Ibanez JEM Forum banner
3K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Big Red 
#1 ·
Hi folks,

GAS has hit me hard, and I think am I ready to handle a Prestige. I have narrowed it done to these two models, and I have a few questions:

a). Coming from an RG320FM (with its smooth top), I was wondering how rough the textures are on both the 2620 and 220A. Will they turn my picking arm into grated cheese (regardless of picking technique)? They are not in stock at my local music store (Steve's in Toronto), so I am unable to test them out at this point.

b). How much brighter is ashwood in comparison into basswood? I am more into melody as opposed to going chugga-chugga.

I don't want to consider the other models for various reasons (e.g. middle pick-up gets in the way, don't like pick-guards, etc....), and the 320Q costs more money than I am willing to spend.

Thanks

#3 ·
I have a 2620 too and the finish is a satin lacquer ( the textured finish is slight and quite smooth to the touch) and under sweaty gig conditions it's great because your arm doesn't stick to it at all unlike the glossy finishes !!! Most people love satin finished necks so................

#6 ·
ash is brighter and crisper than basswood. it is said the basswood is between alder and mahogany for tone.
the ash might be nice for crisper clearer tones but the basswood might be more "all around" for rhythms and leads.
i wouldn't worry about the feel of the body - they are both smooth and silky. the texture is minor and actually less than a DBK and those are smooth as well.
unless you're sold on a trem RG, i would consider the RGA as the woods are very balanced and you can always put your choice of pups in it to suit you.

#7 ·
Ash has terrific bite for soloing and its very resonant for chords where you want to hear each note of the chord (Think a big M7th chord with heavy distortion and you want to hear ALL the tones thru the dissonance). I have a Swamp Ash strat with OFR, and a Swamp Ash custom 7. I like both very much. Even the low B on the 7 cuts thru distortion and sounds defined. Watch your pickup choices with Ash or it may get a little "cutting" of you have too bright a pickup.

#8 ·
Thanks for the input folks, that was extremely helpful. I have just thought of another Prestige-noob-type question; how is the tremolo arm attached to these upper-level RGs? Do they screw in, or do you just place it in and the arm therefore swings freely? I am asking because I want it to stay still regardless of what position the guitar is sitting in. Or in other words, I want it to hover close/r to my picking hand when required.

I'm am really starting to get annoyed with my with 3-series RG when the tremolo arm automatically aims towards the floor.

Cheers

#11 ·
i think (correct me if i'm wrong) you can change out the bar and insert to a screw in style with a collar so you can set it where you want it. do a little research on the forums or post in the mods/tech section and someone will answer.
if you keep the plastic pcs fresh, the arm will stay in place. Ibanez sends out a few extras with a new guitar and they are easily (and usually) found for cheap.
any closer to a choice on the guitar?

#12 ·
any closer to a choice on the guitar?
No, not yet. At the very least I want to try them out at my local music shop, compare them to each other (overall feel, tonal quality of each wood), and A/B them against my current RG320FM (basswood with maple top, loaded with a Dimarzio Super Distortion and a PAF-Pro). They didn't have any 2620's or 220A's in stock when I went in last week, but I was told that the store will be gearing up for the Xmas season soon. However, I did get to try out a RG 2570E.... not impressed with the single coil (which gets in the way of my picking) or the color scheme of barely-visible fretboard inlays (couldn't easily determine exactly where my fingers were). God forbid I try out a vine-inlay Jem. LOL.

I saw these guitars (2620, 220A) in the shop a year ago, so I know that they carry them on a somewhat regular basis.

Cheers

#16 ·
the ash should have a distinctively crisper tone and i personally like the look of the ash but if brass tacks came down to it, i would get the mahogany version of the RGT. i still think (besides the Specials, J Customs or the SZ4020) the RGT320 is the nicest offering for looks, tone and features for me. the price is a killer though.
the basswood should be balanced (2620) but with what you are looking for i would highly recommend going to Ibanez Rules and getting the RGT220. you would shart yourself when you picked it up and held it in person and knowing that it is already yours will leave you breathless.
just my 2 cents but i think you have researched enough to buy it sight unseen and not be dissapointed. worse case scenario, you would be able to get MOST of your $ back if it wasn't the cat's meow (i'd be very suprised if it wasn't though! ;) ) selling it here or on auction.

#18 ·
Thats how I understand it. As per my posts on this thread, my basswood RG320FM has a maple top. Since Maple is the bassiest/thickest tone of them all (if I'm correct in my understanding), my RG's natural tone is between basswood and mahogany. Having said that, the RGT320Q must have the thickest natural tone out of the current RG's due to its mahogany body and AAA-quality maple top. I wonder what a ToneZone would sound like in that thing!

#19 ·
Actually Red, Maple is very bright, because it's a dense, heavy wood, it's the Mahogany thay has a lower-mid sound, more focused, warm, and lighter in weight than Maple. The combination of the two brings the warmth of Mahogany and the sustain of Maple together. And yes, I also have a RGT320QRBB as well as an 220A and a 220HSOL. It is considerably different in tone. It's much smoother, sustaining and focused than any of them, it's pure class in a class itself. Peace, Dre'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.