Cleaning/oiling fretboard - how to with strings ON? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Cleaning/oiling fretboard - how to with strings ON?

I recently bought a new Ibanez (RG2570Z) and unless my memory is failing me, I recall the manual saying to change strings one at a time to help neck/tuning stability.

Does that sounds right? Reasons I aks is that I was about to clean the frets/fretboard and then apply some Fret Doctor. Obviously that would be easier to do if all the strings were off but I do not want to compromise my current action.

Any suggestions or comments on this? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 06:05 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Cleaning/oiling fretboard - how to with strings ON?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmann View Post

I recently bought a new Ibanez (RG2570Z) and unless my memory is failing me, I recall the manual saying to change strings one at a time to help neck/tuning stability.

Does that sounds right? Reasons I aks is that I was about to clean the frets/fretboard and then apply some Fret Doctor. Obviously that would be easier to do if all the strings were off but I do not want to compromise my current action.

Any suggestions or comments on this? thanks
You can't really clean the fingerboard (well) unless you take all the strings off and while you can oil it with the strings on, it's a bit of a pain in the butt and you will (obviously) get oil all over your strings.

You won't hurt the neck in anyway by taking all the strings off for a short period (e.g. not years and year) of time. Will the neck flex a little when you take the strings off? Yes but it will also go re-flex when you put the strings back on.

In regards to tuning, it will be easier to get the guitar back in tune if you block the bridge (underneath the fine tuners) before you take all the strings off.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 09:56 PM

1. Block the trem
2. Loosen all your strings until they are flabby.
3. Stick wood dowel underneath 1st fret.

Presto!
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 04:14 AM

I'd like to add that I left an old Gibson Les Paul Studio in a shed without strings on for OVER A YEAR (consider the wildly varying temperatures and humidity levels in the UK), and it didn't do it any harm whatsoever. Still has an action a smidge over 1/16th.

Now there is obviously an argument that the neck was a plank anyway so it doesn't matter, and an Ibby neck is obviously a bit more fragile, but you get my point.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 01:28 PM

To really do a good job to clean and treat your fretboard, I don't see anyway that you can do it without the strings off.

With the strings on, you can apply oil to the fretboard and wipe off but it doesn't clean as effective.

I occasionally use Ernie Ball Fretboard Conditioner on my guitars and then wipe off, or apply some Lemon Oil to a cloth and wipe on to the fretboard underneath the strings.

But it really isn't as effective as removing the strings.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 12:25 AM

Yes, according to ibanez, it's best to change strings one at a time. This is correct, however it's also about the most impractical process in the world. How do you clean and oil your neck? How do you clean the dust and grime from between the pickups? You can't. The idea is that if you take the strings off all at once, there will be no tension on the bridge and it'll be a bit of a pain in the ass to get the guitar back in tune. It'll take you about 10 minutes atleast to get it stable again. However, if you just throw a 9v battery into the trem cavity so that the bridge is resting on the battery, this will keep your trem steady while you remove all the strings and do some housekeeping.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 01:05 PM

Cant you just loosen the strings, undo the springs on the trem. Remove the whole bridge (inc strings) clean then replace trem. I think the main reason Ibanez say to do it 1 by 1 is less neck stress, more time saved when tuning!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbones View Post
Cant you just loosen the strings, undo the springs on the trem. Remove the whole bridge (inc strings) clean then replace trem. I think the main reason Ibanez say to do it 1 by 1 is less neck stress, more time saved when tuning!
It's not so much about neck stress, it's about the time it'll take you to tune if you take the strings off all at once. By removing the bridge from the body, it's going to be an equally large pain in the ass to get yourself back in tune. Plus, you'll have to reinstall the trem.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Hell Broke Loose View Post
It's not so much about neck stress, it's about the time it'll take you to tune if you take the strings off all at once. By removing the bridge from the body, it's going to be an equally large pain in the ass to get yourself back in tune. Plus, you'll have to reinstall the trem.
assuming that the springs are in the same formation, and the strings are the same, then you should be pretty much there when you tune each string to the original tuning. It won't take 15 minutes like if you took all the strings off.

In theory at least.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbones View Post
In theory at least.
It works perfectly in real life as well, I always clean the fretboard that way:

Put it all back as it was and you're back in tune.

You can also undo the locking nut, if you've done that:

This is a bit more risky, as the posts may unwind by themselves slightly. But it does work.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:10 AM

I have also wondered if oiling the neck with the strings on will deaden the strings? I used to do this all the time and never had a problem. Just wondering, because I like to keep the rosewood necks moist...
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:35 AM

every time i restring (every 2-4 weeks) i block the trem and give the fretboard a good scrub. i just put a schweppes bottle lid under the trem (i have an EZ trem) and it keeps it almost 100% proper level. take off all the strings and have it.

so easy.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalgod72 View Post
I have also wondered if oiling the neck with the strings on will deaden the strings? I used to do this all the time and never had a problem. Just wondering, because I like to keep the rosewood necks moist...

It would probably make the strings a bit oily but that's about it!
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickbean View Post
It would probably make the strings a bit oily but that's about it!
every time after i play these days for a long period i run my finger along the whole string and get all the dirt off. helps you know.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:24 PM

Most enterprises use ERP systems for monitoring and analyzing data. However, one of the biggest advantages of managemart ERP-system is the ability to improve the efficiency of the company by monitoring key performance indicators of employees. Using the ERP system as a centralization object requires that enterprises use both financial and non-financial indicators to set goals.

Tags
cleaning/oiling fretboard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode