Cool Guitar with a CRAP Inlay. Advice for MTM1 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Cool Guitar with a CRAP Inlay. Advice for MTM1

Hey all. I got a guy who NEEDS to get rid of an MTM1 for a GREAT price. A price that I dont know if I can pass up..

I like the features, it would make a COOL downtuning guitar. I like the double locking bridge for tuning stability!

Anyhow. I hate the inlay, and I really like to have dots on the fretboard.

Any suggestions?!? Is there any solutions for a guy to maybe put some thin Vinyl, or do SOMETHING to remedy that ugly seven and get some dots on there?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 10:35 PM

Re: Cool Guitar with a CRAP Inlay. Advice for MTM1

Well, you could get the fretboard replaced. But it would probably eat up the money you saved on your great price. Vinyl large enough to cover up that inlay would probably kill the feel of the neck. You could always buy it cheap then resell it higher and buy something you like from the start.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 10:37 PM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini8026 View Post
Anyhow. I hate the inlay, and I really like to have dots on the fretboard.
Don't buy the guitar or live with the inlays. It's not worth doing anything else.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 10:40 PM

buy it, rip the FB off and whack on some maple. win
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 10:44 PM

Reviews: 2

You should just get one of the new MTM2s that are being released this year. They don't have the "seven" inlay.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

MTM2 has been out for a while, but this MTM1 has the EMG pups, and it is neck thru. MTM2 is pretty cool as well, but I could pick this up cheaper then what a new MTM2 would cost me
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini8026 View Post
MTM2 has been out for a while, but this MTM1 has the EMG pups, and it is neck thru. MTM2 is pretty cool as well, but I could pick this up cheaper then what a new MTM2 would cost me
Get someone to paint two dice on the body - one a 6 and the other a 1. Seven!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 11:48 AM

Reviews: 1

Black Sharpie??

Worked on the dots on my rg7321. Just haev to keep re-doing it every now and then. You will see it, but not from a far.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:09 PM

Theoretically, it is possible to remove the inlays and replace it with square pieces of rosewood, but you still will see the difference (or you have to stain it, very black ). You'll probably need to redress the complete neck. It will be a very expensive operation if you don't do it yourself, otherwise you'll need some (semi-)professional equipment/skills. It might be easier to buy an RGT42 and replace the tremolo with a Fixed Edge and insert some AHB3s.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 01:52 PM

Reviews: 5

You could always have the inlay expanded into something else. I remember some guys who had the K7 inlay modified to look like an abstract almost tribal sort of thing. Tribal graphic art has become associated with meatheads and jerks, but you might be able to find something else to cover that inlay.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 01:58 PM

Reviews: 5

Of course, I should also warn you that any mods you make will probably not only be expensive at the time of installation, but will also damage the guitar's resale value.

What about buying the guitar, flipping it for a profit, and then buying a guitar you actually like without paying to have it modded?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode