Concerned about my SZ Fretboard - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 03:55 AM Thread Starter

Re: Concerned about my SZ Fretboard

Thanks alot guys, i'll get some Lemon Oil to that fret board as soon as i can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 11:02 PM

I wld suggest you get some bore oil that classical woodwind players use and apply light coats, you dun want to wet the fretboard. Too much oil can dampen the tone.
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 01:25 AM

you can also try wood conditioner.

post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 01:31 AM

bore oil is suppose to be really good stuff too, but some lemon oil should work fine . I have heard a lot about bore oil though , i think i'll have to try some.
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 05:01 AM

Again i say, try bore oil... you wont regret it!
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 01:12 PM

Rosewood never really dries out, it can't, it's too oily. Ask anyone that has heated the frets on a rosewood fingerboard during the course of removing them--rosewood is extremely oily. While it's true that the most preferred types of rosewood are dark, like Brazilian, some of the other sources for rosewood produce varieties that are naturally light in color, Indian rosewood comes in all kinds of colors for example, often with multi-colored streaks. The rosewood fingerboard on my Elitist Les Paul is very light in color and it was specially selected at the factory.

Dan Erlewine has voiced the opinion that the belief in rosewood fingerboards drying out is largely a myth.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 06:49 AM

Are you GuitslingerTim in HC?
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 09:43 PM

Talking Re: Concerned about my SZ Fretboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspace
Are you GuitslingerTim in HC?
Thaz me.
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 09:47 PM

myth or otherwise, my 11-year old rosewood fretboard did dry up.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germX
myth or otherwise, my 11-year old rosewood fretboard did dry up.
I'm interested in hearing the details. I have an indian rosewood fingerboard on a padauk neck that warped rather strangely with one corner of the fingerboard that extends out past the frets having curled downward like a bent finger. I can't say what caused it though.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 01:49 AM

Hmm is light rosewood bad? To the best of my knowledge light rosewood usually is the crap cracked stuff from what I've seen but it does not mean that it is all bad.

Rosewood gets darker oiled too!
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 12:41 AM

I just registered for this forum because i was concerned about a jp i just bought. So the light color in this is probably just due to variation in rosewood color? I did put lemon oil on it, but it didn't darken. I wonder if Ibanez dyes the rosewood fretboards to hide flaws or to try to alter the look?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JPMs.jpg (17.2 KB, 0 views)
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 01:06 AM

Reviews: 2

Don't worry about the color sweeper.... It's VERY common to have a lighter rosewood fretboard. the variation in color from tree to tree would amaze you!!! If you keep it oiled properly your board will last forever.

BTW... the color has NO affect on tone or playability because the density of the wood is the same across the color spectrum.........

For reference I'm showing how different rosewood can look from the same tree..... you can see everything from deep dark brown to bright red to cream color....

post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 01:49 AM

Wow look at that. Is it strange that most of the fretboards are the same shade, even though there can be such drastic variations? Do they dye them? Thank you RGT. It's just interesting to see such differences from one guitar to the next (in my pic).

Tags
dan erlewine , fret board , les paul , local music store , music store , rosewood board , rosewood boards , rosewood fingerboard , rosewood fretboard , rosewood fretboards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode