Cleaning my Fretboard !! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Cleaning my Fretboard !!

Ok so since ive had my fabulous PGM i havent put it down. The fretboard is quite frankly filthy already! What is the best and easyiest way to clean it? what should i be useing to clean it? I read somehwere you shouldnt remove all the strings.

thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 02:29 PM

Re: Cleaning my Fretboard !!

theres a sticky thread about this is repairs/mods, that is all yo would need to know to get a beautiful clean maple board
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

thankyou. where is the sticky please?
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 03:13 PM

Is it maple or rosewood?

Is your bridge floating or not? Either way I wouldn't be afraid to remove all the strings, especially for cleaning the board, its much easier with no strings. If its a fixed bridge then no worries..
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 03:46 PM

Here is the link
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75764
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 03:56 PM

you need to send it to me, unfortunately proper cleaning takes time, several years in some cases
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 07:01 PM

I just cleaned my maple fretboard for the first time on a used RG470. Lighter fluid worked wonders!! It really does make it look like new. I couldn't believe it. The addition of using #0000 steel wool worked great.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 09:18 PM

something is bothering me about this, you guys say you use lighter fluid? like zippo lighter fluid, gas? doesnt your fretboard stink after that? god that smell never goes away.

also i would never use steel wool on a maple board, i would rather let it get dirty than sand it down and lose wood.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 11:33 PM
rdm

Steel Wool is cool as long as you don't get it or any of the metal shavings near your pups.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2008, 11:19 AM

Lighter fluid is not gas, and it evaporates fairly quickly, and doesn't leave your fretboard smelling like the fluid. The steel wool WILL NOT sand away any wood. It's not a sanding action, it's just simply cleaning.

You can use #0000 steel wool on any fretboard, maple, rosewood, ebony. It's gentle enough that you don't have to worry about any scratching. Just use it gently enough that you don't scratch the inlays.

Steel wool works magic on the frets.... #0000 only.

Last edited by Heavy Wood; 05-04-2008 at 11:45 AM.

Tags
fixed bridge , maple fret , maple fretboard , steel wool

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode