Charvel Thoughts? Looking at a new San Dimas.. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Charvel Thoughts? Looking at a new San Dimas..

..kinda pricey at $850.00... beautiful looking guitar though

Looking to compare it to my Ibanez's : RG370 and my new RG320DMZ

anyone have any info on Charvels??

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 08:19 PM

Reviews: 6
Re: Charvel Thoughts? Looking at a new San Dimas..

they're made in mexico...and if the fender mexican strats are any indication then the quality should be pretty good...the floyd?...well i'd probably replace that with a german ofr...but as i always say...find one and lay your hands on it...spend a little time with it to make sure you like it before plunking down money for it...d.m.
diablomozart is online  
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 07:02 PM

Reviews: 34

The recently made Charvels I have played in the last few years have been unbelievably good.

Probably the only factory made guitar I would drop any money on.

The ones I tried (numerous models, can't remember which) were fitted with Schaller made trems.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

any ideas as to what Ibanez model might compare to the San Dimas?

http://www.charvel.com/guitars/index...tno=2966000518

I can order one from New York, can't find any shop in/around Chicago with one to play.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 11:22 AM

Reviews: 15

I have several guitars, and non of them match the quality of my Charvel Model 4. That guitar is still mint after all these years and will outplay anything out there.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitycane View Post
any ideas as to what Ibanez model might compare to the San Dimas?

http://www.charvel.com/guitars/index...tno=2966000518

I can order one from New York, can't find any shop in/around Chicago with one to play.
None. Charvel is its own animal.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 07-31-2013, 10:26 PM

Reviews: 5

As I understand it, the only USA models available at the moment are the signature models and custom shop options. The "Pro Mod" series are Japanese, and the "Desolation" series are cheaper.

I've played a Desolation series Les Paul variant and it was quite nice for the money. Still, I'd suggest buying an older used Charvel USA San Dimas if that's the guitar you like.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

The Charvels are finally hitting the stores! Anyone played a 2013 San Dimas yet? I was going to check one out tomorrow.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 08:02 AM

I am on the fence, I am really thinking about ordering one of the San Dimas Style 1 HS hardtail models. I have a Model 4 which I absolutely love but have been really getting into hardtails lately and love the "strat" body of the Charvels.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 03:13 PM

The ProMod, or Production Models have had 3 different versions over the last couple years. The hardware has stayed pretty much the same throughout. The bridge says "Floyd Rose" on it, but these are OEM trems made by Ping in Korea.

USA models: Came in 1 color per model every 3 months. Pickup ring mounted Duncans on the SanDimas models, pickguard mounted Dimarzio pickups on the SoCal. More color variety. Top mounted bridge with no pull-up rout. Gigbag included.

Japanese models: More standardized colors(red/white/black/etc) as well as a "Wildcard" every so often. Body mounted Duncans on the SanDimas models, pickguard mounted Dimarzio pickups on the SoCal. Top mounted bridge with no pull-up rout. Hardshell Case included.

Mexican models: Newest version. Same colors as the Japanese models, with some added flame-top models. All guitars come with Duncan pickups, and the trem guitars are recessed. Dunno on the case issue.

Quality wise, these are on par with a Prestige Ibanez, the Indo models aren't even in the same ballpark.
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

hey guys, you seem to know more than me. here is what I'm looking at:
http://www.gearhounds.com/charvel-pr...pple-blue.aspx

is this made in Japan?

how would you compare the Duncans to the RG370 / Rg350?

How about the trem on this thing - is the Edge III and / or Edge II ZPR better?

i'm bringing my ibby with me to compare later today. i'm never giving up my Ibby's just that I like the Strat look at times and colors of the Charvels.

thanks for the insight..
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 09:56 PM

I just picked up a usa so cal in orange metal flake last week. I picked it up at a
music store and couldn't put it down. The neck is way different than any ibanez
I have had. Yet it is so comfortable. I put some dimarzio transitions in it and I still
can't stop playing it. Killer guitar for the money.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

had a chance to play a San Dimas yesterday, local shop finally got them in. All I can say is my initial reaction is 'wow' - very nice. It did remind me of a Prestige. Played great, very nice neck, great action, very smooth. Trem seemed a wee bit tight, but appeared to be fine. Appeared to be 'easy to work on' as well. Guitar looked really nice too - strat look/feel. I like the candy apple color - its not as nice as the Ibby jewel blue, but close. Semour Duncan pups, any opinions on those? It seemed quite a bit heavier than my RG's - anyone else notice that? Certainly way heavier than the S470 I had.

Owner of the shop said 51% of it was made in Mexico and the other manufacturers were split between Japan and the USA. Does that make sense?

Anyhow, I've got an opportunity to buy one for $649 - no tax, no shipping. I'd have to wait a couple of weeks, no biggie. The shop owner said I could walk out for $775 but i'd have to pay tax so I'm going the $649 route out-of-state.

If your looking to pick one of these up, this shop is in IL (you could probably talk him down to $775) and he's a cool guy. He's got all the models and HT's as well I believe. I'm not sure if I can post web sites on this forum so if your interested, let me know.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitycane View Post
Owner of the shop said 51% of it was made in Mexico and the other manufacturers were split between Japan and the USA. Does that make sense?
Not really, the Japanese plant that was making them in 2011 shut down(which is why there are no more Japanese Jacksons either), so none of the parts are MIJ anymore. The hardware is Korean, and the pickups are USA Duncans. Maybe that's what he meant?

Honestly, as long as the quality control is there, and they don't change the neck profile, these are always going to be awesome guitars, IMO. That neck plays itself.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 11:59 AM

Reviews: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
Quality wise, these are on par with a Prestige Ibanez, the Indo models aren't even in the same ballpark.
Not sure if I agree with that...I own 2 Ibanez prestige guitars and I think they are much nicer guitars than the Charvel So-Cal I had. I bought a Charvel So-cal last year and I ended up returning it - the fret ends were rough and poorly finished, the set up was poor in that it was fretting out when bending and it was not as resonant as either of my Ibanez Prestige guitars...maybe I was just unlucky and ran across a bad one that slipped through their quality control but I was not impressed. the Charvels look nice and I like the neck profile and I like the quartersawn necks but the one I had was definitely not on par with my Ibby prestige models...just an opinion

Tags
charvel san dimas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode