Chibson. Maybe... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Chibson. Maybe...

Hey Jemsite. Just another thread where we're going to beat that, poor, deceased horse. I've been looking around online at the Chinese reproduction Gibsons, or Chibsons if you will. I'm thinking of buying one for some practice with fixing things and making adjustments without feeling to guilty if I totally demolish the thing.

I'm thinking a Les Paul copy, because of its hard tail bridge. I wouldn't even consider buy a Fake Ibanez, just because of the work involved in resurrecting the tremolo. I think even if it's a huge flop, I can still let it hang on the wall and look pretty.

He's a picture: http://www.gillguitar.com/index.php?..._image&pID=474
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 04:30 PM

Re: Chibson. Maybe...

You'd be better off buying a GOOD kit LP to learn on than a POS chibson. That way it at least has the possibility of becoming a good guitar... The chibson won't...
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-18-2014, 07:15 PM

Also, don't buy fakes and steal money from honest companies. If you just want a single cut body, buy a fujigen neo classic, epiphone, or any number of REAL copies.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

I just like the look of the guitar, the Rosso Corsa has always tickled my fancy. This particular company let's you change headstock logo's. I'm thinking Gobsin or something stupid like that
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swirltop View Post
You'd be better off buying a GOOD kit LP to learn on than a POS chibson. That way it at least has the possibility of becoming a good guitar... The chibson won't...
I have seen many people making reviews on Chibsons saying some of them, are actually very decent guitars, if changing a few things here and there.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetar_kid View Post
I just like the look of the guitar, the Rosso Corsa has always tickled my fancy. This particular company let's you change headstock logo's. I'm thinking Gobsin or something stupid like that
That would be pretty cool, or maybe even a nosbiG, or why not call it for what it is, a Chibson!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Don't expect to receive a guitar that looks like that picture, expect a POS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzerman View Post
I have seen many people making reviews on Chibsons saying some of them, are actually very decent guitars, if changing a few things here and there.
I've seen more bad than good reviews... The good reviews I've seen are by kids that don't know any better yet
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-19-2014, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Don't expect to receive a guitar that looks like that picture, expect a POS

I've seen more bad than good reviews... The good reviews I've seen are by kids that don't know any better yet
Well, luckily got me, I am a kid. The Geetar one, in fact. Anyways, I realise it'll look different than the picture they posted, but it will look similar, and that's all I really expect and want. I'm also not expecting a Gibson quality guitar. I'm not *that* stupid. What I'm hoping for is a piece of balsa wood with fence wire for strings. I have no expectations whatsoever for this thing. That is IF I buy one. I've also had my eye on an RG1XXV FPK for about $600. I'm more leaning towards the RG at the moment.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:
It is not my impression, in fact, I have seen quite a lot of positive reviews, and most of them were not kids.

Of course I see why many people feel disgusted about the whole thing, but speaking from an objective point of view, it seems there are quite a few who actually think some of the guitars are ok, considering the price, and if changing some stuff out.

But I am no expert on Chibsons, and me personally I only own real Gibsons.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Well, luckily got me, I am a kid. The Geetar one, in fact. Anyways, I realise it'll look different than the picture they posted, but it will look similar, and that's all I really expect and want. I'm also not expecting a Gibson quality guitar. I'm not *that* stupid. What I'm hoping for is a piece of balsa wood with fence wire for strings. I have no expectations whatsoever for this thing. That is IF I buy one. I've also had my eye on an RG1XXV FPK for about $600. I'm more leaning towards the RG at the moment.
That wasn't a shot at you. At least with the RG there's the potential of getting a nice playing guitar that's not a pile of crap glued together. That's why I suggested getting a kit LP from a reputable source. You'd learn a lot and it would have potential to be a nice guitar made from good wood...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzerman View Post
It is not my impression, in fact, I have seen quite a lot of positive reviews, and most of them were not kids.

Of course I see why many people feel disgusted about the whole thing, but speaking from an objective point of view, it seems there are quite a few who actually think some of the guitars are ok, considering the price, and if changing some stuff out.

But I am no expert on Chibsons, and me personally I only own real Gibsons.
You'd be the first Gibson owner I've ever seen advocating for Chinese fakes then...

I am being objective here, I don't want the OP to get screwed OR send money off to the counterfeiters to keep doing what they are doing..... and for the price they charge you'd be getting ripped the F off

Have you seen any of the up close and detailed side by side comparisons on youtube where they actually disassemble the chibson? Plywood bodies, absolute garbage routing, crap fit and finish, junk hardware, and electrics. Guitars that don't intonate, necks stuck on crooked....
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
You'd be the first Gibson owner I've ever seen advocating for Chinese fakes then...

I am being objective here, I don't want the OP to get screwed OR send money off to the counterfeiters to keep doing what they are doing..... and for the price they charge you'd be getting ripped the F off

Have you seen any of the up close and detailed side by side comparisons on youtube where they actually disassemble the chibson? Plywood bodies, absolute garbage routing, crap fit and finish, junk hardware, and electrics. Guitars that don't intonate, necks stuck on crooked....
Swirltop, quick question, I asked the same question on the Les Paul forums and almost get banned,but the thing is, a great quality guitar coming from a reputable builder in the States, copying to the minimal detail everything from the original ones, even the prices, and being called a replica, is not the same thing as those Chinese fakes? Not wanting to start something here, just trying to understand why people tend to bash those chinese know offs but love the copies created by luthiers. Just have one Les Paul, the girl of my eyes and it's an original one, and once played a chibson and yes, you pretty much described it.

A.-
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturocivit View Post
Swirltop, quick question, I asked the same question on the Les Paul forums and almost get banned,but the thing is, a great quality guitar coming from a reputable builder in the States, copying to the minimal detail everything from the original ones, even the prices, and being called a replica, is not the same thing as those Chinese fakes? Not wanting to start something here, just trying to understand why people tend to bash those chinese know offs but love the copies created by luthiers. Just have one Les Paul, the girl of my eyes and it's an original one, and once played a chibson and yes, you pretty much described it.

A.-
Hopefully the difference is quality all the way around, but it's still a counterfeit guitar if they're making them to sell... I can understand if you want something different that the the manufacturer doesn't offer or produce anymore, different finish, pickup configuration etc. But generally, for a HIGH quality LP clone/replica/copy , you're not going to save any money.

Boils down to the deceptive advertising and junk quality of the Chinese guitars vs. the hopefully high quality and honest advertising of the "custom shop" guitars... If they are both exact copies for resale then both are illegal though...

At that price point it seems like it's more the prestige of "I own a guitar custom made to my specs"...
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Hopefully the difference is quality all the way around, but it's still a counterfeit guitar if they're making them to sell... I can understand if you want something different that the the manufacturer doesn't offer or produce anymore, different finish, pickup configuration etc. But generally, for a HIGH quality LP clone/replica/copy , you're not going to save any money.

Boils down to the deceptive advertising and junk quality of the Chinese guitars vs. the hopefully high quality and honest advertising of the "custom shop" guitars... If they are both exact copies for resale then both are illegal though...

At that price point it seems like it's more the prestige of "I own a guitar custom made to my specs"...
Fully noted, thanks man!

A.-
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 03:53 PM

Reviews: 6

Please don't waste your money. Sure if you're a masochist who likes to be cut by the frets every time you slide up the neck, if you want an action similar to a violin, then go for it.

The examples on their sites are awful, as I previously owned an original LP, I can tell you there's nothing like the real thing and these are not even 1% near the real thing.

Here's the problem, China, sure every other country in Asia did it at some point. Ibanez were copying Fender and Gibson designs, BUT they weren't putting Gibson or Fender on their headstocks. Then they started to innovate and became world leaders. What happened 20 years into the recovery of Japan, Korea and Taiwan that didn't and probably will never happen in China? They realised they were becoming the factories for cheap goods and decided to innovate, they adapted their education system to create leaders instead of followers, for political reasons China can not take this risk. So as Japan innovated from the 70s on, Korea and Taiwan from the 90s, China is still a 2nd rate imitator and will be as long as it ignores the rule of law and uses it's education system to produce loyal followers. I was not popular while in China for having this view, but quite a few people admitted privately they agreed.

Buy a LP style guitar from a reputable manufacturer and from a vendor in Canada, the US, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Australia or Europe. At least even if the guitar is assembled in China there's quality control (to international standards), there's a chain of command outside China and most importantly there's a warranty.

Before you buy this maggot infested heap of wire and wood that may have previously been used as a fence and has probably been made in part with forced or underage labour consider this question:

Would you buy a CD with Steve Vai's name on it if you knew it wasn't Steve but some guy from Shanghai playing twinkle twinkle little star through a Chibanez Jen and a Marsha amp?

I doubt it, do yourself a favour and get something that reflects the quality for the money you're spending. There are plenty of good cheap guitars styled on the classics that are not made by 12 year olds in a broom factory in Kunming.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-20-2014, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laobi View Post
Please don't waste your money. Sure if you're a masochist who likes to be cut by the frets every time you slide up the neck, if you want an action similar to a violin, then go for it.

The examples on their sites are awful, as I previously owned an original LP, I can tell you there's nothing like the real thing and these are not even 1% near the real thing.

Here's the problem, China, sure every other country in Asia did it at some point. Ibanez were copying Fender and Gibson designs, BUT they weren't putting Gibson or Fender on their headstocks. Then they started to innovate and became world leaders. What happened 20 years into the recovery of Japan, Korea and Taiwan that didn't and probably will never happen in China? They realised they were becoming the factories for cheap goods and decided to innovate, they adapted their education system to create leaders instead of followers, for political reasons China can not take this risk. So as Japan innovated from the 70s on, Korea and Taiwan from the 90s, China is still a 2nd rate imitator and will be as long as it ignores the rule of law and uses it's education system to produce loyal followers. I was not popular while in China for having this view, but quite a few people admitted privately they agreed.

Buy a LP style guitar from a reputable manufacturer and from a vendor in Canada, the US, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Australia or Europe. At least even if the guitar is assembled in China there's quality control (to international standards), there's a chain of command outside China and most importantly there's a warranty.

Before you buy this maggot infested heap of wire and wood that may have previously been used as a fence and has probably been made in part with forced or underage labour consider this question:

Would you buy a CD with Steve Vai's name on it if you knew it wasn't Steve but some guy from Shanghai playing twinkle twinkle little star through a Chibanez Jen and a Marsha amp?

I doubt it, do yourself a favour and get something that reflects the quality for the money you're spending. There are plenty of good cheap guitars styled on the classics that are not made by 12 year olds in a broom factory in Kunming.
Maybe I do want to get cut when I slide my hand along the neck. I'm 17, it seems to be all the rage these days, plus I would like to be able to shine a black light over a Fibson and see the blood of the 12 year old who made it. A signature of sorts. Sick humor. Oh well. But the point of buying the thing in the first place was to make it decent. I realise it won't be Gibson quality, it's not helping being told that for the millionth time. The getting cut won't matter because it's been fixed before. By me, not hard to do. The point of buying the guitar in the first place was to he a project, realizing it'd be sh*t.

Last edited by geetar_kid; 05-21-2014 at 08:03 AM.

Tags
chibson , fake , gibson , les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode