Charvel model or Jackson? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 24
Charvel model or Jackson?

Im debating whether I should get a charvel model 6(first import version of the Jackson Soloist, but under the Charvel brand) OR a Jackson SLSMG Super Lightweight Soloist Electric Guitar.
Is the extra couple of hundred dollars really worth investing into getting the SLSMG?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 09:14 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Charvel model or Jackson?

Well, I know the Model 6 is used but what about the SLSMG?

Which bridge does the Model 6 have?

Be aware that the single coils on the Model 6 don't have the lip that standard single coils do so if you ever want to put in different single coils, you'll need to order ones without the lip or get the guitar routed (which would adversely affect the resale value).
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post
Well, I know the Model 6 is used but what about the SLSMG?

Which bridge does the Model 6 have?

Be aware that the single coils on the Model 6 don't have the lip that standard single coils do so if you ever want to put in different single coils, you'll need to order ones without the lip or get the guitar routed (which would adversely affect the resale value).
The slsmg is new, the model 6 was made in 88.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 10:34 PM

Reviews: 1

The Model 6 is a classic but the bridge that came on it (the JT-6) is long in the tooth and parts aren't the easy thing to find for it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 03:46 AM

Reviews: 11

Yeah, that model 6 has active electronics and those single coils are not really single coils.. They are stacked humbuckers. JT-6 bridge parts can be found at fretsonthenet.com and evilbay. I would go for the model 6, since it was the top notch model of import charvels at the day and they just rip. Actually, I just bought one on local auction site and tomorrow I will have it in my hands. Can't wait.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 06:00 AM

Well, I have a certain affinity for old shredders, so you know which one I'd recommend. Those old beat up guitars just have a moxy about them that new guitars don't have. Also, it seems that new SLSMG is fixed bridge. It's body shape is more that of the Sabre series. Jackson used to have one called the Stealth that was like that too.

I have a Charvel 650XL, alternately known as the 650 Custom, which was the successor to the Model 6. I don't understand why the Model 6 gets all the love. I think the 650XL is a superior guitar. They share many of the same features, most importantly the neck through design. The 650XL has a Schaller Floyd and a standard Floyd locking nut, while the Model 6 comes with the single locking JT-6 and the funky Kahler style lock nut. The 650XL also has a regular style pickup selector switch, while the Model 6 has individual on/off switches for each pickup. Me personally, I like to switch fast, so the blade style works better for me.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 09:28 AM

Reviews: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doink View Post
Well, I have a certain affinity for old shredders, so you know which one I'd recommend. Those old beat up guitars just have a moxy about them that new guitars don't have. Also, it seems that new SLSMG is fixed bridge. It's body shape is more that of the Sabre series. Jackson used to have one called the Stealth that was like that too.

I have a Charvel 650XL, alternately known as the 650 Custom, which was the successor to the Model 6. I don't understand why the Model 6 gets all the love. I think the 650XL is a superior guitar. They share many of the same features, most importantly the neck through design. The 650XL has a Schaller Floyd and a standard Floyd locking nut, while the Model 6 comes with the single locking JT-6 and the funky Kahler style lock nut. The 650XL also has a regular style pickup selector switch, while the Model 6 has individual on/off switches for each pickup. Me personally, I like to switch fast, so the blade style works better for me.
Well, it's a matter of taste anyway. If one would want to mod the hell out of model 6, he could make those microswitches work as split/paraller etc, and get aftermarket 5-way switch for pupswitching. Or anything he would like. I am going to mod my model 6 anyway, just like every other guitars i've owned and own currently.. Just did schaller trem-arm mod for my 2570..

Tags
charvel , jackson , model 6 , soloist

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode