Charvel Model 4(Kahler) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Charvel Model 4(Kahler)

Hi!
I have a charvel model 4 with the kahler and dot inlays, i have all the parts for it now, and i got the thing re-wired and i love the way the neck feels but i still have a few problems i would like some help with.
1)
Whenever its plugged in, it has this really loud, annoying hum (With my distortion on) and i would like to know what exactly that issue is please. I was told its just from having the mid-boost all the way up.
2)
My pickups sound dull, i was told that most of the model series were active, but mine has no spot for a 9V Battery anywhere, unless im just too stupid to see it. If you could answer that for me, that would be great. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 09:35 PM

Re: Charvel Model 4(Kahler)

I would check for loose wiring for the loud hum - just make sure everything is solidly connected. None of the Model series guitars had active pickups stock,and I'm fairly certain (90% or so) that none has the JE-1200 preamp/boost either.
If you have a maple board and black dot inlays, it's a Modsel 4M.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

aIts a
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
I would check for loose wiring for the loud hum - just make sure everything is solidly connected. None of the Model series guitars had active pickups stock,and I'm fairly certain (90% or so) that none has the JE-1200 preamp/boost either.
Its a Rosewood board with Pearl dot inlays.
All the wiring in the back just looks confusing ha, im not very good with this stuff.
There are a few things that look like they werent all the way sautered...not sure what to do.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 10:02 PM

Reviews: 15

First thing to try is plug in a different guitar to determine if it's the guitar, cable, or amp making the noise. If the other guitar also makes noise, it's not the guitar, so change to a new cable, and so on.

One other thought; If memory serves, the charvel model 4's had shark tooth inlays, not dots. Are you sure it's not another model?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 11:18 PM

Reviews: 1

Model 4s with Kahler had dot inlays. They didn't start having sharktooth inlays until they start putting Jackson JT-6 (Floyd type) trems on them.

Regarding the active electronics, Model 4s came stock with the JE-1200 mid boost preamp, J50BC (moderate output, ceramic magnet) and J200 stacked single coils that were designed to be used with an active circuit.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 12:44 AM

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Sounds like a loose ground wire.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

Well, I was just given the information that they are active pickups, i just need to put on the cap thing that attatches to the top of a 9V. I have one of those, i just do not know where to sauter it at, there are only 2 lose wires, but they are taped together at the top, im guessing those two are for the battery?
Its two thinner black wires, and one green one thats thin. Im guessing the two thin black are the single coil and then the green is the bucker?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
I have a stock Model 4M that most definitely came with active pickups. Bought it new in '89. All model 4's and 6's had active pickups and the mid-boost as well. That was their deal. Read the link you posted for the model 4 pickup description.

Control Functions:
One Volume, One Tone, Jackson Pre-Amp with Mid Boost, Three 2-way mMini-Toggles
Pickup Specifications:
Model Number: J200 (two)
Description: Dual Coil, Bi-level
Humbucking designed for use with
active circuitry.

"clearer" distortion.
Sr.(in K Hz): 9.90
Z (@Sr in MOhms): 1.8
Inductance (in Henries):2.4
Q (@Sr): 12.6
Output Level (@ Sr): +44.1dB
Magnetic Structure: Alnico V
Resistance (in KOhms): 11.65

Pickup Specifications:
Model Number: J50BC (one)
Description: High Frequency Bridge
Position Humbucking. Designed for use
with active circuitry.

Sr.(in K Hz): 6.58
Z (@Sr in MOhms): 5.9
Inductance (in Henries):5.3
Q (@Sr): 2.64
Output Level (@ Sr): +56.4dB
Magnetic Structure: Ceramic
Resistance (in KOhms): 8.58

Last edited by Earnote; 06-25-2010 at 11:37 PM.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 12:26 AM

This is really pretty simple: "Designed for use with active circuitry" does not mean they are active - it just means they are slightly lower output and so therefore (according to Jackson) designed for use with an active, onboard preamp. A lot like like damned near every Bartolini pickup as well. And, surprise, these guitars did come with the JE1200 preamp on board. Personally I don't think they need the preamp and stripped the JE1200 out of all of my Model 6's, but that's just my opinion.

Model 4's and Model 6's DID NOT come stock with active pickups. The only way active pickups can get in them is if you or another previous owner put them in there.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 12:49 AM

OK. Personally, I like my preamp.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Then what are the 3 unesed wires, 1 from each pickup.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 06:18 PM

Hopefully this helps : it's a high res pic of the wiring compartment of a bone stock Model 4. The battery is for the preamp.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/moby.graphics/PC081966.JPG
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2010, 09:35 PM

Reviews: 15

Quote:
Model 4's and Model 6's DID NOT come stock with active pickups. The only way active pickups can get in them is if you or another previous owner put them in there.
Wrong. They did come with them stock. I bought my Modal 4 with a Floyd, shark tooth inlays, and Jackson EMGs.

Tags
nowcouldyou , pleasehelpme

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode