Classical guitar strings? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Question Classical guitar strings?

Allright so i have this very old acoustic guitar, i dont play it very much but the strings are at least 1 year old and i decided that its time for a change. I don't know if steel strings are only for acoustics, will it sound okay in a classical guitar. An what strings should i get, D'addario?
Oh just found out that the steel strings may damage the bridge of the classical guitar..... sorry for the thread...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 08:47 AM

Re: Classical guitar strings?

It's a good occasional reminder - I've seen a few guitars this way. It's not just the bridge - the whole top is at risk, because the top & bracing aren't made for that amount of stress.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 11:57 AM

As with steel strung guitars, you'll need to stretch the new nylon strings when you fit them.
You may also find that it takes a lot longer for the strings to settle and hold their tuning.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 12:24 PM

Yep, takes a hell of a lot longer to settle. But it's worth it. A new set of nylon strings really sound lovely.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 12:44 PM

You may want to get one of those 9 string packs, as the bass strings wear out a lot faster than the treble strings. Classical strings are rated on tension as well, so you'll see them in either hard or medium, generally. Hard can sound better, but medium can be easier to play. Just something else to think about when you go string shopping!

jim
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 02:48 PM

Reviews: 6

nylon stings aren't designed to hold steel strings, they can basically explode under the extra stress steel strings add. I would recommend getting the heaviest nylon gauge you can find. This will give you more volume and it'll still be comprable to ohhh, 10s.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 05:02 PM

I use D'addario Composites on my classicals. They are a bit pricey but they sound great and they last longer than any other string I've ever used.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 11:45 PM

i used to use sterling silver classical strings , they cost heaps but you dont get any string noise, they only hassle is they are weaker and tend to snap on there own in the case, i think d adaddrio used to make them , i remeber sending lots back to the usa to have them looked at .

Tags
acoustic guitar , nylon strings , steel strings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode