels like a china made squier to me...no offence..but its jsut not my type..
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 08:50 AM

Anyone noticed that if the D-tuna is engaged, the spring clip end rests against the guitar's laquer and cracks it eventually? Good solid design that
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 11:41 AM

I've played a few, and they are great guitars, no doubt. They're definitely overpriced as well. If I wanted something like this I'd get another Charvel, or try to find one used.
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggy
I think you could probably build one out of parts that was as nice and would still sound and play as well as the charvel.

Ben
Bingo. I don't doubt that the guitar I am currently building will play as good, if not BETTER, than the EVH I played that day. Someone else said it, well: It played like an import Squier. My Squier cost me $190, and I dropped a Duncan JB jr. into it, for $70 more. A FAR cry from the chunk of change you'd be blowing on the EVH, and it played actually a little better, too.
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 12:09 PM

In all fairness if you went to a Charvel Forum and asked whether a BRMR Jem is worth the price what do you think would be said about it.

I do love my 7VWH but unless you are partial to Jems the average person would say the same about Vai's involvement with Ibanez and the prices of Jems.

Just my opinion...
post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 04-25-2006, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali___
Anyone noticed that if the D-tuna is engaged, the spring clip end rests against the guitar's laquer and cracks it eventually? Good solid design that
Is the trem that close to the body?

Regards

André

Tags
alder strat , baritone guitar , charvel evh , coil tap , custom shop , custom shop guitar , david mccarroll , eddie van halen , electric guitar , evh charvel , evh charvels , fender strat , fender stratocaster , floyd rose , fret size , guitar shop , jimi hendrix , jimmy page , joe perry , john sykes , les paul , les paul custom , music store , neck shape , phil collen , signature guitar , string tension , van halen , volume knobs , warmoth neck , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode