Coupe of questions 'bout RG1527 and 7-string in general - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 13
Question Coupe of questions 'bout RG1527 and 7-string in general

Hi guys, 1st post here,

First, I never had the chance to play a 7-string before, and I can't test such guitar where I live. I searched a lot on the forums, but I have some specific questions. So... I need help!

I currently own a JEM 555 BK. It's a 2003 model, with an Edge Pro II. I must say this tremolo is pretty good when properly set up. The guitar is overall great, I truly enjoy it.

But... I have a chance to trade it by a blue Prestige RG1527 (7-string). I know the Prestige is a "Prestige" and blah blah blah... but it has two humbuckers that everyone says "they suck", and 7-string pups are incredibly hard to find here in Brazil. Oh, and expensive as hell. So I'd have to live with the stock ones for a long time.

The sound of the Evos are amazing, and I need both the dirty and clean sounds. The middle Evo on the 555 really does a good job in conjunction with the humbuckers, very crystaline strat-like sounds. 1) Can I have good clean sounds with the 1527? Anyone have samples?

Also, by having 7 strings, I suppose the whammy bar is stiffer (to loose and bend the strings). I like smooth whammy bars (my 555's is pure butter). 2) Is the 1527 whammy bar too stiff?

Someone told me that the access to the highest frets is bad on a 7-string neck. And that it's hard to play on highest frets on a 7-string neck. 3) Is it hard to play on the highest frets of the 1527?

I have set up my 555 myself (I'm no beginner, I play since I was 9). I adjusted the tremolo, the truss rod and everything else, and I have a guitar that is a dream to play, buttery strings with low action and no fret buzzing. 4) Can I do the same on a 1527, can it have the action as low as a 6-string?

The case of the 1527 (and all Prestige) looks good... 5) Is it possible to keep the 1527 inside the case with the whammy bar attached on, so I never remove it?

There is nothing wrong with my 555, I truly like it. The thing is that I have an opportunity to get a better (?) guitar, a Prestige, and also I suffer from GAS, and I guess it's attacking me now... oh well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 09:22 AM

Re: Coupe of questions 'bout RG1527 and 7-string in general

[QUOTE=Rachmaninoff;803475]Hi guys, 1st post here,

First, I never had the chance to play a 7-string before, and I can't test such guitar where I live. I searched a lot on the forums, but I have some specific questions. So... I need help!

I currently own a JEM 555 BK. It's a 2003 model, with an Edge Pro II. I must say this tremolo is pretty good when properly set up. The guitar is overall great, I truly enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninoff View Post
But... I have a chance to trade it by a blue Prestige RG1527 (7-string). I know the Prestige is a "Prestige" and blah blah blah... but it has two humbuckers that everyone says "they suck", and 7-string pups are incredibly hard to find here in Brazil. Oh, and expensive as hell. So I'd have to live with the stock ones for a long time.
Well, advice, the stock pickups really aren't great. The neck one isn't too bad, but the bridge really is a bit shoddy and lifeless. Still, buy second hand pickups of somewhere like sevenstring.org, pay via paypal and get them to ship to you. THere's always some really good deals floating around and the guys are good to deal with. I don't buy pickups in europe, i buy em second hand from the states. There's your solution (Or ****). Oh, also, avoid the Tone Zone7 at all costs. It's terrible. Pickup a second hand set of blaze's, or, even better an Evo7/AirNorton7 combo. Also, sell the stock pickups, someone will buy them

Quote:
The sound of the Evos are amazing, and I need both the dirty and clean sounds. The middle Evo on the 555 really does a good job in conjunction with the humbuckers, very crystaline strat-like sounds. 1) Can I have good clean sounds with the 1527? Anyone have samples?
You will need to get new pickups. The evo7 is a really good pickup, and I really don't like the original evo's. The stock ones are muddy, and lack sparkle, so I'd say the cleans may be a bit fuller than with an evo (which is quite a dry sterile pickup, good for processing, but not for naturalness to be honest, but that's my opinion, and I really never liked them, especially not the evo middle, neck was allright though, but still....)

Quote:
Also, by having 7 strings, I suppose the whammy bar is stiffer (to loose and bend the strings). I like smooth whammy bars (my 555's is pure butter). 2) Is the 1527 whammy bar too stiff?
A little bit stiffer, depends on the springs in the back and how worn in they are to be honest. There is minimal difference in my opinion, same as adjusting to a slightly heavier gauge of strings.

Quote:
Someone told me that the access to the highest frets is bad on a 7-string neck. And that it's hard to play on highest frets on a 7-string neck. 3) Is it hard to play on the highest frets of the 1527?
Nope. On the old Universes with the square heel joint some people have a problem, but I have fairly small hands and have no issues. You may find that hitting the 24th fret on the low B is a bit harder, but that's it. With the AANJ it's the same as a 6string with AANJ.

Quote:
I have set up my 555 myself (I'm no beginner, I play since I was 9). I adjusted the tremolo, the truss rod and everything else, and I have a guitar that is a dream to play, buttery strings with low action and no fret buzzing. 4) Can I do the same on a 1527, can it have the action as low as a 6-string?
Yes. I've set up old universes with action that was retardedly low. Should be able to do the same with the 1527 no problems. Again, it depends on gauge of string you use for the low B, but the principles are exactly the same.

Quote:
The case of the 1527 (and all Prestige) looks good... 5) Is it possible to keep the 1527 inside the case with the whammy bar attached on, so I never remove it?
You can, but, it's a pop out bar, so there's no point and I'd not be doing this, as a nasty knock (enirely possible with a bad fall, or a mishap of epic proportions (like handing it over to baggage handlers)) could dent the body. It's a pop in bar, so you don't have to unscrew it, really easy, so it's very very very little hassle to simply pop it out.

Quote:
There is nothing wrong with my 555, I truly like it. The thing is that I have an opportunity to get a better (?) guitar, a Prestige, and also I suffer from GAS, and I guess it's attacking me now... oh well.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 09:24 AM

I don't have a RG1527, but I do have a couple of UVs, so I can answer some of your questions:

1. The tonality of a 7 string is a little different due to the increased neck mass, but they can sound as good as the pickups will allow. I've not used the stock RG1527 ones though.
2. 7 stings are a tad stiffer than 6 (in my experience) but not so much that it is worth worrying about.
3. Rubbish. The highest notes on the lowest string are further to reach than the highest notes on the lowest string on a 6, but it really isn't an issue.
4. Yes.
5. No.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Dying Trees View Post

The evo7 is a really good pickup, and I really don't like the original evo's.
Got to agree with this. I'm not at all keen on Evos in basswood, but the Evo7 sounds great in basswood.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 09:43 AM

Reviews: 65

The 1527 is a very nice guitar. You should have no problems.

I think the stock pups are not to bad, but I am thinking about going AirNorton7 and Evo7 as previously recommended.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm somewhat confused because now I have an option to get a 7-string 1527 or a 6-string 1570 (the red one, which is beautiful as hell). Oh and I also can keep my good 555.

I guess the necks of these RG ladies are very similar, am I right? So, would I be losing some kind of playability if I pick up the 7-string, since the neck is wider? (E.g. it could be harder to quiet the other six strings (not five anymore) on arpeggios.)

Also, is the distance between the strings on a 7-string RG smaller than on a 6-string?

And GAS is boiling... oh man...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 07:53 AM

Most folks find adapting to a 7 string is a lot easier than they expected. In your situation I'd recommend getting the 1527, simply because you already have a 6 string, and, quality issues aside, the 1570 isn't going to do anything that your 555 doesn't have covered already.

And remember, you can play 6 string stuff on a 7, you can't do 7 string stuff on a 6!

(and by the way, sell the 555 to get a 1570 later on .......)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 12:20 PM

Space between strings is smaller in the nut, but spacing is regular in the bridge (string spacing is the same like on 6 string Edge-Pro trem, because they have same saddles).
The neck (which is extremely comfortable) is narrower than my 6 string classical guitar's neck.

Get the 1527 (I have one) you will not be disappointed! (Of course If you can't find an old Universe for a reasonable price - those are TEH SEX.)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 07:37 PM

THE RG1527 IS GREAT WITH EMG PICKUPS AND THE NECK IS AS THIN AS YOU CAN GET ON A 7 STRING (A MANS GUITAR)I HAD RG7620S FOR YEARS INCLUDING A WES BORLAN OWEND VK7620 WITH 2 VOLUMES 1 TONE,BUT THE NECK IS NICER ON THE RG1527(NOT AS YELLOW).TOP GUITAR IF YOU CAN PLAY IT IT WILL ROCK!!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 07:39 PM

VAI GUITARS HAVE THICKER NECKS THAN RG`S(WIZARD 1)
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 07:41 PM

AND THEY ARE ***
LOL
I MEAN C`MON FLOWERS ON A GUITAR,A MIRROR TO DO MY HAIR IN!!!
RG`S RULE THE ROOST WHEN IT COMES TO REAl life !
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 01:06 AM

Black green dot Universe has thiner neck than 1527 :/
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 09:38 AM

Reviews: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestv65 View Post
THE RG1527 IS GREAT WITH EMG PICKUPS AND THE NECK IS AS THIN AS YOU CAN GET ON A 7 STRING (A MANS GUITAR)I HAD RG7620S FOR YEARS INCLUDING A WES BORLAN OWEND VK7620 WITH 2 VOLUMES 1 TONE,BUT THE NECK IS NICER ON THE RG1527(NOT AS YELLOW).TOP GUITAR IF YOU CAN PLAY IT IT WILL ROCK!!!
Quote:
VAI GUITARS HAVE THICKER NECKS THAN RG`S(WIZARD 1)
Quote:
AND THEY ARE ***
LOL
I MEAN C`MON FLOWERS ON A GUITAR,A MIRROR TO DO MY HAIR IN!!!
RG`S RULE THE ROOST WHEN IT COMES TO REAl life !
Looks like someone needs to lay off the caps button

Jimmy
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyta View Post
Black green dot Universe has thiner neck than 1527 :/
This one is my ultimate dream.
Can you make a more detailed comparison between 1527 and Universe necks?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 02:40 AM

Reviews: 65

I find the 1527 neck very pleasing and thin, well I never played a Universe yet. But to me the 1527 neck is very fine and I do not need much adjustment when I played my JEM.
While my 1527 came with speed knobs, then only thing that bothers me is that those are quite "sticky" to turn.
The standard pups are quite nice though, while I will change them, I am in no hurry with it.

Tags
fret buzz , thicker necks , tone zone , truss rod , whammy bars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode