Custom Guitar Builders Recommendation - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Question Custom Guitar Builders Recommendation

I'm thinking of having a custom guitar built for me - nothing too radical other than some odd switching. Dimarzio HSH, 22 jumbo frets, quilt maple top over alder, maple neck and board, recessed Floyd, body shape either strat or tele-ish. I'd like rear-routed controls - a Les Paul style toggle for the two humbuckers and then two mini toggles - one to add the middle pup to any combo and another three-way mini-toggle for splitting, series, parallel on the humbuckers, master volume, master tone.

I was curious as to what people would recommend - actual experiences would be good to hear about also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 01:25 PM

Re: Custom Guitar Builders Recommendation

www.warmoth.com

Save yourself a crapload money and buy from them.

High quality stuff too.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

I'm not crazy about trying to put a kit together myself (all thumbs and no patience is not a good combo) and don't know of any local luthier-types. I'm thinking more like a Suhr, Andersen, Charvel, etc. Am I missing any??
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 04:03 PM

Suhr kick ass, there's nothing much else to say.

Do forum searches here and on other places (harmony central, the gear page) for lots of opinions, as this has been talked about tonnes. I know because I did the same research before I ordered my Suhr custom, which I love btw.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2007, 04:16 PM

Bolt-on Guitars.... I go for Suhr these days and Melancon too. Played Andersons for a time too and are also excellent!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2007, 03:32 AM

If you're willing to spend the money, I'd go for a Fender masterbuilt any day.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 07:29 PM

A friend of mine is an EXTREMELY talented luthier out of New Jersey who does incredible work at great prices. I had him handbuild me an INCREDIBLE neck for a custom guitar. Here are a few pics - flame maple neck, highly figured cocobolo fretboard, custom inlay and abalone purfling.

Last edited by shreddersymphony; 10-19-2008 at 04:03 AM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 09:46 PM

wow that neck is ansolutely gorgeous
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Interesting. Thanks for the tip - I'll check it out. Make sure you've got your safety goggles on around that headstock - yikes!!!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 12:55 AM

Thanks rvai!

And haha, yeah, gotta keep those goggles nearby. I wanted to keep the metal spirit alive with a somewhat pointy headstock but also not go with a typical-styled headstock. If you end up speaking to him, please do mention my name. If I get him some customers i get a discount on the new one hes building for me!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 02:11 AM

What wood is the neck made out of there? Or what finish is that?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 02:28 AM

The neck wood is flame (curly) maple, stained 3 colors - green/purple/blue. The way he did it, if im not mistaken, is one color at a time, to achieve the same kind of swirly affect the body has. The fretboard is a really beautiful piece of cocobolo.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 03:10 PM

If you have the money.. Abyss Customs. I love mine, but they are expensive. If you leave out a lot of the frills it may not be too much more than a higher end suhr or anderson

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 04:18 PM

I've seen those abyss customs, they are pretty damn nice. They are also damn expensive as you've pointed out, they seem to sell for like 5-10 grand...

Yours is flippin' sweet though dude. Ive never seen an actual owner's picture of a quilt top one, usually they seem to be just natural wood, walnut, etc.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2007, 05:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcbest View Post
If you have the money.. Abyss Customs. I love mine, but they are expensive. If you leave out a lot of the frills it may not be too much more than a higher end suhr or anderson

Nice lookin road case. A guy with that rig MUST be out giggin. Got any vids?

Tags
body shape , custom guitar , flame maple , flame maple neck , jumbo frets , les paul , local luthier , maple neck , master tone , mini toggle , pointy headstock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode