Convince me to buy a seven stringer. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Arrow Convince me to buy a seven stringer.

I was shopping for a RG321, but the store only had a RG7321. The neck of the 7321 seemed to be more like the Prestige quality even though it was made in Indonesia. The other Indonesian guitar's necks were just ok, 3 piece instead of 5.

I played the 7321 for 30 minutes and loved the thing, but the extra string really threw me off at first. Open chords are a whole new thing, but the low notes just kill.

If it were your only guitar would you get a 7?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 01:16 PM

Re: Convince me to buy a seven stringer.

I don't know about my ONLY guitar...i would still get a 6. But even as some-one who is completely crap at the guitar...i must admit, that a 7 string is a lot of fun
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 02:10 PM

My only guitar is a sevenstring. I've got an older Korean made RG7321 - but I've yet to be let down by any RG7321, whether Korean or Indonesian. And I've tried my fair share of Indonesian-mades as well. They're all mint, apparently.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 02:49 PM

the only reason i even own a 6 string, is because I plan to teach guitar soon, and 7 string REALLY throws people off, esp new learners.. Other than that (and lack of hollowbody 7s) I wouldnt ever play 6 strings again.. Everything you can do on a 6 string, you can do on a 7 + more.

First 7 i played was a RG7321 and they are great, Maybe even abit more stable than the RG76xx's I own maybe, but thats because I prefer Wizard 2s. Either way, RG7321 is a great guitar if you can get it cheap.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 05:51 PM
ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando Clean View Post
I played the 7321 for 30 minutes and loved the thing, but the extra string really threw me off at first. Open chords are a whole new thing, but the low notes just kill.

If it were your only guitar would you get a 7?
The first part of the quote is something you will hear from virtually every person who owns a 7 string. We all loved it at first sight, and merely had to get used to the extra string.

If it helps you at all, the extra string shouldn't "throw you", because you already know how to use it. Any standard tuned 6 has a high B and high E. Just move the relationship to the bass side of the fretboard.

All your scales flow from the low E to the low B just as they do on the higher strings.

As for your only guitar, that's something you will have to decide. When I moved to 7s in 1993, I still kept a 6 around for about a year. Then I was exclusively 7s for several years. Now I have a 6 again, and I love that guitar in addition to my 4 7s.

The reality is you're unlikely to have just one guitar, so why not get the 7 and continue looking for that 321?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2007, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all. I know how to use the extra string. However, I am heavy into chording and not just barre chords. I wonder if I'll be muting the 7th string all the time. On the other hand you all are very convincing.

I'll go back and play it again. If it were the same build quality same price 6 stringer, I would have bought it already.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 10:19 AM

I have 3 beautiful USA custom shop 6 stingers (2 GMW's and a Jackson Soloist)and a Carvin DC727C 7 string.
I play the Carvin about 95% of the time I play now. It took me about a week to really get comfortable and used to having the extra string, now I love it.
I don't know if I could ever not have a 7.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brando Clean View Post
Thanks all. I know how to use the extra string. However, I am heavy into chording and not just barre chords. I wonder if I'll be muting the 7th string all the time. On the other hand you all are very convincing.
Honestly it's not a problem in practice. I play sevens exclusively and can tell you from experience it becomes second nature in a week tops. The low B also adds more chordal possibilites...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2007, 10:27 AM

Get a 7621

Tags
custom shop , higher strings , jackson soloist , usa custom shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode