Charvel Green Meanie.... sort of..... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
dex

Charvel Green Meanie.... sort of.....

So I was trawling through the Charvel site thinking it's about time I treated myself to something I thought I'd never be able to get as Fender slapped Charvel with a cease and desist order back in the 80s and Charvel stopped using the Fender headstock...

Anyway, I'm looking through the website and noticed there is a So-Cal guitar that bears an uncanny resemblance to Steve's green meanie.
Colour is slime green, it looks darker than the green meanie and has black scratch plate minus a single coil in the middle and no tone knob with 3 position switch in it's place plus the green meanie had a white scratch plate for a looong long time but still, a regular production guitar plus the cost of some coloured bobbin toppers and you have a decent green meanie replica.

Anyone else noticed that?
I tried the search function but did not find anything about this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
dex

Re: Charvel Green Meanie.... sort of.....

..... and after I wrote that I noticed the flyer clearly says custom colours and went back to the shop I found this at only to notice it clearly says "out of stock" at the bottom.

Looks like I have to start paying more attention.

http://www.richtonemusic.co.uk/produ...lime_green.asp

Last edited by dex; 04-13-2011 at 04:45 PM. Reason: spelling
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 05:29 PM

it's a beauty!
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2011, 05:43 PM

from my understanding the so-cals are routed for a single in the middle, just covered up.
I always wanted a san dimas style 2 in the bright orange color they made, but they don't make them any more.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 08:56 AM

Ouuu that`s a real beauty!! I also own a Charvel San Dimas polar white - tele style... & its a hell of a guitar!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
. . .
Looks like I have to start paying more attention.
Don't sweat it. You did know that these were made in batches of colors? I thought this was a cool thing to do, the risk being that by the time a potential buyer was inspired by a certain color, it might be unavailable.

Are these not made anymore? I really liked these Charvels. If I were just a little bit richer I'd own one.

Peace

Mike

Last edited by Hikey Mikey; 05-13-2011 at 07:40 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 01:04 PM

They replaced the USA Production series with the Japanese-made ProMod series. Same guitar in pretty much every way(though the fretwork and 'rolling' of the fretboard are actually better!).

There are set colors for the most part now. Black, White, Red, and now Blue. 3 Wildcards so far; blue or sunburst quilt with rosewood 'board and recessed bridge, and a tangerine with a stoptail and ebony.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2011, 11:54 PM

Love Charvels...haven't played one of the newer ones, but I used to have a Model 4 (Japanese made) and it screamed. They have always had cool color choices too, mine was like a Ferrari Red...I would love one of their newer Orange ones...no p/g though :P
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2011, 01:11 PM

Reviews: 1

I love my USA Charvels. I have a white SO CAL and the Wildcard #3 in black pictured above.

I have tried the new MIJ and they are just as good but something about the USA models just appeals more to me.

Tags
charvel , green meanie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode