Cleaning guitar - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 03:45 AM Thread Starter

Cleaning guitar

Ok, here goes;

I've been playing guitar for some years now, but never really been into the whole cleaning the guitar-thing, which I've planned to make up for in the future..

That's a great plan right?

For wiping the strings, frets and the board itself after use, one seems to use microfiber-buffing-cloths, as per used for cars, or also kitchen-microfiber, but, what if you use something like this:

Evilbay item #231296819613 - Lens cleaning microfiber cloth?
- Would that work on all of the guitar for removing dust and finger-grease?
And, will it make scratches in the finish on the guitar body if I use it for cleaning the whle guitar?

Oh, and, the hardware don't like water - Anything I can use instead of water?

I'm mostly interested in how to keep the fretboard, frets and strings in great nick, but if you have any opinions on cleaning the whole guitar as well, and how to protect it also, that would be great..

~ IbanezFanatic777
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 09:38 AM

Re: Cleaning guitar

http://www.ducksdeluxe.com/ddaxwax.html
Great stuff.....a bottle will last you a long time. For heavy initial cleaning i use Murphys Oil soap. Yes, the auto microfiber towels work nicely and wont scratch.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 11:10 AM

Guitar maintenance is pretty simple. Don't overthink it.

I use distilled water and Zaino auto polish on my guitars - they get a thorough cleaning and polish each time I change strings. Any auto wax will do, really - it just so happens I own a few show cars and they get expensive polish (Zainobros.com) that I use on my guitars, too (and the Z2 polish smells like strawberries!). Any microfiber towel works great - I get them at Sam's Club in packs of 20 (12"x12" size) for about $25. I use Windex spritzed on a paper towel to clean the strings, then apply a light coat of olive oil to the strings using an old GHS Fast Fret can/stick I've had for 20+ years. Every six months, I put a dab of olive oil on the Fast Fret stick to keep it from drying out. Keeps my strings perfect, and if you do it religiously every time you play, you'll get a lot more life out of your strings. The more guitars you collect, the more string life matters.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak View Post
Guitar maintenance is pretty simple. Don't overthink it.

I use Windex spritzed on a paper towel to clean the strings, then apply a light coat of olive oil to the strings using an old GHS Fast Fret can/stick I've had for 20+ years. Every six months, I put a dab of olive oil on the Fast Fret stick to keep it from drying out. Keeps my strings perfect, and if you do it religiously every time you play, you'll get a lot more life out of your strings. The more guitars you collect, the more string life matters.
The olive oil suggestion is interesting, will try it on my Fast Fret stick (old). Do I have to wipe the strings off first to take away the sweat or does it work anyways?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 07:33 AM

IMO it's not a good idea to use olive oil anywhere near a guitar. Olive oil and most oils like olive oil turn rancid. This is why it's often specified on wooden chopping boards to only use food grade mineral oil on them, and specifically not olive oil which will go off and get mouldy.

For strings I use to buy a string cleaner called Kwik Fret. But found myself using too much of it to warrant the cost. 2x sprits onto microfibre cloth, then wipe down the strings. I've been doing this for years, and it basically means that even when my strings sound dead, they never feel gunky or sticky under my fingers.

This year I went on a bit of a journey trying to find a replacement to Kwik Fret, and I found it. Isopropanol (100% pure isopropyl alchohol), it can be bought from electronics stores online, or at some chemists.

Isopropanol in an old Kwik Fret bottle plus half a teaspoon of Eucalyptus oil seems to be perfect.

The isopropanol removes all human oils from guitar strings, and it evaporates almost instantly, so will not cause strings to rust.

The Eucalyptus oil just makes it smell nice, with the added bonus of leaving a small amount of lubrication on the strings. (but there's so little of it that it might as well not be there)

If you do some searches on google you'll find that a lot of gigging muso's use a bit of isopropanol on a rag to wipe down their strings after use.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilch View Post
IMO it's not a good idea to use olive oil anywhere near a guitar.
I knew someone would say that. You're not slathering it on, it's being lightly coated, then wiped-down after application, and it's available in almost everybody's kitchen (i.e., free refills!).

I've got two Ibanez purchased new in '91 and '92, one that has a maple fretboard which remains 100% stain-free and shines beautifully. Both guitars are in dead-mint condition after 20+ years of this practice. I use olive oil because I don't like applying any kind of chemical agent to my guitars, evaporative or not, other than a good car polish.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 10:46 AM

I once used olive oil to condition a fretboard since my lemon oil went missing. Smelled like chips for a while, but it still plays nice...
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 01:25 PM

I use the Dunlop cleaner and conditioner for my fretboard once every two years. No polish on guitar or frets and guitars I have look just fine. I used to use Dunlop polish on guitar once a week but it just made things greasy. I also over oiled my fretboard which didn't seem to damage it (loosen frets like some say) but gunked it up.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak View Post
I use olive oil because I don't like applying any kind of chemical agent to my guitars, evaporative or not, other than a good car polish.
just so other people are clear, only apply isopropyl alchohol to the strings, and not the body. I only mentioned string cleaning. Nothing else.

Rancid olive oil is much worse for you than evaporated isopropyl alchohol (cause hey, when it's evaporated it no longer exists).

Olive oil works for you, that's fair enough. But anyone that knows what rancid olive oil smells like will smell it all over your guitars.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag8 View Post
The olive oil suggestion is interesting, will try it on my Fast Fret stick (old).
+1! great tip
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 05:30 PM

Reviews: 2

I pretty much stick to just mayonnaise on my fretboards, but if the mood strikes me- I'll add some brown mustard then polish my frets with it.

Of course everyone knows to use peanut butter to polish/buff all painted surfaces. I've found that it really cleans up the hardware nicely too........ HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

Another good tip is to lube all moving parts with raw egg..........it really gets in there and frees up the knife edges.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 07:14 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post

Of course everyone knows to use peanut butter to polish/buff all painted surfaces. I've found that it really cleans up the hardware nicely too........ HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!

Chunky or smooth?
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 07:27 PM

This is what I do, everytime before I play guitar I give my hands a very thorough clean. ( I assume everybody already does this but worth mentioning anyhow )
I use an old cotton shirt to wipe strings and fretboard after I play everytime no matter what length of time I have played.
Also once a week I apply Dunlop65 string cleaner to the strings.
And so my all my guitars strings do not get affected by weather conditions in there cases I put de-humidifiers in them, can also use silica bags like the ones you get in new shoe boxes etc.
I play at least 2hrs everyday and my strings last between 5-7weeks at a time before needing replacing.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
I pretty much stick to just mayonnaise on my fretboards, but if the mood strikes me- I'll add some brown mustard then polish my frets with it.

Another good tip is to lube all moving parts with raw egg..........it really gets in there and frees up the knife edges.
+1 the best thing about all this is all the stuff you need is "free"!

Be wary of lite fat free mayo though. The water content seems to be higher and I've found that it causes rosewood to start separating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Chunky or smooth?
Chunky if you have deep scratches to remove.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-26-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibag View Post
This is what I do, everytime before I play guitar I give my hands a very thorough clean. ( I assume everybody already does this but worth mentioning anyhow )
I use an old cotton shirt to wipe strings and fretboard after I play everytime no matter what length of time I have played.
Also once a week I apply Dunlop65 string cleaner to the strings.
And so my all my guitars strings do not get affected by weather conditions in there cases I put de-humidifiers in them, can also use silica bags like the ones you get in new shoe boxes etc.
I play at least 2hrs everyday and my strings last between 5-7weeks at a time before needing replacing.
Dunlop 65 string cleaner is good. It's mainly 100%-pure isopropyl alcohol with a few other additives.

Tags
fretboard , microfiber , water

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode