Considering a purchase on this RG550...need help!! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Hey everyone!!! I am currently in need of a versatile guitar with a fast thin neck that i could play and literally carry around with me anywhere, many have recommended me with Ibanez RG’s (i always prefer superstrats over anything). I am very new to the ibanez world and had only played an RG2550z and RG350, and i am in love with their necks (i have a very short fingers).

After a lot of browsing and understanding the “Golden Era” of ibanez i think I’m going to buy a vintage RG550.

A vintage “Golden Era” RG550 is actually quite rare in indonesia, especially in mint condition, the price for the super beat up is around $300USD, and to be honest, I haven’t found even one made in the 80’s.

So after sometimes, i found this 1991 RG550 that had been modified, 85% physical state with some paint chips, and i believe it is a deluxe or DX due to its lo-pro trem system and mirror pickguard..please CMIIW!!....it costs at $560USD

And here are the mods on the guitar:
- Pickup changed to:
Neck: Seymour Duncan SH-1 59 model
Middle: Seymour Duncan SDBR Duckbuckers
Bridge: Seymour Duncan SH-12 Zebra George Lynch Screamin Demon model
- Refreted with Jescar FS 57110-s
- Ernie ball 5 way strat switch
- Ernie ball 500k potensio meter (Volume)
- And 2 toggle switch for coil splits and etc

It came with a hardcase, and there seemed no visible cracks at the bolts in the neck. I checked its serial number and it was made in fujigen-plant in 1991

So my questions are:
- is this guitar worth buying? If not, what are your recommendations?
- how is this one compared to a 2018 prestige RG2550z or a premium RG1070pbz? (I know it is in a different price point, but i am willing to spent more if it’s that worth it)

Thank you everyone!! I am truly sorry for the long post and large pictures. Cheers!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 888C0803-EBC4-4604-A07A-0A87DE62CB6E_1553724019660.jpeg (88.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: png 4F00CFD2-8038-48FF-9164-8EDC2F4E72E1_1553724031839.png (4.30 MB, 19 views)

Last edited by Dario Marco; 03-27-2019 at 06:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Edit: it's made in 1991
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:01 AM

Reviews: 21
Re: Considering a purchase on this RG550...need help!!

That's a sweet guitar for sure! Honestly my biggest concern with a late 80's or early 90's RG like that would be that the neck is in good shape and straight. Purists will burn on me but IMO the modern five-piece neck is better, especially after all Prestige RG's became super wizard in 2007 or 2008 I believe.
Honestly, I'm not sure on availability or pricing in Indonesia but you can't go wrong with a late 90's or early 00's RG with a bubinga stripe super wizard. Here in the states they sell dirt cheap. The downside is they weren't made in those cool 80's colors.
The new Genesis line is great too but I'm not sure how those are priced there, new or used.
Good luck!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike570 View Post
That's a sweet guitar for sure! Honestly my biggest concern with a late 80's or early 90's RG like that would be that the neck is in good shape and straight. Purists will burn on me but IMO the modern five-piece neck is better, especially after all Prestige RG's became super wizard in 2007 or 2008 I believe.
Honestly, I'm not sure on availability or pricing in Indonesia but you can't go wrong with a late 90's or early 00's RG with a bubinga stripe super wizard. Here in the states they sell dirt cheap. The downside is they weren't made in those cool 80's colors.
The new Genesis line is great too but I'm not sure how those are priced there, new or used.
Good luck!
Hi mike, thanks alot for your reply 🙂
I know right?? I am actually into this neon purple 80s vibe ibanez lol. Yea speakin of the neck, I’m actually quite concern with it, whether it’s still straight or slightly bent. I’m actually very interested in newer version of the RG550’s but from what i heard, people had been stating that their quality is not as great as the vintage ones, even some said it’s getting worse lol...

In my country, it is quite difficult to find vintage guitars, there are literally collectors everywhere hunting for sweet vintage guitars, not only ibanez but other brands as well. TBH i never saw an RG550 with a babinga stripe in the market. The newest RG550 genesis were mostly priced at $800USD here in Indonesia.

So what do you think? Should i grab it?? Lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode