Crossing over to the dark side? - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-28-2002, 04:21 PM

Reviews: 3
For some pickups, try Lindy Fralin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 05-31-2002, 10:55 PM

I have to agree with those that have recommended G&L. My Legacy absolutely smokes my American Deluxe Strat. Yes, this is due in large part to the lifeless Noiseless pups but you can't go wrong with a G&L. And used, they go incredibly cheap. G&L also sells the exact pups featured in the Legacy.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 02:06 PM

I agree with Kremlin here. Many Stratocasters are great guitars and Ive played and enjoyed mine for years. Ive always been a firm believer that if you want a Strat sound, buy a Strat!! People try to buy other guitars and pickups to emulate the sound (many fairly successful) but why buy choice B cause it can sound like choice A?? Just buy choice A!! ok, bad analogy but im sure you get the point

The whole idea of buying something to sound like something else is kinda ridiculous to me. Some people run out and buy a Line 6 because they want a dual rectifier sound, and it can model that!! Guess what, its not quite the same. They never completely are either.... Find a nice Strat in good shape and go for it.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 09:02 PM

I like my Yamahas because they cop a strat well, but play like a much more modern machine. THAT's why people don't buy a standard strat...
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 09:12 PM

I bought a Line6 because I wanted like 5 of the amps it can "model". I buy stuff for versatility and originality. Yes, I like the Strat sound, but I also like a bunch of other sounds too. And I can't afford buying like 20 guitars and 5 amps.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 09:51 PM

Valid points but...

One amp being able to model 10 amp sounds only matters if they sound good.

IMO, Line 6 amps sound pretty crappy. I don't care for'em at all.

Maybe for just a practice amp or something, but no way as my main rig.
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2002, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 5
Someone record the data and time! I agree with Jeffrey. I HATE instruments/gear that try to be ultra-versatile. They try to be good at everything but they end up being mediocre in every way. I know there's lots of financially-challenged folks whose POD is as close as they'll come to a Rectifier or a Laney or a Bogner or whatever sound they think they're approximating but the bottom line is- it's not the same. Same goes for guitars. It's why I hate Godins and Hamers. I know they're supposed to be these versatile machines that are equally adept at playing rock and jazz etc. IMO, they end up being crap at both. If I want a Fender sound- chances are really good I'll buy a fender. If I want an Ibanez sound- I'm not going to compromise on a photo-flame jackson with SD "designed" pickups- I'll buy the JEM.

I know everyone's looking for that pie-in-the-sky deal where you get 5 guitars for the price of one- but face it- it doesn't exist. If you want the real deal- you got pay the real price.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-03-2002, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarlos2
I agree with Kremlin here. Many Stratocasters are great guitars and Ive played and enjoyed mine for years. Ive always been a firm believer that if you want a Strat sound, buy a Strat!! People try to buy other guitars and pickups to emulate the sound (many fairly successful) but why buy choice B cause it can sound like choice A?? Just buy choice A!! ok, bad analogy but im sure you get the point
I totally disagree with you guys. A G&L is more of a true Fender than a Fender is. Fender was sold 37 years ago. G&L is the company that Leo created and died at. Do you honestly think that Leo Fender would've just churned out the same ol' same ol' for 40 years if he remained the man at Fender? DOUBTFUL! The guy was always creating and changing things. He's probably rolling in his grave thinking about all the reissues and re-reissues and relics (LOL). Go ahead and buy a Fender, I don't care. I was just trying to give you a better option. One other thing to consider - Fender has the worst customer service I've ever come across. G&L the best. Just another data point to think about when plunking down your bucks.

Later,
G

Tags
body shape , bridge position , carvin bolt , clean tone , custom shop , deluxe strat , dual rectifier , electric guitar , eric johnson , fender strat , fret neck , jem custom , lace sensor , leo fender , maple fingerboard , pearl pickguard , pearloid pickguard , practice amp , strat plus , strat sound , vintage strat , white pearloid pickguard , wilkinson trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode