Country of Origin Question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Country of Origin Question

Hi all,
Sort of new here.

I thought this question would be in the FAQ, but I could not find it.

How do you know what the country of origin is on the different Ibanez models? From what I know they are built in Korea, Japan and USA.

If this is true, should I generally stay away from the Korean guitars?

I am interested in the RG570 and the S1220. Are these good quality guitars and how do they compare to Jackson Dinkys?

Also, for you trivia Ibanez experts...
Is the Korean Mfgr the same one that makes Samick and Epiphone?
Is the Japanes mfgr the same that makes the Japanese Dinkys?

Sorry if I asked too many questions in one post!

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 10:48 AM

usually the letter in front of the serial number will tell you. F is for fuji gen gakki which is japan. C and S are for cort and samick which are korean. most of the others will have usually have a designation decal, but that is not a rule. hardware and pickups are usually a good way to determine, but there are exceptions to that rule, roo. PGM30 and RG470 are japanese, but with lower end hardware and wizard 2s(the koraen"fast" neck). so just take this as a guideline, but not as law. hope this helps.

rich
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Country of Origin Question

thanks. Your reply was helpful if I am in a guitar store checking it out.

However, I was thinking of buying off the internet from Matts music or MF or something. You can't see the serial number on the websites and they don't designate the country of origin on the sites

Or, if you are going to special order from a guitar store and doing your research on the internet, since COO it doesn't seemed to be noted, it makes research harder.

Thanks!

Tom
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
Both the RG570 and S1220 are Japanese guitars. Since there are so many Jackson Dinkies out there it's very hard to say, how they'd compare. The RG570 for example probably isn't going to do so favourably against a USA DK-1 but will probably slightly outperform a DK-2.

Again the S1220 might be able to pretty much hold it's own against the DK-1, personally I'd probably take the DK-1. But it should quite easily be a more carefully put together machine than the non-USA Jacksons.

The "Country of Origin" of Ibanez guitars has varied very much over the years especially on some models, even some of the USA custom guitars have been machined in Japan, and then assembled in the USA and so on.

"Most" of the lower end stuff is Korean, and then "most" of the rest is Japanese, with only the USRGs and the US Master series guitars being made in the USA.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 11:31 AM

Essentially, any model numbers below 500 are made in Korea, with a few exceptions such as the aforementioned RG470 and PGM30, as well as the RG421 and probably a few others.

Is there a particular model you're looking at?

I've found the quality of some of the higher-end Korean models to be quite good lately, equivalent to what the Japanese models were like in the early to mid 80s. Quality can still be spotty, but i think the same can be said about most production instruments, regardless of country of origin.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 01:40 PM

if you want to know the origin of a current ibanez model go to the parts section of ibanez.com
http://www.ibanez.com/2002parts/parts.asp?t=e
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Sweeeet!

That is exactly what I was looking for!

I have been on that site many times and never found this page.

Thanks again.
Tom
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 02:43 PM

To my knowledge the only ibanez guitars that may be made by samick are the rx series and maybe the rg 170 and below. Im still not sure, but they seem to bare the trademarks of being samick made. Does anyone know more about this?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2002, 03:17 PM

Nice subsection of the Ibanez site!

Hmm... Lo-Pro Edge in Pearl Nickel...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 08:47 AM

All 400 series Ibanezes are made in Japan, not Korea.

Cort makes the low-end Ibanez line (300 series and below)
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 12:27 PM

According to the parts page, the only exception to that seems to be the S470, which is Korean. How 'bout that? I never knew... i always just associated TRS-equipped models with Korean production.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 12:34 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
#1. korean made Ibanez axes cannot have an Edge/LoPro
#2. japanese made Ibanez axes can have the TRS

IMHO ibanez should stop #2.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 02:28 PM

There is no definite answer on the 400 series being made in japan because I STILL see korean 400s on a daily basis that are brand new.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 05:03 PM

RG4XX series are made in Japan.
S4XX are made in Korea.

Trust me on this one.

Cheers,
Butch

Tags
custom guitar , custom guitars , ibanez guitars , ibanez models , jackson dinky , korean guitar , pro edge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode