Cheap Strat advice - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

Cheap Strat advice

Hi guys,

I want to buy a cheap-ish Strat for modding an I'm kinda lost. The most reasonable way would be to buy a used Mexi, but I've been scouring the classifieds for days and it looks like the people around here tend to hang on to stuff that's at least half decent. In other words, I only found no-name plywood planks for sale. So I turn to you guys for advice - what are some decent strats that I can buy new? My research points to Squier Clasic Vibe series and Tokais, but I want to hear some more options.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 04:01 AM

Reviews: 120
Re: Cheap Strat advice

The Classic Vibes are supposed to be excellent value for money. Great playing guitars for little coin. Apparently even the pickups are reasonable. Change the tuners and bridge and you'll most probably have a killer player.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
The Classic Vibes are supposed to be excellent value for money. Great playing guitars for little coin. Apparently even the pickups are reasonable. Change the tuners and bridge and you'll most probably have a killer player.
this.....

rich
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonePhantom View Post
Totally agree with this, the classic vibes are great value and the alnico pickups sound outstanding for a 300-350 dollar strat. I personally own 2 vintage series Squiers (Jazzmaster and Jaguar) and people just don't believe they are Squiers and cost sub 300. You can also go the Used Mexican route which can be found for around 200-250 but you will most likely want to change out the terrible ceramic pickups they put in them. Fortunately there really isn't any shortage of strats on this planet so I'm sure you will find one that speaks to you. Lol

But my real advice would be buy a used American Standard from the 90's. The TOPS in my book. I have a 95 and its my baby.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 08:51 AM

I have an AXL badwater SRO that I like, paid 58 for it on ebay.
the bridge is rubbish, I changed the pickups and the tuners quickly but they might have been OK.
Anyway the neck plays well and the body looks cool,
with new tuners and the bridge blocked it stays in tune.
Never going to be a great guitar but it looks and feels OK.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 08:54 AM

Reviews: 10

Cheap and it doesn't actually need modding except maybe the pickups.

http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-bod...in-natural.asp
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rty13ibz98 View Post
this.....

rich
same here.. I haven't played a strat one, but tried out a tele and I melted like butter. I had to check the headstcok again to see what it was.

Tags
cheap , squier , strat , tokai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode