charvel vs. charvette - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

charvel vs. charvette

What is the difference between charvel and and charvette. Was charvette like the budget guitars for charvel which one's better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 12:03 PM

Reviews: 4
Re: charvel vs. charvette

I have never heard of such a thing!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 12:42 PM

It has been a long time but if I am not mistaken Charvette is to Charvel what Gio is to Ibanez.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 01:44 PM

Fender vs. Squier.

EDIT: Quote from Wikipedia entry - "The korean made Charvette brand was also produced to cover the lower end of the market at this time."

Last edited by axemanrio; 06-11-2008 at 02:05 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 02:44 PM

I had a charvette a really long time ago, and it wasn't too bad, but it wasn't too good, either. Probably Gio quality.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
It has been a long time but if I am not mistaken Charvette is to Charvel what Gio is to Ibanez.
yea, spot on mate - they are just a budget charvel... they had some pretty funky paint jobs in the 80's though

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...d.php?t=959429
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
they had some pretty funky paint jobs in the 80's though

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...d.php?t=959429
I had a super green neon piss colored one. Kinda like if you took too many vitamins.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 08:00 PM

If I remember, at least some of them had plywood bodies. I had, like, one Charvette. Let's just say it wasn't mine for long.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 08:46 AM

Simple answer, Charvel = great guitars, Charvette = wooden object that resembles a guitar very closely, but just doesn't play like one.

Rock on!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 12:56 AM

don't knock all the charvettes! it depends on where they were made. the company started making the charvette model 170 and model 270 in japan then moved the whole line to korea. there are very obvious differences in the quality of these 2 lines, the japanese being the better. they had a much better trem and tuners, alder bodies, and better build quality. you can tell the difference between the japanese and korean models by looking at the inlays on the neck, specifically the 24th fret. on the japanese models the dot inlays are closer together than on the korean. with the japanese version the dots are centered under the a and b strings and on the korean they are cenetered between the e and a strings and the b and high e strings. the body shapes were different. the strat styled ones were korean and the sleeker soloist style bodies were made in japan. the japanese also has a floyd rose licensed charvel trem that has never given me any trouble on either of the model 170's i own, even with radical trem use! my buddy has the korean model and the trem is just plain weird looking, very squarish and does not stay in tune no matter what he does.

i did change the pickups because the stock charvel pickups just didn't have enough gain for my taste. i also love the fact that they are 24 3/4" scale and the necks are VERY thin. this is a blessing because i have small hands and shorter than average fingers. the necks are quite easy to play on and the action can be set very low without fretting out all over the place. i use ernie ball skinny top/ heavy bottm strings on them and all my guitar playing friends can't believe how lowthe action is and how well it plays.

i have owned guitars made by ibanez, fender, jackson, and ltd. imho, these are the perfect guitars for me. wish they still made em'!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 04:50 AM
Banned

i knew someone that had a charvette.he only paid Ģ70-Ģ80 for it,load of rubbish really but it was a awsome neon red colour
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 09:30 AM

For me, the main difference would be you could by a Charvel without playing it first, but you can't do that with a Charvette. The Charvels I've played have all been good at a minimum; both USA and Japanese.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2009, 02:56 PM

I have the 270? model it has a great neck but the tremolo on it was a piece of ****, i wonīt say a think about the pickups but it isnīt half bad for a budget guitar. + 20 years and still the neck is straight as an arrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode