Hey everyone!!! I am currently in need of a versatile guitar with a fast thin neck that i could play and literally carry around with me anywhere, many have recommended me with Ibanez RG’s (i always prefer superstrats over anything). I am very new to the ibanez world and had only played an RG2550z and RG350, and i am in love with their necks (i have a very short fingers).
After a lot of browsing and understanding the “Golden Era” of ibanez i think I’m going to buy a vintage RG550.
A vintage “Golden Era” RG550 is actually quite rare in indonesia, especially in mint condition, the price for the super beat up is around $300USD, and to be honest, I haven’t found even one made in the 80’s.
So after sometimes, i found this 1991 RG550 that had been modified, 85% physical state with some paint chips, and i believe it is a deluxe or DX due to its lo-pro trem system and mirror pickguard..please CMIIW!!....it costs at $560USD
And here are the mods on the guitar:
- Pickup changed to:
Neck: Seymour Duncan SH-1 59 model
Middle: Seymour Duncan SDBR Duckbuckers
Bridge: Seymour Duncan SH-12 Zebra George Lynch Screamin Demon model
- Refreted with Jescar FS 57110-s
- Ernie ball 5 way strat switch
- Ernie ball 500k potensio meter (Volume)
- And 2 toggle switch for coil splits and etc
It came with a hardcase, and there seemed no visible cracks at the bolts in the neck. I checked its serial number and it was made in fujigen-plant in 1991
So my questions are:
- is this guitar worth buying? If not, what are your recommendations?
- how is this one compared to a 2018 prestige RG2550z or a premium RG1070pbz? (I know it is in a different price point, but i am willing to spent more if it’s that worth it)
Thank you everyone!! I am truly sorry for the long post and large pictures. Cheers!!
Last edited by Dario Marco; 03-27-2019 at 06:36 PM.