Cleaning your Prestige fretboard :) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Cleaning your Prestige fretboard :)

Hey guys,

I like to give my fretboard a little cleaning after changing strings. I read online that the preferred way to do this is to use 0000 steel wool and use this to remove accumulated grime from the frets and the board.

However I seem to have read on some Ibanez source that you can also use just a standard rubber eraser for this purpose. But I can't be precise now... obviously this is much easier to find than 0000 steel wool.
Anyone has used an eraser for this ?

In the end it will be finished with a little lemon oil on the board for 20 mins before wiping it out and putting on new strings!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 08:32 AM

Re: Cleaning your Prestige fretboard :)

Dude, staalwol is bijna in iedere supermarkt of ijzerwinkel te verkrijgen.
Werkt beter als gum of rubber want je komt ook in de nerf.

Ik werk meestal als volgt bij erg vieze vingerboards:

schoonmaken met wasbenzine op doek.
Opschuren met staalwol.
Nogmaals ontvetten met wasbenzine.(slaat wit uit)
drogen laten,of afblazen.
in de lemmon oil zetten totdat de toets niets meer absorbeert en de overvloedige olie afvegen.
is uiteraard sterk afhankelijk van de staat(lees droogte) van je fingerboard,kan in 10 minuten gebeurt zijn of een hele dag.

Succes.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Cool!!! Thanks
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 09:34 AM

hey guys, English is the rule here

did everyone here get that?

Dude, steel wool is available in almost all supermarkets
Works better than rubber

I work mostly as follows
clean with "washing gas" (lol) some spirit
scrub with steel wool
clean with that spirit
Let dry, or blow dry
apply lemon oil until it doesn't get absorbed anymore and wipe off the rest
let it alone
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 10:48 AM

Sorry mates,

Was at work.
Had to rush on this one,thats why it was in dutch.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 10:52 AM

Oddly enough I could read it...
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 11:41 AM

Reviews: 10

Spirits or similar will dry up the board, I wouldn't recommend that.

Easiest is you use a old slightly wet toothbrush on a dirty rosewood or ebony board. Spit (no kidding) works great, too. In a next step use a lightly damp piece of kitchen paper to rub off any remaining stains. You can also dab some lemon oil onto the kitchen paper and use that for cleaning.

Finally, dab some lemon oil on a new piece of paper and do 3-5 frets at a time, so the board just starts to look wet. Work through the fretboard. When done, wipe of the excess lemon oil from the part where you started applying it, and work your way through. Done. No rocket science. Just don't over-saturate the board, just enough so it's not thirsty for more.

Make sure to also check out Rich's tech section at ibanezrules.com.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I was reading through Rich's section yesterday but I was mainly looking for an alternative to using steel wool but since it's easier to get than I thought I might use steel wool after all, or the toothbrush trick.

Funny though while reading through Rich's tutorial he breaks it up into several sections and finishes all of them with "time for a cigarette before the next step"

This brings me to the fact that although one of my guitars is always in a case, the other one isn't (don't have another case yet) and it's sitting in the living room / kitchen combo, which also happens to be the place where:
- cigarette smoke will be around
- kitchen fumes will hang around
- bathroom steam after showers will creep into the room.

I suppose this aren't an issue anyway as long as you keep your window open sometimes during cooking and stuff and I'm sure guitars have been through worse (concerts in halls with staggering amounts of smoke) and survived!
I just try to keep my guitars looking as good as new and if possibly.. still smelling like wood when possible lol!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 01:08 PM

I bought a used ibby a while back. I was amazed at how dirty the fingerboard was, especially around the frets. Q-tips worked pretty good at scrapping the grime off, went thru about a dozen!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 01:30 PM

Reviews: 1

Guitar pick will scape off grime really well, then clean with old toothbrush. Clean board with 0000 sleel wool (hardware sore).Toothbrush again especially against the frets. Polish frets with steel wool. Lemon oil. Wipe off. Restring. Done. Steel wool only for rosewood or ebony.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 02:06 PM

Reviews: 4

De antwoorden zijn altijd al aanwezig. Has anyone been on rich's website?!?!?! he's like the god of ibanez setups!?!?! everything you need to know is there
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 04:08 PM

I think someone should point out that steel wool, while great for removing grime, should not be used too agressively or too frequently. Maybe once a year max. You'll see that a tiny amount of wood gets scraped off, even with 0000. It's only a tiny amount, but over time a tiny amount becomes a lot.

However, 0000 steel wool + lemon oil = like new.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 08:47 AM

Reviews: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieguitarmaker View Post
Oddly enough I could read it...
Lol, me too. But I'm also fluent in german so dutch isn't too much of a stretch!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 01:40 AM

From what I have read, lemon oil isn't very good for your fretboard. A while back, someone recommended that I use boiled lin seed oil, so I tried it.

I'll tell you what - I did it back in the spring of 2008 and I haven't done it since. I did it to four guitars: Ibanez RG3120, Ibanez RG550LTD, Ibanez Artstar and Gibson ES-175 (yeah, weird combination with the Ibanezes, but, I'm a Jazz guy, too! LOL) and each fretboard looks exactly as dark as it did the day I put the stuff on.

I actually ended up having this huge debate with some people about the issue (they used lemon oil) and so I looked up what all the major acoustic companies suggested.

Martin suggested lin seed oil, Taylor suggested lin seed oil, Gibson suggested lin seed oil and one of them (I can't remember which) even stated flat out that lemon oil is actually BAD for your fret board.

So, yeah, I'm a lin seed user. I've also heard (from the same person who suggested lin seed oil) that mineral oil is very good, too.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 04:57 AM

I use Fret Doctor that i drop on a cottonpad and just rub gently on the board. Digs out alot of dirt and restores the wood to it's natural look.

Tags
cleaning , fretboard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode