Coil-splitting on Ibanez ICT700 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Coil-splitting on Ibanez ICT700

Hello,
as this is my first post here I want to introduce myself: my name is Alex, I'm 23 years old (playing guitar since 9 years, but I'm not nearly as good as I should be, made many breaks...) and I'm living in Vienna, Austria.

Recently I bought a used Ibanez ICT700, my question is if it's possibly to install a push-pull pot and split the standard humbuckers it came with (DiMarzio D Activators). I think I could check this easily by looking at the wires coming from the PUs, but I really have no clue on what to look for exactly

Thank you very much, and please excuse my English!

Best regards,
Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 09:33 AM

Re: Coil-splitting on Ibanez ICT700

If the D Activators in ICT700s are exactly like the ones DiMarzio sells separately (and I wouldn't know why they shouldn't), they have four conductor wiring, meaning that it's possible to split them, for example with a push-pull pot.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Mine have "DiMarzio" written on the surface of the pickup, I think on the right bottom, black on black. The D Activator-X I purchased separately doesn't have this, so I wondered if the PUs that come with the guitar are the same as the ones they sell.

So if I take a look at the cables coming from the PUs and there are four wires coming out, they can be split?

Best regards,
Alex
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:44 AM

Basically, yes: there should a be wire (usually the red one) going to the toggle and a wire (bare/green) to 'earth', probably the back of the volume pot. The two extra wires needed for coil-splitting (black white) probably are soldered together and taped off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode