Color pickups on a 3120TW? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-20-2004, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Color pickups on a 3120TW?

Hey guys, i just got a blue 3120, and im gonna change the pickups... im almost set on a Air Norton / Steves Special pair (loved those in my basswood RG), but im open to suggestions since this is my 1st mahogany

but the reason of this thread is that i was thinking about going with cream pickups... or black/cream... i have it in my mind to have two black/cream pickups "mirrored", and cream/black strat-like knobs.... i "think" thatd be cool, but im not soooo sure...

i like the cream decals on the PGM10th, thats what kicked me.... im not so fond of the white pickups tho...

anyway, thanx for the incredible amount of info thats available here, and for being cool and helpful when i needed it in the past
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 12:31 AM

If you dont like the tz/paf pr combo and are set on changing pickups. I suggest keeping them the same colour, they match the hardware really well. If it were an rg2820 white or cream pickups might work, as the go with the binding. But any colour other than the blackk on the 3120 would seem off.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 07:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madness Here
If you dont like the tz/paf pr combo and are set on changing pickups. I suggest keeping them the same colour, they match the hardware really well. If it were an rg2820 white or cream pickups might work, as the go with the binding. But any colour other than the blackk on the 3120 would seem off.
I see... and i meant "PGM90"... i dont know why i said 10th... But youre right, the 90 is bound too...
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 08:22 AM

purple/pink pickups would look great!
check the JPM90. I saw pics of the same color sheme on a TB 2120x, very nice.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 11:27 AM
RCB

Blue pups if its a TW or red if its a DR, matching the colour of the body. The RG770DX used to come that way and looked very cool. May be a clear pickguard would fit in well, but Im not sure.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-21-2004, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianozz
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Madness Here
I see... and i meant "PGM90"... i dont know why i said 10th... But youre right, the 90 is bound too...
the pgm90's also have the white f holes to make the colour scheme work.

blue pups would be cool, but good like finding twilight blue pickups .
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 04:08 PM
Banned

actually the PGM90HAM has white-cream f-holes and bindings with white pickups. however, the difference of the color is very small...
I LOVE my PGM90HAM! !!!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 04:12 PM
Banned

i was too excited and totally forgot about the orginal topic...
i think the black/cream pickups would look great... i've always wanted to put black/cream pickups on one of my RGs. make sure you choose the right color combo though... like black/cream for neck and cream/black for bridge, or vice versa... whatever looks cool to you.
good luck... and plz post pics when you're done with it.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-22-2004, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanezer
i was too excited and totally forgot about the orginal topic...
i think the black/cream pickups would look great... i've always wanted to put black/cream pickups on one of my RGs. make sure you choose the right color combo though... like black/cream for neck and cream/black for bridge, or vice versa... whatever looks cool to you.
good luck... and plz post pics when you're done with it.
yes thats what i meant the cream fholes in the 90th... cream just seems to look good on stained blue maple... and yup, pics coming when im done ...

im having a hard time trying to find a dimarzio dealer that would get colored pickups... maybe ill just have to have someone in the US buy them for me... on top of that theres a "no return" policy here too thats making me take a while todecide if i take the plunge on the EVOs, or go for the trusty SS/AN combo....
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 12:31 AM

I think, IMHO, you cannot go wrong with the ZEBRAS (cream/black combo).
I think the TW will look very well w/ the zebras...or total cream
Just give a try
TubarãoGuitars
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 01:04 AM
Banned

zebras looks cool on a les paul...
it should looks even better on an RG
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

well ill be damned.... lol, if i order the pups from the local distributor, itll take up to 2/3 months... today i set the axe up (it was in pretty horrible shape) and im getting the hang of the TZ/PP combo... so... in the end i might just keep them

anyone tried those bobbin toppers things? are they like paper stickers, or something with more "body" to them? i mean, if im gonna do a zebra from a black pup, should i get just a cream one, or a black one too?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-24-2004, 04:40 PM
Banned

yer i think the TZ/PP is the best combination. definately keep them
for the stickers... i've seen someone did that b4 with black pickups. he just stick the cream on the originally black, didn't do the black
however... i think if you do the black too it would look better... at least it's "balance"? it's up to you... you can't tell the difference from a distance anways, unless you kiss the guitar
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-27-2004, 03:40 AM

Bobbin toppers are coool. Lov'em.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2004, 10:20 PM

Not sure if you are still having a hard time with getting the zebra pickups, but I have done lots of buiness with Mike as far as pickups go and he is quick and cheap when it comes to DiMarzios or SD's. Check out his website:
http://mikes-music-shop.com/parts.htm

He sells on ebay all the time and has a flat shipping fee for up to 7 pickups IIRC. He is a rep for a large chunk of the country so he can pretty much get anything you want in a short period of time. I don't get kickbacks or anything... just wanted to pass it on as I've had a good buying experience with him.

Hope that helps... look forward to seeing pics if you end up doing it.

Later,
Jeff

Quote:
im having a hard time trying to find a dimarzio dealer that would get colored pickups... maybe ill just have to have someone in the US buy them for me... on top of that theres a "no return" policy here too thats making me take a while todecide if i take the plunge on the EVOs, or go for the trusty SS/AN combo....

Tags
air norton , black pickups , bobbin toppers , les paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode