cheap 7 strings out there - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

cheap 7 strings out there

What other 7 strings are there on the market under 400, apart from the RG7321 and Schecter Omen 7?

I'd prefer standard 25.5 scale, and am not bothered about whether it has a trem...

It seems Washburn, Jackson and all have stopped doing 7 strings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 03:37 PM

Re: cheap 7 strings out there

What about the Agile Interceptor. 27.5" scale and at one point had DiMarzio Blazes in them. $400 USD

Other than that, the used and closeout market is always good to turn to.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 03:39 PM

go used, keep an eye out. i dunno how it is over in the UK, but i just scored an S7420FMTT mint for $450 at the guitar center here.
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeglectedField
what?? Washburn still makes them!

Washburn WG-587 : $200 on Music(111+11+1)
only part i don't like about it is that they don't have a trem. or flyod rose, and the headstock is a 7/. i would like a 3-4, but besides that, its a steal for $200, maybe even cheaper on da Bay.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 04:31 PM

Red face Re: cheap 7 strings out there

There is a reason why this guitar is so cheap. The other guitarist in my band bought one from music***. It seems to work fair enough, only staying in tune seems to be a problem. And I would definitely change the pick-ups, although he hasn't yet...
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 04:54 PM

it stays in tune for me, what kinda strings is he putting on? i use a heavy gage(84-63-43-33-19-15-11) and drop it down a few steps...like 4 or 2 sometimes
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 05:07 PM

Washburn doesnt make the WG587 anymore, Musiconetwothree is still selling them from their own large stock of them. (At least thats what I hear)

However, Washburn IS currently making a 7 string, the X17. Its basically a WG587 with a basswood (rather than alder) body, offset dots, string thru, and an update to Washburn's usual goofy headstock, which looks wierd this large imo. The price is the same at $200. Check it:

I played this guitar in Sam Ash a few weaks ago, and it was impressive for the price. The neck was pretty thin, and very playable. The frets werent the best, and the rosewood end was pretty nasty, but eh, get what you pay for.
I adjusted to it instantly, and overall I liked it, but If I were to get one(a 7), I'd have to grab the WG587, as Im an alder freak, plus it has a 5 way.

Either way you look at, you now have a choice if you go the cheap Washburn route. The sweet offset dots are killing me, but alder is the best! And who doesnt like a Ibanez headstock ripoff?

\00/
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

A problem with most of these suggestions (as helpful and as appreciated as they are) is that I live in the UK, and I don't even see any 7 string models on the Washburn official site, let alone there being very few Washburn distributors in the UK.

I've considered Maverick, who at least did some 7 strings (none currently on official site) but I see no 7 string mavericks in local guitar shops, which is a shame cos I need to try a guitar before parting with the cash...
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 05:44 PM

Quote:
A problem with most of these suggestions (as helpful and as appreciated as they are) is that I live in the UK, and I don't even see any 7 string models on the Washburn official site, let alone there being very few Washburn distributors in the UK.

I've considered Maverick, who at least did some 7 strings (none currently on official site) but I see no 7 string mavericks in local guitar shops, which is a shame cos I need to try a guitar before parting with the cash...
If you knew someone in the US, you could always have them place the order, then mail it to you once they receive it. Shipping is expensive, but not as much as the markup you folks in the UK have to pay.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiurge
If you knew someone in the US, you could always have them place the order, then mail it to you once they receive it. Shipping is expensive, but not as much as the markup you folks in the UK have to pay.
In addition to this, if you make a friend at one of the US Air Force bases it's VERY cheap to send something to a base address. Especially from the east coast. It only cost me $20 to ship a guitar over there (insured) and best of all... NO VAT!!!
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 07:30 PM

Can't remember exactly what i paid for it but I got a ESP LTD, with FR trem for about 300. Kick ass guitar.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanitarium
Can't remember exactly what i paid for it but I got a ESP LTD, with FR trem for about £300. Kick ass guitar.
Is it a 7 string? I did try a 7 string FR ESP/LTD at the London Guitar show. Wasn't bad, shame the sellers didn't have an allen key so it could be tuned properly...

Only 7 strings ESP/LTD are doing at the moment are the Stephen Carpenter ones, and they're out of my price range...
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-15-2006, 01:40 AM

aslin dane? Anyone ever heard of them?
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 05:46 PM

Music 1 2 3 has an exclusive Epiphone "goth" flat black 7 string Les Paul for $299.
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 06-17-2006, 07:56 PM
Dee

Quote:
What other 7 strings are there on the market under 400, apart from the RG7321 and Schecter Omen 7?

I'd prefer standard 25.5 scale, and am not bothered about whether it has a trem...

I think the 7321 is about the best in it's price range, and they can be found on the 'bay for good prices. I was looking earlier today and saw a brand new one for 284. I would like one myself.

Tags
agile interceptor , dimarzio blaze , guitar shop , les paul , local guitar shop , sam ash , schecter omen , stephen carpenter , string guitars , string pickup , string pickups

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode