Custom Exotic Body for my RG7620? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Custom Exotic Body for my RG7620?

Hello,
I have an RG7620 that has been a constant work-in-progress guitar for a while now. I installed EMG707's in it, which came out nice. Now Id like to refinish the body...its in Vampire Kiss red but I never liked that color.
I was considering going with a black finish and some kind of white pearloid pickguard, but after seeing the J-Custom my friend just bought Im really fiending for some-kind of transparent-finish exotic wood.
Is there a recommended place to get custom RG7 bodies? Ive been searching around on google but can't seem to find anything.

Thanks!
Awake77
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:31 PM

Re: Custom Exotic Body for my RG7620?

Click the EKG Custom Shop banner on the top right... Eddie should be able to hook you up.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Sweet - thanks man! Ill email him for a quote...
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2005, 11:56 PM

Check out this URL http://homepage.mac.com/bigvelvetdog/gallery/csp.html

I am currently having a custom RG body made and a custom neck as well.It takes a while but that's the way custom guitars go.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 12:29 AM

i'm bout to be making my own custom RG7 body, picked up an alder body blank from a local supplier... gotta glue the 2 halves together and start routing... hopefully it turns out not too shabby... been trying to learn as much on my own as i can before i go to roberto-venn... plus if it doesn't turn out too good its only 30 bux wasted lol
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Secondino
Check out this URL http://homepage.mac.com/bigvelvetdog/gallery/csp.html

I am currently having a custom RG body made and a custom neck as well.It takes a while but that's the way custom guitars go.
I'll second that as well. Chris is making me an RG7 body, and it's going to have an alder back, with a thin veneer of black walnut on purple heart top. I'd at least check out his site.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2005, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awake77
Sweet - thanks man! Ill email him for a quote...
I'm in the same boat as you ! I've already talked to Eddie about my new 7620 body (which the original is VK). Looks like I'm going with a 1pc mahogany , basically the same layout as the K7 , and hopefully a transparent flat black finish (like the Ibanez Gary Willis bass). His prices are reasonable , and the quality appears to be excellent . BTW , forgot to mention it'll be getting PAF7s' too . Maybe yours and mine will be made side by side , if you order from him .
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Ive emailed Eddie but I havent heard back yet - what's the best way to get ahold of him? I dont mind waiting for quality work, the guitar will be one-of-a-kind and totally kick-ass when Im done!

Thanks for the link! Id love to get some custom inlay work done on the neck too but that's for later...

Chris
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 02:23 PM
EKG

PM sent, Chris ;-)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777
I'll second that as well. Chris is making me an RG7 body, and it's going to have an alder back, with a thin veneer of black walnut on purple heart top. I'd at least check out his site.
I am going to have a 7 string built next but wasn't sure how to go about getting it done without a template. So Christopher told me someone sent him a 7 string and he will make templates. I guess that is your guitar?

If you don't mind me asking, what details can you tell me? I mean, did you send a body to him and will this new body be the same dimensions and routing as the current Ibanez 7 strings? Thanks
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 04:07 PM

I haven't sent him the body, but I was thinking about it because I need a roomier back cavity for the Falbo preamp that powers my Bartolinis, and I don't want to end up with the preamp crammed in there. I'm going to get some locking studs from Rich and get them to him, and I'm also going to send Chris the neck and trem so he can get the body perfect. The body will be mostly alder, with a purpleheart cap and either a black walnut veneer top or an ebony veneer top. I literally change my mind every hour on which one I want. It will be an RG7 shape, though. If it blows me away when I get it I'll get Jeremy to inlay a vine in the fretboard in maple, so I have a sort of exotic wood thing going on. The only out of the ordinary thing I asked for was the channels cut behind the trem, to show off the purpleheart. If you've seen his site you know what I mean, if not, there's an example here:
http://homepage.mac.com/bigvelvetdog...tars/ibzc.html

jim

Last edited by jim777; 01-25-2005 at 04:29 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Wow, that looks damn spiffy!!

Well, Eddie PM'd me as soon as he read my post (thanks again!) and we worked out pricing for a body routed for the EMG707's in mahogany, with a figured maple top.

It was less $$ than I anticipated, and as soon as I get a price quote back for finshwork from Jeremy at LGM maybe Ill get this ball rolling!

Looks like the total will be less than $600 shipped, which is about what I planned on spending. What a kick-ass guitar that will be!!!

Now Im getting excited

Awake77
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-25-2005, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awake77
Now Im getting excitedAwake77
You're not kidding ! I originally posted for an opinion on PAF7s' in the 7620 , and then people started talking replacement bodies , mahogany , etc. Well , I'm pretty weak I guess , 'cause look what a p/up swap turned into !! I can't wait to get this project started . My 'old standard' will suddenly become new again . I'll be ordering the pups this week , and the body soon after .(Thanks Uncle Sam !!)

Tags
alder body , custom guitar , custom guitars , custom shop , locking stud , locking studs , pearloid pickguard , white pearloid pickguard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode