Compromises and Temperments - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2011, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Compromises and Temperments

Its late and I just got done tuning one of my RG's. I dont like to spend a lot of time doing this. I would rather put a lot of time in to a setup so it doesnt take me long to get to where im going in the tuning department. But every once in a while I like to see how accurate I can get.

Does anyone use thier own special tricks in the tuning department? As an example, I always tune my low E string to ring a perfect G 2 note power chord. (E and A, 3rd and 5th fret respectively.)

This gets me a chord with no beat frequencies. As I go up the neck with this power chord it doesnt ring as perfect as the G chord but I find if I tune it to any other chord then all chords on those two strings wont sound as in tune. I have VERY sensitive ears so some people may not even hear what I do.....

I intonate at the 24rth and use a peterson stroboflip as part of my setup.

Anyone else deal with compromises, any hair pulling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 06:46 AM

Re: Compromises and Temperments

Yes, I go through the same thing. I have a very good ear and I can get tooo picky sometimes and drive myself nuts getting the tuning to a point that I can live with. The higher you go on the neck the less accurate things get. I intonate at the 12th fret because I don't play chords any higher than that, well if I do they are only two notes for the most part. I test my tuning with an open G chord and open D chord. A lot of the wavering or discontent with the tuning can be easily found in those two chords. When I tune, I do it by ear, I always have. I use a tuning fork for the A440. Then I play the E and A string open together to tune the Low E string. Then open A and open D together, open D and G together. When I get to the B string I fret the G string at the 3rd fret and the B string on the 6th fret to get a 5th. And last I strike the B and G strings open. After that once and a while I'll check octaves up the neck a bit to see if things are off. I intonate using open string, 12th fret harmonics followed by 12th fret pressed down lightly to see if all three match. I've tried different things over the years, but I find this works well for me.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 08:41 AM Thread Starter

Everybody tunes different, but they should. Everyone has different finger pressure and fingering techniques. Tuning should be set to preference according to those and other factors.
I think the real point to this thread is to show someone that may not realize how much of a compromise the guitar is, even when its perfectly setup......

I tune my 2 note power chords on the E and A and the A and D so they ring tru. Then I tune the G string to an A chord. Its not awesome when played open, lol...but when played with power chords or other jazzier chords it sounds good. I tune my B on the 3rd fret to the D on the 5th fret and the high E open to the B open......

I use my tuner to get me in the area but do the rest by ear as mentioned above. My daughter is a violinist and she is always working on her fingering for intonation reasons. Now I know they are different animals but I have been working on my techniques to get better tuning out of chords......its worked out great....
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 08:46 AM

i tune my a string, then do the whole 5th fret to open string, etc all the way across the board, check it with a quick few open chords, then usually go back and the the harmonics 5th and 7th on the string above, then open chord check again. thats usually enough for me. ive got a pretty good ear for tunings, but not sensitive, so if the resonances etc arent perfect, i dnt really hear that - only if 2 notes are not quite the same!

then on goes the distortion and away we go!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 08:49 AM

I've ben teaching myself violin and hitting the pitches on the money is something that requires work over time.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2011, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
I've ben teaching myself violin and hitting the pitches on the money is something that requires work over time.
Like the volume knob, practicing hitting the right pitch on chords looks like a lost art.

You should give the 24rth fret intonating method a try. I was surprised at how well it pulled all of my lower chords together. All of my chords from the open to the 12th sound way more in tune now. All Octave chords above the 12th sound freaking great too....

Intonating this way is much harder as Rich has explained and you need to make sure the finger pressure you use on the 24rth is matched on every string. However I love it and wont intonated any other way....

Tags
tuning

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode