Custom Guitar Idea - See and Share - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Custom Guitar Idea - See and Share

Here's my idea for a custom guitar:

Body: *Alder, Quilt Maple Top, Trans Black finish, No Pickguard.

Neck: *Jem neck, Rosewood fretboard, Gold "TH" Inlay @ 24th fret, no other inlays

Headstock: *Old ESP Stephen Carpenter style (like standard "pointed" headstock, with bottom point rounded off)

Electronics: *DiMarzio Breed pickups (hum-sing-hum) each with on/off switch, hums with 3-way coil tap switch (neck,both,bridge side of pickup) master on/off switch, master volume, master tone.

Hardware: *Lo-Pro, Gold hardware, Metal Dome Knobs.

Well, that's about it. *Tell me how you like it, and tell me your custom guitar ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 09:51 AM

Custom Guitar Idea

Chrome hardware, but then again I'm not really a gold guy. Other then that I'd say it already sounds awesome.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 11:40 AM

Custom Guitar Idea

In my expernience, three mini-toggles are a real pain for quickly changing pickup configs... if you want to go from the neck pickup to the bridge pickup, you have to flip two switches, instead of just one. Try doing that on the fly.

It sounds like you want a really versatile setup, but four mini-toggles sounds too complicated, and will really junk up the face of the guitar.

I'd suggest maybe a split-5 switching setup on the two humbuckers, then use a push-pull pot on the volume or tone control to bring the single coil into whatever combination you have set on the 5-way. Then use a push-pull switch on the other pot to act as the on/off switch.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2001, 12:35 PM

Custom Guitar Idea

Sounds like a good idea to me! *Are you considering a Jem style body? *

Black and gold look great together. *You can't go wrong there. *It would look cool with a 'dark' rosewood. *Maybe you could get a dark stain on it. *Rosewood rocks. *I recommend Pao Ferro rosewood.

Let us know what you decide and how the guitar comes out! *Good Luck!

Gabe
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-13-2001, 09:41 AM

Custom Guitar Idea

Yeah, it would be a Jem style body, except with the maple top. *Seeing as I have no money/time/experience to get this guitar actually made right now, it's mainly just a dream, but someday hopefully. lol *
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-14-2001, 01:42 PM

Reviews: 2
Custom Guitar Idea

Mini toggles are a real pain in the a$$.

Tip for any one who has a guitar with these.
Rotate the bridge PUP *toggle 180 degrees so you can plam all three switches and not have your guitar go silent and it makes changing from neck to bridge quicker.

OK my project guitar. I bought a s style body a few years back and in an attempt to make a Nuno guitar. However a neck was teh problem. I just cut a monkey grip in the body today but it needs a lot of filing. It has an old saber neck but I've got plans.

The Idea I'm toying with since I've been looking at my warmouth catalogue.

7/8's strat *ash body, square cut, two
hums (Tone zones probably) lo-pro Edge trem (Ideally in gold but since I've got a cosmo black one lyin around) *One push pull vol control with dual sound switching on both hums, three way toggle. Reversed strat headstock on a maple fretboard with Eric Clapton profile and extended to 24 frets. Idealy this would be the same look as a Jackson PC-1 in yellow

However as I stated in another post the strat heel annoyes me so I'd need to get a pro to make one like this with an AANJ but I might just start with teh EC reversed extenda neck and stick it on my existing 'ongoing project'

P

(Edited by Pablo at 12:54 pm on April 14, 2001)

(Edited by Pablo at 12:56 pm on April 14, 2001)

Tags
bridge pickup , bridge pup , chrome hardware , coil tap , custom guitar , dimarzio breed , dome knobs , dual sound , edge trem , eric clapton , jem neck , jem style body , maple fret , maple fretboard , master tone , mini toggle , monkey grip , neck pickup , pro edge , pro edge trem , rosewood fretboard , stephen carpenter , tone zone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode