Cool and different J customs? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 540
Cool and different J customs?

Hopefully, I'll have a new J custom by the end of the summer. Whats something different from the basic flame top + vine inlay? I would love an ART1, but I doubt I would be able to find one. What are some different and more readily available J customs? A ballpark price estimate would also be great since I'm trying to plan my spending (Gotta stretch that summer job money
Phishphood42 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 06:48 PM
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,108
Re: Cool and different J customs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishphood42 View Post
Hopefully, I'll have a new J custom by the end of the summer. Whats something different from the basic flame top + vine inlay? I would love an ART1, but I doubt I would be able to find one. What are some different and more readily available J customs? A ballpark price estimate would also be great since I'm trying to plan my spending (Gotta stretch that summer job money
haha I'm doing the same thing, just i've been having problems decide between a Jc or a custom jem or maybe a nice new shiny jsx head amp.
newbieguitarmaker is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 540
Cool Re: Cool and different J customs?

Haha, here's a nice one. Gotta keep your pimp hand strong

Phishphood42 is offline  
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 07:02 PM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 717
Re: Cool and different J customs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishphood42 View Post
Hopefully, I'll have a new J custom by the end of the summer. Whats something different from the basic flame top + vine inlay? I would love an ART1, but I doubt I would be able to find one. What are some different and more readily available J customs? A ballpark price estimate would also be great since I'm trying to plan my spending (Gotta stretch that summer job money
Cool/different & readily available are at two opposite ends of the JC spectrum unfortunately.

Though most/all JCs are COOL anyway
voodoo_child is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 540
Re: Cool and different J customs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo_child View Post
Cool/different & readily available are at two opposite ends of the JC spectrum unfortunately.

Though most/all JCs are COOL anyway
I'm not expecting something thats easy to find, just not impossible like an ART
Phishphood42 is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 07:12 PM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 717
Re: Cool and different J customs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishphood42 View Post
I'm not expecting something thats easy to find, just not impossible like an ART
RG-ART would be one of the easier to find 'rare' J-Customs. Most of the really cool ones are store specials with runs of maybe 5 or 6, plenty of which won't have even left Japan.
voodoo_child is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 540
Re: Cool and different J customs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo_child View Post
RG-ART would be one of the easier to find 'rare' J-Customs. Most of the really cool ones are store specials with runs of maybe 5 or 6, plenty of which won't have even left Japan.
Thats true, that GOLD was like 1/2. Anyway, if I can find an ART I'll grab it, but if I can't what are some good alternatives?
Phishphood42 is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 07:24 PM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 717
Re: Cool and different J customs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishphood42 View Post
Thats true, that GOLD was like 1/2. Anyway, if I can find an ART I'll grab it, but if I can't what are some good alternatives?
Depends on how set you are on getting something different. I have a couple of JCs (including an ART), and I don't think you can go wrong with a 8570 or 8520. Cheaper, more common and less desireable than the 8670, but an absolutely smoking player. Guys pass them up because they don't have the vine or the ebony, but my 2 8520s are some of the best players I have.
voodoo_child is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 540
Re: Cool and different J customs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo_child View Post
Depends on how set you are on getting something different. I have a couple of JCs (including an ART), and I don't think you can go wrong with a 8570 or 8520. Cheaper, more common and less desireable than the 8670, but an absolutely smoking player. Guys pass them up because they don't have the vine or the ebony, but my 2 8520s are some of the best players I have.
I already have an 8270, so I don't really want anything in the 8670 line.
Phishphood42 is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 07:27 PM
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 717
Re: Cool and different J customs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishphood42 View Post
I already have an 8270, so I don't really want anything in the 8670 line.
Ok, i see why you're looking for something different.

Well, just snap up whatever you can find then
voodoo_child is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 540
Re: Cool and different J customs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo_child View Post
Ok, i see why you're looking for something different.

Well, just snap up whatever you can find then
Yeah, I check Rich's used page religiously. I considered the JCS21 for a second but I can't get into the worn gold finish. If it was just an all gold top I would be all over it.

More guitar porn



Its probably a heavy mofo with all that maple though
Phishphood42 is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 06:23 AM
 
zEr0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 1,244
Re: Cool and different J customs?

Here's my RG METAL 1. One of twelve I believe and the best instrument I've ever held in my hands (better than my JS10th).



Some guy over here is also selling this beauty:



but for 1600 euros I think I'll let it pass.

I just love the old "cooler" JC's, they all had an edge to it that other models didn't. Now it's all rosewood boards on mahogany bodies........
zEr0 is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 08:18 AM
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Switzerland
Posts: 358
Re: Cool and different J customs?

Consider the RG Gear!!
I have one and it's absoloutely fantastic!!
The FRED in the neck is great...

And it's a beautiful one when you see it for real!
casper777 is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 08:39 AM
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: South Wales,U.K.
Posts: 1,019
Re: Cool and different J customs?

Yeah,i think the RG Gear is one of the coolest JC's they did.It's really unique i think.
I also love those really bright RG Paint 1's but there's not too many of those around either.
There was one of those RG Golds exactly the same as that one in a guitar store here in the UK for years.They just couldn't shift it.It's not my kinda' thing at all.
As for the Satin Gold hardware,it's the only gold hardware finish i actually like.
JTM45 is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 540
Re: Cool and different J customs?

I want this one, but its gotta be a one off

Phishphood42 is offline  
Reply

Tags
custom jem , ebony board , jsx head , mahogany body , rosewood board , rosewood boards

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome