Custom Fabric-topped Ibanez - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Custom Fabric-topped Ibanez

So I'm considering starting a new fabric project to complement my existing red RG520, but I wasn't sure what kind of fabric to go with. Today, I remembered a fabric web site that someone here found a while back that had some really interesting-looking swirl fabrics. So, as long as I was monkeying around in Photoshop, I thought I'd throw together a template so I could easily see what some of these fabrics might look like on a guitar. I like what I'm seeing so far, so I thought I'd get some more opinions.

Here's a few that I've come up with:

If you're curious, the site is here. That's just the "Abstract" section, where the swirls are, but they have a ton more fabrics, including some decent florals. Just go to "Fabrics by Theme" and take a look.

If you find any you'd like to see on a guitar, let me know and I can whip up a quick preview.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 11:00 PM

Re: Custom Fabric-topped Ibanez

Wow!
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 11:33 PM

That was the site Flo and I kept checking out. Way too many good ideas on that site.

I really like the blue floral one.
post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

At this point, I'm seriously considering doing the green one I have pictured, though my love for the BFP makes me like the blue floral as well. I think I'd have to have a maple fretboard to do that one, so maybe that would be an option later.

Hopefully, I'll be getting the tools and materials soon to do nice professional clear coat jobs. At which point, being able to offer guitar customization at very reasonable prices may become a realistic possibility...

In any event, I'm going to order some fabric soon and start this project, I'm just way too fired up about the possibilities right now! I'll probably start a thread with my progress once I get started, if anyone's interested.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 12:32 AM

What I think looks great on these is the black burst around the edges, especially the headstock. The green one looks the best.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 12:40 AM

I think the purple/blue swirl would look killer... But im also drawn to the blue floral

the green one on the right is my least favorite of the bunch
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 12:41 AM

Those look awesome i think i might do one too. How much should I order?
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitvai1 View Post
What I think looks great on these is the black burst around the edges, especially the headstock. The green one looks the best.
Yeah, the burst is something of a necessity for these since you want to hide the edges of the fabric, which can sometimes look a big ragged. Plus, the sides will have to be painted, and an abrupt transition from fabric to paint on the side might look awkward. And finally, I like the look of burst paint jobs anyway, so it all works out in the end. On my red fabric project, I tried to match the color of the fabric with a red burst and that worked out pretty well too, but I think my next one will have a black burst.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieAL View Post
Those look awesome i think i might do one too. How much should I order?
At the store in the past, I've usually bought 2 yards since fabric is relatively cheap, but I've never actually used more than 1 yard. For a first time attempt, having that extra yard wouldn't be a bad idea at all.
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 12:48 AM

Yeah it's pretty awesome i'm looking at some of the paisley ones and i think those would look really cool but before all of that I have to learn to strip and sand my guitar and then i'll learn to do all of that hah. i gotta step up to the learning curve :P
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 12:49 AM

2 yards should be more than enough.
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

I should note that the single yard I've used in the past has covered front, back and headstock. But I'll still buy two to be on the safe side.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 01:31 AM

Reviews: 6

I like the green one.
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 01:55 AM

I like your designs, they remind me of swirls, the green one especially, they look awesome. Nice job, I think they'd all be great, really.
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 09-22-2006, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

All right, I ordered two pieces of fabric today. I went with the blue swirl and the green swirl shown above and will decide which to do first when they arrive. The green apparently has gold highlights in it while the blue has silver in it, so I imagine they'll look a little different in person. Should be interesting.

Tags
angled jack , clear coat , death metal , dimarzio breed , dimarzio breeds , maple fret , maple fretboard , patrick sims , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in