Could use advice on my 1992 Ibanez RT650! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Could use advice on my 1992 Ibanez RT650!

Hey everyone,
I could use some advice on beefing up my tone on my 1992 RT650.
I realize it was Ibanez's take on making a more retro-ish strat, less for shredding and more torwards blues, but I got a great deal on it and would
like to get out a more beefy tone, but it seems to be difficult, im dealing with an Alder body and a vintage Wilkinson Pro tremolo. Brightness just seems to scream off it, currently the PUP configuration is B- Duncan Distortion M-Duncan Vintage Rails N-Duncan Jazz. I know its not the most desirable pickup selection for an Alder body but I bought it that way. I already threw 10s on it and brought up the pickups as far as I could, it sounded a little hotter and beefier but not enough to cut through the brightness and strat like sound.
Could use some advice on anyone's take to try an remedy the situation!
New pickups? Dimarzio, Bare Knuckles, Duncan? PLease any help would be most appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 05:42 PM

Reviews: 120
Re: Could use advice on my 1992 Ibanez RT650!

Tone Zone, straight up! The Tone Zone has blown me away in alder. I spent ages modding it for basswood to lose some of the mud, but in alder it is thick, chunky, but still articulate.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Hey thanks for the response! Where do you think it would best fit? Bridge? The Duncan Distortion is kind of weak in the Bridge, im looking to replace the single coil Duncan Vintage in middle as well.
I dont know about replacing the Duncan Jazz it handles well in the neck and under distortion but still looking for other alternatives
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 10:16 PM

LonePhantom is right: I think you would get good results with a tone zone in the bridge, that should deffinatly beef it up abit. If your changing the duncan jazz, a evolution would probably do the trick. As for the single coil you could throw a stacked single in there...something like an Air norton S or similar?? Or stick with the single thats already in there for clean tones? Possibilities are endless...
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-27-2011, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.
I was checking out the tone zone, could be right but for the bridge, but im also looking at the BKP's Warpig for the bridge, the Evolution could be alright but it's still in the tonal range that might be too thin for my alder body, if anyone has any experience with them on an alder body would love to know about it! I was also looking at BKP's Holydiver for the neck. But still up om the air for the middle pickup!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 12:15 AM

Reviews: 2

The Duncan distortion should have more than enough beef to it...it's an extremely hot pickup and is EQ'ed very heavy to the low's and mids........It should be the perfect compliment to your RT. You may want to look into different value pots and caps to get what you want out of your guitar. I think a complete re-wire will do you wonders and save you a lot of money at the same time.

For the middle position single I've had GREAT luck with the Air Norton S that dangerous rob suggested.......... it actually makes the middle position useable!!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 01:52 AM

Reviews: 11

i vote either tone zone or air zone. they have the same tone specs haha but the air zone has a bit less output
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your suggestions!

As far I a can tell the guy i bought it off of seemed to
enjoy the brightness and it seems he just wanted a higher
output strat. Each of these pickups are EQ'd with decent mids (with exception to the Jazz) but they are all very high on the treble end. Something that needs balanced out. I agree about the pots and re-wiring, especially with high output PUPs, but it looks like ill need to replace the pickups to balance the EQ. The Air Norton has been suggested by a few people, I wish I could hear it in an Alder body...I hear good things! Let me know if any of you guys are using BKPs!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 11:57 AM

Reviews: 2

Check this kid out.....the quality is decent enought to hear the differences in the pup's. He's using an '08 Jackson DK-1 "dinky". Alder body, bolt-on, and an ebony board..... so not too far off from your guitar. He has an Evo bridge and an Air Norton neck. Watch for when he switches pups.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qtIt4tZCho
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-28-2011, 05:21 PM

Tone Zone in bridge, Air Norton in neck, Air Norton S in middle
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaylightDies View Post
Tone Zone in bridge, Air Norton in neck, Air Norton S in middle
+1

I had this exact combination in an RT650 back in the early '00s. You'll love it. Promise.

Tags
advice 92 rt650!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode