Coming back around to Ibanez guitars - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Coming back around to Ibanez guitars

Hi All:

Been reading, and thanks for the good info, I'm new here and have a few questions. I played Ibanez back when I was starting out (my 1st electric was a silver cadet), and I think I also had an AX model for double humbuckers stuff that my strat couldn't do. A strage thing happened, I went play a few axes and found myself preferring guitars with slimmer necks (Ibanez and Jackson) to the stuff I've played for years (Fenders). I'm in the market for a new guitar in a few months (probably summer time) And I finally have the means to get something really nice, and looking at what you get for your money, Ibanez Prestige guitars are a pretty good value when you compare them to some other high quality (and high price) guitars.

the models I'm considering are:

RG3120
S1620FB
JS1000 or JS2000

I'm trying to keep this as close to $1,000 to $1,200 as I like the RG3120, but I've heard some bad things about the new trem system, so that got me thinking about the S1620 with the ZR trem, The JS models are cool, but I'm not big on playing someone else's guitar if you know what I mean (That guys a Satch freak, he plays the sig model) but I've always loved his tone. I suppose I could mod the pickups maybe put a coil splitter in one of the other models if I gelt like it. My main concern is the trem, I don't want to have to do major repairs in 5 years on this thing.

I guess I'm also looking for max versitility, this will be my #1 guitar for quiet sometime, and I need it to do alot. My styles are anything from classic rock to modern rock (not nu metal) and anything else I feel like playing at a particular momemt. Let me know your thoughts, and thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 09:04 PM

I owned a RG-570 back in the mid 90's and have played and owned alot of guitars since. Started falling for all the hipe surrounding Custom Shop Fenders and PRS guitars, both of which are great in their own right but very expensive. After forking out MEGA bucks on a CS Fender 60's Relic and various Gibson Flying V's I was just about to pull the trigger on a PRS Custom 24 when I came across an Ibanez jem in GC, played the guitar and it motivated me to seriously start considering Ibanez again. Sold all my guitars when I found a Mint condition used RG3120 in transparent red and have not had a moments regret!

What a great guitar!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2004, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

yeah, those prestige RG's are pretty cool, I read in another post about the RG2020, it has a 5 pc maple neck , super cool. Oh well, now time to save the $$$$$$
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 03:53 PM

last spring I was looking for a new guitar and was concidering the very same guitars you are. I ended up with the 3120 and Im very happy.

As for the new trem, according to rich, only the first few runs hade problems, but they're mostly resolved. I don't want to put words in his mouth, so you should consult him.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 05:13 PM

Welcome to Jemsite, and back to Ibanez. As far as the newer Edge Pro, Rich has thorough review of performance and solutions to issues:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/namm/2003/trems.htm#REVIEW

I don't think you could go too wrong with any of the three choices mentioned...try to play them all and deceide based on feel anf tone. The bodies and necks may help you decide. The 3120 is a great guitar...if you want the Lo Pro, just look out for a used pre-03 on the classifieds here and elswhere. All the best.
Greg
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2004, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Yeah it creeped me out at first. I've always gone straight for a tele, strat, or LP when I'm goofing off in the music store or something. I guess its just tought to shake 13 years of habits. Probably also the fact that I'm taking lessons again after like 8 years, helping me break some bad habits and develop my playing back to a respectable level. I played a neck on a JS 100 that just felt great, but its a JS100, maybe if they have some cool colors, besides black and gold I could overlook the sig model thing. I hate to say it but the playing everything and looking around is my favorite part of buying a new guitar, when else can you have a really good excuse to spend like 2 hours playing every guitar in sight on Saturday? Not to mention when you find that one axe that feels perfect in your hands...ain't nothin' better.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 06:03 PM

I, too have recently picked up some Ibby's. I've been playing Woflgangs for about two years straight but I wanted something with an Edge Trem on it. Those things are the best Floyd's out there even though I don't even really consider them FLoyd's. I like to give them their own class. Anyway, I bought a USA Custom UCEW1QM that was nice and most recently a USRG30 which has remnants of a Jem in its timbre. Must be the Alder body. Unfortunately, I really can't stand the sound of the Jems. So for now, I'll have to give up Ibanez and stick with my Wolfies. Maybe down the road I'll look at one of the new Prestige RG's. The RGT2020SOL looks nice !!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 08:11 PM

The interesting thing about the rg3120 & rgt3120 series is that, the body is mahogany with a flamed maple cap. That is something that blew me away when I started looking into Ibanez again. If you get a chance to play a 3120 you might notice the difference, basswood bodies sound different to me, I prefer mahaogany bodies with a maple cap. Also, the pickups are great and allow the guitar to rock or quack like a strat.

The jem series guitar that I have been fortunate enough to play, had excellent playability and one thing that really impressed me was the quality of workmanship (especially the frets). I was all set to purchase a jem until I discovered this bulliten board and read about the 3120 and USA series. I also had a chance to play the JS1000 and it is a fantastic buy, I attempted to trade for one at GC and they were trying to lowball me on a brand new Gibson Flying V that I was willing to trade. Anyhow... I lucked out and found a mint 3120 and I am enjoying it!

Hoping to snag a new JSX head when they come out in april, should be interesting!

:
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2004, 08:12 PM

sorry, double post.

Tags
alder body , basswood bodies , coil split , custom shop , edge trem , flamed maple , ibanez jem , jsx head , maple neck , music store , prestige guitar , prestige guitars , prs guitar , prs guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode