CRAZY idea! :) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

Cool CRAZY idea! :)

Guys,
Look at this.

http://www.samickguitar.com/mav1.html

I was thinking of the insane. Can it be actually made playable? Can it?!? By playable, I'm thinking as good sounding as an Ibanez RG321.

I was thinking of MODDING it.. to...
1) Dimarzio X2N (white)
2) Up the string guage to like .13 and detuning to drop C.

Can it be done? Will it work? Has anyone done it?

If there's nothing... I will take the plunge... $80SGD for the axe (2nd hand, mint) and 120SGD for the X2N... hehehehe....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 05:52 AM

Re: CRAZY idea! :)

Mod **** as much as you want. **** will remain ****.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 06:10 AM

Reviews: 34

I have seen a similar sized tanglewood modded with a dimarzio and a floyd rose.

To say it was fun would be an understatement. Me and the guitar shop guy played this thing through a dual rectifier for an hour, it rocked. The surprising thing was that the harmonics (pinched or natural) were unbelievable. It was like Zakk Wylde him self was playing.

I would have to say that if they are cheap, and you can afford it, buy one.

Of course it wont be like a Jem, but I am definately going to do one myself.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcoumbe
To say it was fun would be an understatement. Me and the guitar shop guy played this thing through a dual rectifier for an hour, it rocked. The surprising thing was that the harmonics (pinched or natural) were unbelievable. It was like Zakk Wylde him self was playing..
Lookout Zack .

Regards

André

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 08:07 AM Thread Starter

I understand it ain't going to be anywhere high end... but its something for fun!

Imagine, walking out on stage with a tiny guitar... ppl jeering and laughing, then when you start chugging... they shut up... and when the minature drums come on, they start moving theirs heads to the beat.

Anyway, the harmonics thing is true... I mean, I tried that guitar before... the string tension was so low (0.09s) that vibrato was basically 3 fret bends!
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 08:17 AM Thread Starter

Oh yeah, I thought of the floyd too! That would be stella... I mean... look at the thing! It would be a surprise if it really works out well...

Other mods I thought of include:
1) Converting the neck to fretless above the 15th fret... since pass that, the frets are really narrow.. simple mod, taking out the frets and filling...
2)Stripping it down to a natural finish...
3) Adding a neck single coil
OR
Swapping out the tone pot for a 3 way toggle for series/parallel/split.

Heh... its going to be cheap and really for fun... I just need to know if the thing can actually be played (Normal string tension, properly intonated) properly. Otherwise, the mods will do nothing to it.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 08:59 AM

I wouldn't think one could very successfully drop-tune a guitar with that short of a scale length. But there sure isn't any harm in trying! Epiphone also has a LP Pee-Wee and a Flying-Vee-Wee.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Well, if its not possible to drop tune effectively... then we'll stick to normal tuning. Perhaps .11s in standard tuning... The idea is to make this seemingly tiny guitar turn into a growling metal monster... heh...

I have a friend who has the Flying-Vee-Wee and we intend to mod together... He's taking an SD Invader.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 10:11 AM

I don't know if you guys have seen this yet, but ESP/Edwards actually has a line of mini guitars that are not toys. In fact they're just as well built as any normal guitar (for $350-$400 it better be), they just happen to be travel guitars (1 humbucker and 1 mini amp built in the neck position) Have a look:

http://espguitars.co.jp/edwards/original/E-LP-45SM.html

I think there's only two models available now, a Mini Les Paul Standard and a Mini Les Paul Custom. I actually bought an Edwards Mini Les Paul Standard once along with an ESP RV-350AL. Gotta admit, the mini edwards LP was pretty fun to play around with.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 10:20 AM

Everyone in the band play mini instrument and tell people your giants.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotti
Everyone in the band play mini instrument and tell people your giants.
LOL ya right!
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fettouhi
Lookout Zack .

Regards

André
+1

Great idea.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

MAN... the ESPs are pretty sweet! And they cost the price of a real guitar...

Anyway, on the Samick site, there's a mini bass guitar too. I need mini drums... I know, electronic drums will do ya?

I'm really hyped up on this.. it seems really fun and well... just... fun! Will be testing .11s on my friend's mini V... if it works out, i'm getting that mini samick.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 11:56 AM

I don't know if it's a *good* idea, but it looks like a fun idea
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 12:17 PM

Sorry am i missing something?

I've never heard of these miniture guitars untill now? Is there a sudden boom in them or something?

Tags
candy apple red , dual rectifier , floyd rose , guitar shop , les paul , les paul custom , les paul standard , neck position , nigel tufnel , string guage , string tension , zakk wylde

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode