Cheap Ibanez for Project Guitar - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2005, 04:47 PM Thread Starter

Cheap Ibanez for Project Guitar

I've been after a lefty Ibanez w/ Wizard Prestige neck with a fixed bridge. Seeing as they don't make lefty RGAs and the necks on the SZ series are more bulky I've decided to buy an RG and convert it to a fixed bridge.

This is my first project guitar and my DIY skills are almost non existent so i'm not too keen on buying a 1570L in case I mess up. So basically what I'd like to know is how low I can go in the RG series with the necks still being fairly decent? Preferably as close to Wizard Prestige as possible!

I can get a 570L but it's still a little more than I want to risk spending. There's also 470Ls and 370Ls and I believe there are 270Ls? If I can I'd prefer the lowest but i'm not sure if the quality would be too low and I'd be disappointed with the finished result.

I'm hoping I can go low here since I won't be using the trem, so tuning stability problems won't be an issue here. It's all down to the necks.

What do you think I should go for? I can't go out and try these for myself as no one here stocks left handed Ibanez. Thanks!

Last edited by integra; 08-15-2005 at 04:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 03:50 AM

Re: Cheap Ibanez for Project Guitar

I blocked the trem of my S270 (it's not an RG series but I imagine its quality is comparable to an RG270). I didn't see the point in doing the full trem-to-fixed conversion because it stays in tune beautifully and intonation is spot on. The strings feel very different, much more responsive, and the tone is 'bigger'. That's with a crappy ILT single-locking tremolo, mind you.

I was delighted with the overall result and the neck played beautifully BUT (and this can be a very big but), I suddenly started having buzz problems. The guitar needs a fret level after about 3 years of not-so-heavy playing (amateur). Even though the fretwor is surprisingly good, I think the frets themselves are pretty crappy.

Perhaps you might get better necks and hardware in the 3-4 series (better fretwork). The 5 series will withstand any abuse, but they might be out of your budget.

You can always try a cheapo body (2 series) and a better neck (4-5 series) to get the best of both worlds.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 03:58 AM

You can get a 470L for pretty cheap. Especially if its trem is in rough shape, which it probably will be. There is quite a noticeable difference in feel when comparing a 470 neck to a 1570s neck. I own a 1570L and my friend owns a 470L and I could instantly tell a difference. the 470 neck is fatter and its easily noticeable. I could still play on it, but i prefered the fell of my neck.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 08:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. What I might do is see if I can find a cheap righty to try this out on first and then maybe move onto a 570/1570L when i'm confident I can pull it off. I'm sure I'd be able to sell the righty on afterwards for near enough what I bought it for.

I would just get a 1570L and block the trem but i'm really interested in getting into customising and building guitars as a hobby so i'm hoping this project will be a good starting place.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 08:16 AM

A generally good guitar for customizing is the RG 550 . It's also a great player in itself.

Regards

André

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
A generally good guitar for customizing is the RG 550 . It's also a great player in itself.
+1
You will probably get the same opinion on here from almost everyone. An RG550 or any 5xx series for that matter is your best bet. They are very well built, japanese made, of a high quality, good stable trem, nice necks. All you have to do to have yourself an A* guitar is change the pickups to DiMarzios or anything of your choice (EMG's, Duncan's)

They are generally a very good price "used" too, along with the RG570 and other 5xx series models. For me and for many others they are probably the best quality=price guitar available. The best bang for buck anywhere I have found.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather
+1
You will probably get the same opinion on here from almost everyone. An RG550 or any 5xx series for that matter is your best bet. They are very well built, japanese made, of a high quality, good stable trem, nice necks. All you have to do to have yourself an A* guitar is change the pickups to DiMarzios or anything of your choice (EMG's, Duncan's)

They are generally a very good price "used" too, along with the RG570 and other 5xx series models. For me and for many others they are probably the best quality=price guitar available. The best bang for buck anywhere I have found.
They are great AND they come in lefties .

Regards

André

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Of course......like all good guitars should!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 10:29 AM

Quote:

Regards

André
For all the freaks amongst us!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

How bout a RG560? Sound good?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 10:55 AM

RG560's are great too.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman
For all the freaks amongst us!
hehe .

Regards

André

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 12:38 PM

There is a lefty RG560 on that auction site at moment

Regards

André

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 12:42 PM

That looks like quite a nice exmaple too actually. It still seems wierd to me looking at an Ibanez lefty.....lol. Just doesnt seem right. It still looks nice, just different
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2005, 03:20 PM

Quote:
There is a lefty RG560 on that auction site at moment

Regards

André
even includes an EMG pickup. That seems like a sweet deal!

Tags
fixed bridge , fret level , left handed ibanez , locking tremolo , spring cavity , strat style , wizard prestige , wizard prestige neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode