Conklin 8 String/Extended Range Guitars - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Conklin 8 String/Extended Range Guitars

OK!

So I've been swapping emails with Bill all week and more or less have it down to what I'm going to get.

Simply put:

5pc neck, bubinga/wenge, brazilian rosewood fingerboard (I prefer rosewood to ebony), mahog body, cocobolo top, 2 hums (custom Duncans, JB bridge, Jazz neck), 3 way with split wired in the middle, RMC MIDI pickup (always wanted a syth controler ), not sure in inlays, maybe none, I'm not a big inlay guy anyway; probably just dots on the side, fanned frets, etc.

You get the picture.

Anyway, what I'm asking you guys to do (other than give me some feedback) is to put me in touch with anyone you might know with a Conklin just so I can get some feedback as far as construction, playability and what it feels like to play those crazy fanned frets.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 06:41 PM

If you get in touch with "perpetualburn" from here he should be able to let you know - he has an 8 string 36 fanned fret monster

-better shred than dead-ANDY
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 06:44 PM

you rang?

first time ive posted in a while... lol, well all i can say is, i have a conklin 8 string, and its quite a suberb instrument, perfect intonation dispite fanned frets across 8 strings and 36 frets, rock solid build, insane cavity shielding, the most absurd quilt body ever (solid quite AAAAA body sides) its great stuff, cant fault it.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 06:56 PM

Contact Rusty Cooley!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsharp777
Contact Rusty Cooley!
I did, he's been real helpful.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2004, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Re: you rang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualBurn
first time ive posted in a while... lol, well all i can say is, i have a conklin 8 string, and its quite a suberb instrument, perfect intonation dispite fanned frets across 8 strings and 36 frets, rock solid build, insane cavity shielding, the most absurd quilt body ever (solid quite AAAAA body sides) its great stuff, cant fault it.
Would it be too much trouble for you to take some high-res detailed pictures of it and email them to me?

The more the better.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 09:51 AM

Pics of PerpetualBurn's Conklin can be found in this thread:

http://www.jemsite.com/phpbb/viewtop...hlight=conklin

That thing still blows my mind.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-26-2004, 12:04 PM

I still wonder why Marshall actually sold it
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-29-2004, 08:47 PM

marshall said something about it not being worth what he paid for it, and maybe for $6-7000 list, i can see that, but i paid about $3000, and its worth every dollar! incredible guitar, amazing workmanship, perfect intonation, 1000s of tones, plays great, responds to everything, its crazy stuff, i dont know why he sold it, but he also sold his MESA roadking which i bought aswell, maybe he was having an overhaul.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 04:25 AM Thread Starter

Anyway I could get you to take a bunch of really high resolution pics of it?

Just so I can see the detail.

I saw the other ones, those are great pics, but I want more!!

Looks like the first week in April I'll be taking a road trip up to Springfield to visit with Bill Conklin himself and play all his guitars. He said if I decide to go ahead and order one, I can pick out the woods for it while I'm there (assuming he has'em).

Should be fun.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2004, 07:20 PM

im afriad i dont even have a higher resolution digital camera that could take better photos than those, i didnt even take those photos, they were taken by marshall and sent to me when i wanted to see more photos... i could take photos of specific areas for you, but they wouldnt be any better quality...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 01:05 PM

Rob,

How's the playabilityup at the top of the neck? and did you ever get those sound clips recorded you were talking about? thanks!

-D
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 01:37 PM

im still being a lazyass about recording anything! but ive got a few ideas i need to get down pretty soon, some slap stuff, a wierd indian melody, and some chordal stuff, so when its done ill let ya know.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 01:38 PM

as for the top of the neck... the cutaway is right down at the 36th fret... so access is absurdly easy, plays like butter, past the 28th odd fret tho, its a bit usless as u need to use nails to play the notes, having said that, i dont play that high up anyways.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-03-2004, 06:12 PM

Beatiful guitar, by the way. But as a sidebar, it needs to switch to narrower frets for the upper octave or so. I noticed how "jumbo" they were all the way up the neck. I've seen some guitarmakers switch at the 12th fret. I thought that would be cool but the feel is so different that it would be awkward. But once you get around the 21st fret it needs something, like the way the Jems are scalloped. With narrow banjo or mandolin width frets you'd have more playability up there. Although I don't think I'd be up there either. I'd rather "digitech whammy" up to those dog whistle notes than have to actually fret them!

Tags
digitech whammy , fanned fret , fanned frets , rosewood fingerboard , rusty cooley

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode