Concerned about my SZ Fretboard - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Concerned about my SZ Fretboard

Recently i was discussing guitars with a friend of mine and i showed him some photos of my guitar, the first thing he remarked on was the uber lightness of the cut of rose wood on my fretboard and how thats a bad thing and a darker fretboard signifies a better cut and apparently that sounds better.
Now forgive my knowledge because i am still learning about these sorts of things but he showed me a picture of his SZ (same model as mine exactly) and his fretboard was way way way darker than mine.

Is this a problem?
Is it possibly a manufacturing defect.

Should i be concerned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 03:02 AM

Re: Concerned about my SZ Fretboard

Maybe you can post your picture? Or you want to check in Harmony Central? There's a good thread on SZ series... Alot help in there...
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

I'm chargin the battery for the digital camera i'll post a picture soon.
post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 04:08 AM

No, nothing wrong with it at all. Dont listen to your friend. Its possibly just a lighter shade of rosewood. Remember this, all woods have different colours and shades, so dont go thinking there is anything wrong with your fretboard. Because there isnt.

If you want to get it a little darker, put some Lem Oil on the fretboard. Easy to get hold of, its cheap, and all you have to do is rub it on. That should darken it up somewhat.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks,

I'm just new to this kinda stuff heh... So i need to question just about everything. I"m learning tho.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 05:49 AM

after we see your fretboard pic, maybe we'll tell you if it needs reconditioning. the paleness might be due to it being dry- perfectly normal reaction to temperature.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germX
after we see your fretboard pic, maybe we'll tell you if it needs reconditioning. the paleness might be due to it being dry- perfectly normal reaction to temperature.
+1 its probably just that fretboard is slightly dry. Rosewood comes in colours ranging from an ebony style black, to a dark reddish brown, to a whiteish brown. Don't believe that rubbish your friend is telling you.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 07:31 PM

bro- any chance of seeing the fretboard up close? looks like a pre-2005 SZ520 you got there...
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.godfather
No, nothing wrong with it at all. Dont listen to your friend. Its possibly just a lighter shade of rosewood. Remember this, all woods have different colours and shades, so dont go thinking there is anything wrong with your fretboard. Because there isnt.

If you want to get it a little darker, put some Lem Oil on the fretboard. Easy to get hold of, its cheap, and all you have to do is rub it on. That should darken it up somewhat.
I read lemon oil ends up drying up the wood, and bore oil is what should be used on rosewood boards...

I put bore oil on mine, and they are the shizz!!!!
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-14-2006, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by germX
bro- any chance of seeing the fretboard up close? looks like a pre-2005 SZ520 you got there...
Interesting, i wondered why the other SZ's people i knew had had Duncan/ibanez written on the pickups etc.
I only got this guitar 4-5months ago.

is this picture sufficient?
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 12:08 AM

you need some lemon oil on that thing bad. the fret board is really dry
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Looks like i learnt something useful here even tho my suspicions based on someone elses oppinion were wrong.

Where can i get Lemon Oil from? Music Store? or is it a pretty generic item?
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 12:56 AM

yep your local music store should have some . it will feel a lot better when you play , bends and slids should seem a lot smoother and more natural
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 01:31 AM

Reviews: 7

That fretboard does need some oil, but your friend is wrong. Rosewood can vary in shade greatly from one board to the next. Darker means better??? since when? I have a beautiful rosewood fretboard on one of my guitars that is fairly light, but because of that it shows lots of its beautiful grain. And most of the lower quality rosewood fretboards are darker to hide thier lack of quality grain, I know because I have low and high end guitars and the higher end the guitar the brighter that rosewood and you can see more of its grain and character.

Tags
dan erlewine , fret board , les paul , local music store , music store , rosewood board , rosewood boards , rosewood fingerboard , rosewood fretboard , rosewood fretboards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode