Custom cut out - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
KMT

Custom cut out

I bought an RG350dx a while back that has been totally customized. I'd like to know your opinions on its value. The neck is all orig. The body has been refinished (more on that..) and cutout with a custom monkey grip. The cutout looks well done and I've used it enough to trust it is solid. The finish is a gray color texture paint... almost like fake stone or rhino lining. Why? No idea. It's unique tho! The pickguard is custom fabricated, circualr brushed aluminum. Pickups are humbucker size P90 neck, hot single middle (he claimed its a texas special, sounds like but not fender.) and a charvel PAF bridge. electronics are 1 volume pot and upgraded selector switch. Hardware is original.

I'll post pics tonight, but with that info, any guesses on what that does to the value?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 04:36 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Custom cut out

Pics will help but, unfortunately, the hardware on the guitar will be your limiting factor.

I'm assuming your guitar is a 2010 or older. If it is, you'll have an EdgeIII, Edge ProII, Lo-TRSII, or other low end bridge. Regardless of other upgrades, the trem,nut, and tuners will keep it's resale value in the same area as a stock 350 of the same year and condition.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
KMT

Thanks for the insight! I've noticed that's what people are mostly after. I believe the trem is an edge iii on that model but I could be wrong (I'm at work otherwise i'd check) Best to part it out then??
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 05:28 PM

A guitar that weird is one to play if you like it, and pass on if you don't. There's no reason to assume you're going to turn any kind of profit parting it out, because you likely won't. Especially with no real info on what pickups are now in it.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarBizarre View Post
A guitar that weird is one to play if you like it, and pass on if you don't. There's no reason to assume you're going to turn any kind of profit parting it out, because you likely won't. Especially with no real info on what pickups are now in it.
+1

You'd probably do better selling it as a whole. The only parts on a guitar that are really worth significant money are the neck and hardware. Neither your neck or hardware will fetch much on their own.

If it were my guitar, I'd route it for an Edge/Lo-Pro, find a decent, but inexpensive trem, nut, and tuners.......then keep it.

Last edited by RGTFanatic; 05-02-2012 at 07:41 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2012, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
KMT

It's built with an edge two and has a cool neck but I like my S520 more for the tone and playability, and the zr trem is way easier to maintain and tune. I don't really need both guitars. So your opinion is to sell it whole? I may snatch the PAF from it... it's better than the INF bridge in the S520.
Thanks for the input.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
It's built with an edge two and has a cool neck but I like my S520 more for the tone and playability, and the zr trem is way easier to maintain and tune. I don't really need both guitars. So your opinion is to sell it whole? I may snatch the PAF from it... it's better than the INF bridge in the S520.
Thanks for the input.
No Problem. Judging by another post, you got the 350 for a decent price, you should be able to make a couple bucks off of it even with the INF in it.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
KMT

Yeah I'll do okay. I still have 1 hickup. The finish is ugly and I gotta fix that. Might even keep it if I can get it lookin nice. Are there any good tutorials here about refinishing? The 350 is basswood, I don't know if that matters.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 12:10 PM

Reviews: 9

See here http://www.projectguitar.com/

Bascally,
Sand smooth and flat (I do not use paint strippers), heaviest grit needed, then reducing grit several times as removal is completed.
Depending on the your desired result you may need filler or a base coat.
Use light coats if using cans, keep cans in warmer area, do not spray in rain or heavy humidity.
I like to sand after most of the new color is down, then put some final color before beginning clear, it give a more consistant surface.
DRY,DRY,DRY
Sand clear to smooth (no shinney spots), polish.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
KMT

wow, thanks! that's easy, just handle with care!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
KMT

OK. Here are picks for those of you that are curious (if there is anyone haha) Hopefully you can see the texture in these pics.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 07:28 PM

I'd probably leave the body as-is.........it actually looks decent. Put a black pickguard and matching pups on it and it will look great.

If that paint is the garage floor epoxy that it looks like, it will be a MONSTER to remove. Epoxy paint turns to goo when you try to sand it....clogging your paper/disc's.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
KMT

I don't think the paint is epoxy. It's very rough, lumpy even. I can chip it off with my thumbnail.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMT View Post
I don't think the paint is epoxy. It's very rough, lumpy even. I can chip it off with my thumbnail.
Obviously whoever painted it did a bad job if you can take it off that easy. Maybe you can scrape it off with a plastic scraper then??? see what the paint underneath it looks like.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2012, 09:07 PM

It's called Fleck-Stone you can buy it from Walmart. kinna cool

Tags
custom , grip , jem , rg350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode