Custom 7 need help with woods - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Custom 7 need help with woods

Hi im planning to order a custom seven with a luthier here in Mexico
This would be the guitar

Rg Shaped body and ibanez headstock

Neckthru construction
Neck:maple with 2 Purple heart stripes
Fretboard: Ebony with one inlay at 12 fret
Body wings: Mahogany with a top of?? suggestions?
a pyramid inlay like in the universe
Clear finish

Hardware:
Pickups: emg 81-7 bridge 707 neck with emg expander, already ordered.
Tuners: Sperzel Locking
Fixed Bridge

What do you thing about it. need some recomendations on woods. i would like some dark woods especially for the neck i would like something different from maple.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 12:18 PM

Re: Custom 7 need help with woods

You'll have to know what type of music you play to have a better understanding of tonewoods and their tonal properties. You could always use a Mahogany neck if you want it darker, but its usually less stable than maple. Macassar Ebony would also be what you're looking for. As for the top, if you want a slightly brighter sound, then get a solid maple top, flamed or quilt if you like the wood grain . I can't comment on other tops, because maple has been the only one I've tried so far. Anyway my 2 sen.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 12:19 PM

mahogany! Thats what LPs are made out of.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

neck: mahogany with 2 purpleheart stripes fretboard Ebony. Would this be stable or do i need harder woods?

i play alternative music in my band, some kind like incubus.
But i also would like to play with this guitar something heavier, like korn, brujeria, FF, some progresive stuff also.

For the top, im only going tu use it on the wings not the neck, cuz i want the purple heart stripes shown on the front and back of the guitar, like in the RGT220

Last edited by JN777; 10-05-2005 at 04:49 PM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN777
neck: mahogany with 2 purpleheart stripes fretboard Ebony. Would this be stable or do i need harder woods?
Purple heart is used to make bridges; it's as hard as you'll ever need.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Ok so thats it
Neck: Mahogany with 2 Purple heart Stripes
Fretboard: Ebony
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 06:54 PM

Ever since taking delivery of the custom with swamp ash wings I've thought about how they'd sound on a 7, so if you want something really special try swamp ash for the wings and slap a maple top on. You basically get a nice breathing open sound with the ash and some brightness on top. On the 6string everything sounds really smooth and just sings, so that may be an option looking into.

*swamp ash, before anyone points out, is actually just ash but grown in a swampy enviroment/wet enviroment that makes the wood more porous, and to some, more tonefull across the frequencies.

Otherwise I'd suggest trying mahogony wings, but do brighten that up with a maple top!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-07-2005, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

i think ill try the mahogany wings with some top, maybe spalted maple, or a dark wood(any recomendations?)

Today i received the Emg pickups !!! yeah!!! im happy an emg 81-7 one 707 and a expander. Those pickups looks amazing!!

So next step taking my custom order with the luthier.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-10-2005, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Re: Custom 7 need help with bridges

I need a bridge wich one is the best for you?

this one is $22
http://guitarpartsdepot.com/Merchant...gory_Code=7SGP

The hipshop one $80
http://www.hipshotproducts.com/7string/7string.htm

allparts one $65
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 02:28 PM

Gotta second 7 Dying Trees here - mahogany is a bodywood without a lot of true depth, a lot of lower mids, and not a heck of a lot of brightness to it. In a seven, you want great bass coupled with excellent clarity. As such, mahogany (which isn't at all bright, nor overly "detailed" sounding) is really far from ideal.

I've currently got a UV7PHW and a RG7CST, and of the two, the UV is overall the tonally surperior one, IMO. the CST is a great rhythm guitar, and sounds phenominal clean, but for heavy low-B riffing is no match for the UV, and also can't touch the UV as a solo instrument - to me, it sounds more balanced across its entire spectrum than the CST. Don't get me wrong, they both sound phenominal, but if I had to have just one, I think basswood works better for a 7 than mahogany, even if mahogany is better in certain applications.

I'd STRONGLY recommend a brighter tonal wood, like ash or alder.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 03:26 PM

Re: Custom 7 need help with bridges

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN777
I need a bridge wich one is the best for you?

this one is $22
http://guitarpartsdepot.com/Merchant...gory_Code=7SGP

The hipshop one $80
http://www.hipshotproducts.com/7string/7string.htm

allparts one $65
If you want a quality instrument then go for the hipshot - I have two of their bridges (one 7-string and one 8-string) and they're both great - made really well and no problems. The cheaper bridges might be okay, but you may have problems longer-term - ie, they may corrode quicker or the saddles may wear and cause string breakage, etc.
Rich
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew
Gotta second 7 Dying Trees here - mahogany is a bodywood without a lot of true depth, a lot of lower mids, and not a heck of a lot of brightness to it. In a seven, you want great bass coupled with excellent clarity. As such, mahogany (which isn't at all bright, nor overly "detailed" sounding) is really far from ideal.

I've currently got a UV7PHW and a RG7CST, and of the two, the UV is overall the tonally surperior one, IMO. the CST is a great rhythm guitar, and sounds phenominal clean, but for heavy low-B riffing is no match for the UV, and also can't touch the UV as a solo instrument - to me, it sounds more balanced across its entire spectrum than the CST. Don't get me wrong, they both sound phenominal, but if I had to have just one, I think basswood works better for a 7 than mahogany, even if mahogany is better in certain applications.

I'd STRONGLY recommend a brighter tonal wood, like ash or alder.

Very true. Mahogony on it's own would really "dull" the guitar. Great for rythm, but If you want to go down the mahogony road I'd seriously put a maple top on (ala Les Paul) to brighten up the sound.

Ash would be a good option, and research the mythical "swamp ash" (i had a guitar builder lecture me that there was no such thing as swamp ash, and that it was just ash grown in a wetter enviroment, (ie, a swamp, so go figure ) and the 6string I have with this has excellent clarity and even frequency response across the whole register, it sings basically . Why the "swamp ash"? It has a slightly different more porous structure that just has a fukller frequency response.

Still, even with the ash I would recommend a maple top, as this will brighten up the guitar. You can always make it thicker through the amp bass wise, as long as all the frequencies are clear. Also, maple tops mean gorgeous flame and quilted patterns to make the axe look truly droolworthy

In fact, possibly look up some popular wood choices for basses!

Getting the right wood is a nightmare when you are exploring more exotic ones as there are no stock guitar references, but if yu want something that is truly custom and unique it is recommended!
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 05:33 PM

Swamp ash comes from the part of the ash tree that is actually submerged under water. So, it should be possible to get ash and swamp ash from the same tree.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 06:33 PM

get it in koa!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 09:04 PM

Here's a page with some good information on wood combinations.
http://www.suhrguitars.com/wood.htm
Hope it helps, good luck with your custom

Tags
amp settings , custom guitar , fixed bridge , flame maple , frank falbo , les paul , mesa nomad , pyramid inlay , quilted maple , sperzel locking , string breakage , swamp ash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode