Custom Guitar Project (LongTerm) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2008, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Custom Guitar Project (LongTerm)

Hey guys, sort of back from the dead. If you don't remember who I am, search my username and you'll see the threads about the CG renders I used to make here, although the pics are long gone now

Anyway, I would like some input on this custom guitar I'm thinking of building, although it would be a bit of a long term thing as I don't really have the money for it right now. So I'll probably just get the things I need slowly until I can build it. Ideally I wanted a JS1200, but I'll leave that for when I can order one from Rich so I can get a top-notch one

Anyway, here are the current specs I'm considering:

RG Body
- Rear routed
- Transparent pickguard (Or no pickguard)
Basswood body with Flame Maple top
24 frets
Stratocaster like maple neck (I'll get into this below)
- AANJ
- Maple fingerboard with offset dots or no inlay (??)
Ibanez Headstock shape
Gotoh Floyd Rose Tremolo

Pickups:
- Dimarzios
- Neck: PAF Pro?
- Bridge: FRED or Mo'Joe
- Middle: ??

=======================================

Now some explanations:

I like the RG body. I could use something else, but I'm dead set on reproducing an Ibanez headstock (just looks really cool ), so I thought I'd keep it all together. I actually prefer the Radius body, but since I'm going for 24 frets, I think the RG is a better option plus the fact that I would like a pickguard also, even if a transparent one, simply because I'm used to it as I have a Fender Strat.

I read a lot about wood choice, and I ended up going with a safe bet. I want to use a FRED or Mo'Joe in the bridge position, and I know it works well with Basswood because of Satch, so it's a no brainer. I just added in the flame maple top so I can paint it with transparent paint and make it look cool.

The neck profile, I want it to be strat like also because I'm used to it. I'll probably just ask the Luthier to use my strat neck as a profile and extend it for 24 frets. As for the fingerboard...well, I'm also used to maple, and from my experience, I just move around better on it. But I've also considered ebony. Rosewood doesn't really work for me though. Any input would be good.

Now the major considerations I'm making is about the pickups. I still have a lot of time before I get to a decision point, but I'd like some input so I can think it through. Now, a FRED or Mo'joe (probably a FRED) is a requirement. I want the harmonic quality it gives. What I want ideas is for the other pickups. For the neck, I could get a PAF Pro, which would also be a safe bet, or even a PAF Joe...but I thought maybe I could try something different. So any ideas on that front would be cool. I also don't know if I should use a middle pickup or not, and if I do, which one to get. Probably something that gives me a good strat like tone. I'm open to other brands as long as it's passive and works with the FRED.

So, any input at all is appreciated. I'm working on a Render this week so I can start thinking about colors and such
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 06:30 AM

Re: Custom Guitar Project (LongTerm)

This sounds like a great project. Everything sounds spot on to produce a brilliant guitar. In my opinion I reckon you should go with the maple neck and either have offset dots or very small regular ones, looks great on maple. And I'd probably leave the middle pickup out altogether, if you won't use it you may as well save on routing and wiring (plus you'd retain that small bit of wood!). Thats just my two cents, because if you did that it'd be my dream guitar!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Well, after watching G3 Live in Denver last night, I'm convinced I need a FRED and a PAF Joe in my guitar

And yeah, I agree with you on the middle pickup thing. I already have a Stratocaster that takes care of the strat sounds, so I'll leave it out and save on the money for the project And yeah, full solid maple neck is 95% sure for this guitar. As far as inlay goes though, it'll depend on what the Luthier can do. I'd like small offset dots, if not then small regular dots (not a big fan of the big ones). If neither can be done, I'll go with a blank fretboard, but that seems unlikely I think

I've been trying to work out a color, but my monitor is acting up and I lost the red color on it, so I can't really see what I'm doing, hehe. When it's normal, like right now actually, I can do some tests, and so far, I'm thinking a kind of transparent emerald green finish for the body. I'll try to post a render later tonight
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Ok, first render of the project:

I haven't done any body cutting yet (lazy), and no inlay work also (lazy&#178. I'll get to that soon. For now, I'm only trying out some color ideas. The first color that came to mind was an emerald kind of green...it's not yet quite what I want, but it's close. Need to adjust the textures in PS a bit more. I also put the pickups in a black color, which I thinks matches the combo nicely.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 01:14 PM

beautiful !
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Please note that it's a Computer Generated image and not real yet Just thought I'd clear that out
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 03:58 PM

Reviews: 120

That would look great as a real guitar. Great choice going with a Gotoh Floyd Rose too, top trem.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-sfm View Post
Thanks Please note that it's a Computer Generated image and not real yet Just thought I'd clear that out
yea, I know but, if thats what youre gonna make....
beautiful !
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 06:46 PM

nice project!!!

i see that you choice maple fingerboard.... what about a beauty quilted, birdeye or flame one??

saludos
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 07:11 PM

What rendering program did you use? And how did you get it to be proportionately correct? Looks great!
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the compliments I'm now trying to find some luthiers that can do the work I need done on the body and neck, and see how much that is going to cost me. I also need to shop for prices on the trem and pickups, which look expensive so far...might need to shop for them overseas.

DaniJem: I considered those, but tbh, I like the look of a simple maple neck. It's just easier on the eyes IMO.

Waylay: I am using 3ds Max 2008 for this and render with Mental Ray that comes built-in. The proportions aren't very hard. Just pick any of the image from the Ibanez website, used it as a base and model on top of it. The worst pieces are the Trem and the neck.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2008, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

I just accidentally found the exact finish I want in my guitar yesterday:

As soon as my new monitor arrives, I'll try to duplicate it on my render. I've been also scouting for prices on the body and so on....so far, it's like I was figuring it would be. Now just need to find someone that'll do it with the woods I want.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Okies, new render, with almost correct paintjob. Now I'm trying to figure the neck out...while I love maple fingerboards, the guitar design seems to be a bit off balance

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 05:31 PM

Hmm...maybe black hardware?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm...might be worth a try.

Tags
basswood body , bridge position , custom guitar , fender strat , flame maple , floyd rose , floyd rose trem , floyd rose tremolo , gotoh floyd rose , headstock shape , maple fingerboard , maple fingerboards , maple neck , paf joe , paf pro , strat sound

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode